pacesetter headers?? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
pacesetter headers??
Sunday, November 11, 2007 5:54 PM
are pacesetter headers anygood are they better than stock i was thinking about the pacesetter 4-2-1 and idk if there any good i have a 98 2.2l cavalier

Re: pacesetter headers??
Sunday, November 11, 2007 6:00 PM
I have a Pacesetter 4-1 on my '02 2200.

It gave a nice gain over stock.

You gotta watch out for the ball/cup joint, Id recommend solid motor mounts if you dont have already, otherwise you may run into problems with it not sealing.

Mine after HOURS of work taking it off and refitting it, STILL doesnt fit quite right.

Id recommend it because its not too expensive, and if you dont get the coated on, youre going to want to paint it or suffer some rust.
Monday, November 12, 2007 7:13 AM
As just stated get the ceramic coated ones. We have them @ www.TurboTechRacing.com at a good price.

Also solid motor mounts will keep the ball and socket joint sealed up better on the header. That is a very good point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, November 12, 2007 7:14 AM

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Monday, November 12, 2007 12:16 PM
hi, i have a question about them also. i just got offered a pacesetter 4:1 header with down pipe for 200$ is this a good deal or is it even worth buying? oh and my car is a 97 z24 and this header is from a 2000 z24 will it even fit?

click sig for my car audio videos
Monday, November 12, 2007 12:23 PM
Thats a real good deal, I'm not sure about the Z-24 engine (2.4) but the '97 2.2 engines have EGR, whereas the '99+ (i believe, maybe '00+) do not. So essentially you'll be deleting the EGR, but I dunno how that will affext the engines reliability/performance. There are EGR eliminator kits available, so its probably not that bad a thing.

Monday, November 12, 2007 12:25 PM
If it is ceramic coated it is a fairly good deal. (Save about $30 off of new)

If it is a painted one, NO WAY we have them NEW a lot cheaper than that.

Might want to compare them to the price on www.TurboTechRacing.com

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Monday, November 12, 2007 12:48 PM
Anton Miller wrote:hi, i have a question about them also. i just got offered a pacesetter 4:1 header with down pipe for 200$ is this a good deal or is it even worth buying? oh and my car is a 97 z24 and this header is from a 2000 z24 will it even fit?

the 96-98 2.4 has egr , and the header has a port for the egr to work

the 99-02 do not have egr and thus have no egr port , how ever if the flange is the flat flange(not the welded o-ring port flange) you can grind a notch in the flange so that the egr can still function properly , just follow the 96-98 gasket for a pattern

Monday, November 12, 2007 1:07 PM
Turbo Tech Racing wrote:If it is ceramic coated it is a fairly good deal. (Save about $30 off of new)

If it is a painted one, NO WAY we have them NEW a lot cheaper than that.

Might want to compare them to the price on www.TurboTechRacing.com

it has a black heat reducing coat on it said the guy is that ceramic or just paint? but will it work, a 2000 header on a 97?

click sig for my car audio videos
Monday, November 12, 2007 1:11 PM
the black is paint, the ceramic is a not quite chrome looking color

Monday, November 12, 2007 1:27 PM
black is paint and will burn off , unless someone had a place coat it with a black ceramic coating

the armor coating or steerling ceramic , looks like a polished aluminum wheel

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 10:27 PM
may i suggest the 45$ stainless steel ones on e-bay !! they are EXACT copies of the pacesetter and wont rust as much (cheap stainless do rust a bit)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-02-CHEVY-CAVALIER-SUNBIRD-2-2L-X-TUNE-HEADER-EXHAUST_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQihZ016QQitemZ260180913012QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

At least the "ball joint" wont melt like the standard steel one

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 10:59 PM
No you may not suggest that rip off china made piece of @!#$. @!#$ like that helps to kill the real American companies that are not supporting our cars anymore. Do you want Pacesetter to stop making parts for our cars because there is cheaper chinacopy on ebay? I've got $5 saying the chinese $50 ebay short shifter is the reason the B&M didn't get enough support for the Isuzu tranny.

Let's not even forget about Wings West, I'm sure crappy ass copies helped to put them down. Throwing them in just to show that its not performance parts alone taking hits from crappy rip offs and the dumbasses that buy them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, November 13, 2007 11:08 PM

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 11:52 PM
i have the pacesetter 4-1 ceramic coated header, i have no problems. it is definately better than stock, and the price isnt too bad either.

keep this in mind: Modding cars is expensive, if you want more power, be prepared to spend more money. also you get what you pay for

12.33 @ 111.67 mph [Oct 2009]
Dyno'd on 08/02/09 - Mustang Dyno:
327.6 WHP 333.6 WTQ [10.1 AFR]
Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:05 AM
I'm only suggesting that i paid 300$ for Pacesetter headers that i had to ditch because the ball kept melting and that they cracked about 25 times because they rusted into pieces and that the chinese @!#$ still holds flawlessly and they costed me less than half.... sorry but i cant afoard new pacesetters every 2 years. Just checked and they did lower their prices dramaticaly since i've bought them 3 years ago but still does not make for the lack of material quality. My cars header do get red every day... it's not for looks!! If pacesetter made them from stainless steel (at a reasonable price too) to start with i would'nt have had to buy a chinese copy.

