Dyno'd the 2200 sunfire - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Dyno'd the 2200 sunfire
Wednesday, November 14, 2007 8:28 AM
Hey guys I ended up taking my sunfire to the dyno this past week to see how much horsepower it would pull after all the work i've put into it... i ended up producing 90.73 peak horsepower, with 108.72 max ft/lb. of torque. The conditions for the pull were as follows 59.49 F, 30.26 in.Hg. Humidity 27%. The pull was made on a DynoJet Research. The rpm meter didn't register between 4500-5000 rpms when it was at its max. so im going to say from the graph i would have probably gotten a total of 93-94 horsepower judging the way graph curved.. my mods are as follows, weapon R intake, Gasket Matching, 4-1 Pacesetter Headers, 2.25-exhaust mandrel bent. I did the pull in 2nd gear on a 3 speed automatic 1999 sunfire 2200 engine 4-door. I just put this out there so you guys could ballpark where yours might be at or if you wanted to critique me on what to do next. Thanks for looking

Drive Fast Take Chances
http://billstclair.com/blog/images/fukitol.jpg

Re: Dyno'd the 2200 sunfire
Wednesday, November 14, 2007 8:46 AM
i wish i didnt drive a ln2

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 8:51 AM
why? my ln2 is an awesomw little sleeper. looks bone stock, steel rims and 10 psi boost. i think with the bottom end redone and a little more boost,i should be able to compete with stock vettes. i can outrun a skyline gts as is
Wednesday, November 14, 2007 8:52 AM
jamin bedard wrote:why? my ln2 is an awesomw little sleeper. looks bone stock, steel rims and 10 psi boost. i think with the bottom end redone and a little more boost,i should be able to compete with stock vettes. i can outrun a skyline gts as is

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 9:38 AM
K. Vega,Now With Vitamin Boost wrote:
jamin bedard wrote:why? my ln2 is an awesomw little sleeper. looks bone stock, steel rims and 10 psi boost. i think with the bottom end redone and a little more boost,i should be able to compete with stock vettes. i can outrun a skyline gts as is

x2

Dude... your crazy.... I'm willing to bet you can't even outrun a stock Z24.......

I've outran a Vette once.... but is was a 1982 model.... so thats not really bragging....

God I hope your just screwing around...... if not..... your a retard.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 9:56 AM
Roy Niemann wrote:Hey guys I ended up taking my sunfire to the dyno this past week to see how much horsepower it would pull after all the work i've put into it... i ended up producing 90.73 peak horsepower, with 108.72 max ft/lb. of torque. The conditions for the pull were as follows 59.49 F, 30.26 in.Hg. Humidity 27%. The pull was made on a DynoJet Research. The rpm meter didn't register between 4500-5000 rpms when it was at its max. so im going to say from the graph i would have probably gotten a total of 93-94 horsepower judging the way graph curved.. my mods are as follows, weapon R intake, Gasket Matching, 4-1 Pacesetter Headers, 2.25-exhaust mandrel bent. I did the pull in 2nd gear on a 3 speed automatic 1999 sunfire 2200 engine 4-door. I just put this out there so you guys could ballpark where yours might be at or if you wanted to critique me on what to do next. Thanks for looking

take your time, read and dont get discouraged by others posts.

as for what to do next....what is YOUR goal?

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 9:56 AM
no way. i can hang with a 300zx twin turbo fairlady! can beat him, but he isn't ripping my doors off! jags, infinity's, rwd skyline. beat them all.
Wednesday, November 14, 2007 10:32 AM
jamin bedard wrote:no way. i can hang with a 300zx twin turbo fairlady! can beat him, but he isn't ripping my doors off! jags, infinity's, rwd skyline. beat them all.

Why don't you stop talking about what you have beat cause it does not mean !@#$. Come back when you have some 1/4 mile times from a dragstrip.

To the original poster. I bet a completly stock 5spd 2200 might make more power than that. Not to be a downer but throwing an intake and an exhaust on a the slowest model sunfire is just plain a waste.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 11:04 AM
i don't care about 1/4 mile. i care about showing up a car worth $40,000 with a $13,000 sunfire!
Wednesday, November 14, 2007 11:43 AM
jamin bedard wrote:no way. i can hang with a 300zx twin turbo fairlady! can beat him, but he isn't ripping my doors off! jags, infinity's, rwd skyline. beat them all.

Yeah i'm sure you did.
Wednesday, November 14, 2007 11:46 AM
Weebel wrote:
K. Vega,Now With Vitamin Boost wrote:

x2

Dude... your crazy.... I'm willing to bet you can't even outrun a stock Z24.......

I've outran a Vette once.... but is was a 1982 model.... so thats not really bragging....

God I hope your just screwing around...... if not..... your a retard.

Damn, that year of the vette is pathetic: 1982 Chevrolet Corvette 9.2 16.6 (first number is to 60, second is the quarter)
I still can't believe that the LN2 has so little horsepower, considering what all I've raced, it doesn't make any sense.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 11:52 AM
yeah im not claiming anything big numbers don't lie but then again this is with a leaking spark plug... (the threads are messed up on it) so i have to retap and coil it.. but my goals for this car right now are nothing insane maybe a little spray but thats about it im in college so im not looking for any INSANE numbers or money... just smart places to put the money in the car and the upgrades were only those that affected performance...

Drive Fast Take Chances
Wednesday, November 14, 2007 11:53 AM
13000 sunfire?? with a 2200?? my friend, you got screwed!!!

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:10 PM
i boosted my 2200 cavalier with a 3 spd auto, a couple years ago..i made 124whp and 135wtrq on a dyno dynamics dyno on 4psi..it was fun

just boost the bitch, it'll be alot faster

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 1:13 PM
13,000 cdn to start with. had it a few years and that's AFTER the turbo and other stuff.
Wednesday, November 14, 2007 1:30 PM
so wait... you have a 2200 w/turbo and you only made 90??? thats the stock HP rating...

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 1:42 PM
^^^ your not talking abou the same guy... Thats the guy thats full of $hit.

Heres my dyno sheet for my LN2 i have alot more done than you do but its still not alot of TQ & HP

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2090440

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 2:26 PM
If youre looking for some cheap performance parts, I have a few things that Im parting with relatively cheap.

PM me if youre interested
Wednesday, November 14, 2007 3:01 PM
i would like to know what other people think about the numbers that i put up there and what i could do to improve them besides doing internals and boosting... spray i am all up for doing a wet shot again i just want to make sure i get the right jets and what size of spray will not blow my engine up... but yeah... and btw to the guy with the sunfire that keeps up with vette's ... come on now be real... its best to have people think your an ricer than to open your mouth (or type) and remove all doubt...

Drive Fast Take Chances
Wednesday, November 14, 2007 3:31 PM
Roy Niemann wrote:i would like to know what other people think about the numbers that i put up there and what i could do to improve them besides doing internals and boosting... spray i am all up for doing a wet shot again i just want to make sure i get the right jets and what size of spray will not blow my engine up... but yeah... and btw to the guy with the sunfire that keeps up with vette's ... come on now be real... its best to have people think your an ricer than to open your mouth (or type) and remove all doubt...

Well numbers are about right for being a auto. A manual car with those mods would probably break 100whp. Do a 5 speed swap to pick up some hp.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 4:37 PM
Yea your numbers are pretty good for what you have done. I think aftermarket manufacturers exaggerated hp numbers for like just an intake and an exhaust and stuff...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2090440

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 5:32 PM
Honestly, with that engine and the mods you have done, I'd be happy. Keep in mind that Nitrous Nate's numbers are about 15 hp higher than a stock Ecotec should/would be. If you're just modding for fun and to see what you can do, than by all means keep at it. If you're looking for specific numbers that are pretty large, I'd suggest an Ecotec or 2.4L swap. As stated though a 5 speed tranny or a high performance torque converter might help you out a little bit more. Good luck and most importantly, have fun

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 5:47 PM
Roy, you still have a nearly stock motor with bolt ons. Best gains will come from a P&Ped head with oversized valves and a cam regrind. Port matching doesn't do a whole lot, most of the gains in flow would be in the bowl area and the valve size. I still feel the collectors on the PaceSetter header sucks. If you can find a good exhaust shop get the collector cut off and replace it with a 2.5" collector from Stahl or Stan's and 2.5" pipe to atleast the cat.

Nate, I still think you need to do what I said in the other post, you just might have a whole new outlook on these motors.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 6:47 PM
Roy Niemann wrote:yeah im not claiming anything big numbers don't lie but then again this is with a leaking spark plug... (the threads are messed up on it) so i have to retap and coil it.. but my goals for this car right now are nothing insane maybe a little spray but thats about it im in college so im not looking for any INSANE numbers or money... just smart places to put the money in the car and the upgrades were only those that affected performance...

If you care about performance then just sell that car. It is a waste to throw money at it for minimal gains when you could get more power out of a another completly stock jbody.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 7:53 PM
Scarab (Jersey Jay 1.8T) wrote:
Wade Jarvis wrote:Wow lets see who wasted the most money on a 2.2 turd of an engine.

Just for once, I'd like to see an OHV thread that didn't have an LD9 or eco guy pop in to swing his e-nuts around... Maybe just to return the favor i'll start going around to all the eco and LD9 threads and start posting stupid crap like "Why would you waste that kind of money on a 2.4? LN2 4eva!".... Oh wait, thats right, I have better things to do with my time than to read threads i'm not interested in just to sh*t talk.... Sad that others can actually find the time to waste in such pursuits.

You must have alot of free time!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search