KFLO wrote:No you may not suggest that rip off china made piece of @!#$. @!#$ like that helps to kill the real American companies that are not supporting our cars anymore. Do you want Pacesetter to stop making parts for our cars because there is cheaper chinacopy on ebay? I've got $5 saying the chinese $50 ebay short shifter is the reason the B&M didn't get enough support for the Isuzu tranny.

Let's not even forget about Wings West, I'm sure crappy ass copies helped to put them down. Throwing them in just to show that its not performance parts alone taking hits from crappy rip offs and the dumbasses that buy them.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 4:47 AM
Ball keep Melting. HOW THE HELL HOT is your exhaust, and cracked 25 times....maybe you bought a cheap ripoff of a pacesetter in the first place. A ceramic coated pacesetter header holds up fine. Hell even my rusted to hell non ceramic coated pacesetter has held up for YEARS fine.

Post a pic of this god header you have. I can not believe this crap that is flowing from your mouth.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, November 14, 2007 4:52 AM
AMARZZATA wrote:because the ball kept melting and that they cracked about 25 times because they rusted into pieces

I wanna see proof of this. I highly doubt your claims are real. even if they are real... why didn't you call Pacesetter when the first problem arose?

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 7:07 AM
KFLO wrote:No you may not suggest that rip off china made piece of @!#$. @!#$ like that helps to kill the real American companies that are not supporting our cars anymore. Do you want Pacesetter to stop making parts for our cars because there is cheaper chinacopy on ebay? I've got $5 saying the chinese $50 ebay short shifter is the reason the B&M didn't get enough support for the Isuzu tranny.

I couldn't agree more...

Take it one step further... IF Pacesetter did go out of business OR any other american company in a similar case, WHO would the china made items copy from? They (China) wont make they, because they do ZERO R&D and testing.

PACSETTER > CHINA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, November 14, 2007 7:08 AM

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 7:43 AM
What is required to install a Pacesetter header on a 99 2200?? need to remove any other parts??

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 9:07 AM
I hate Pacesetter products. I ordered one for my Talon. It turned out it was a downgrade from stock. None of the runners would line up correctly with the head. The Exhaust gasket given to me was made of FOAM and for a 2.8L Chevy V6. Welding was of poor quality and to top it off, it was a b*&th of a long wait to arrive.

Barely Street Legal!!!
Wednesday, November 14, 2007 10:15 AM
AMARZZATA wrote: Pacesetter headers that i had to ditch because the ball kept melting and that they cracked about 25 times

Is your car running pig rich or something, can't see why it woudl get so hot.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:09 PM
FReQ Z wrote:
AMARZZATA wrote:because the ball kept melting and that they cracked about 25 times because they rusted into pieces

I wanna see proof of this. I highly doubt your claims are real. even if they are real... why didn't you call Pacesetter when the first problem arose?

Since when aftermarket parts are covered by some kind of waranty?? Anyway, i went to the speedshop who sold it to me and he said that the best he could do is sell me another one at his cost (which was still more than the chinese stainless one)....

This thing has been sent to junkyard long ago

"Ball keep Melting. HOW THE HELL HOT is your exhaust, and cracked 25 times....maybe you bought a cheap ripoff of a pacesetter in the first place. A ceramic coated pacesetter header holds up fine. Hell even my rusted to hell non ceramic coated pacesetter has held up for YEARS fine.

Post a pic of this god header you have. I can not believe this crap that is flowing from your mouth."

How hot? Red ... And i doubt the cheap ripoff's come with pace-setter box, stickers and all.
Maybe the ceramic coated one is beter, but it's even more expensive too (was 500$ back then for the ceramic coated one if i remember well)

"Is your car running pig rich or something, can't see why it woudl get so hot"

Engine runs fine up to redline.... this is the problem lol. I belive it's mostly the 6000+ RPM for 15-20 min at a time that was making the ball melt ... and too much heat cycles tends to make steel crack... just like the brakes. If i drived normally it was ok but i did'nt buy headers to ride like my grandma. If you've never seen your header get red is cuz you dont need them in the first place

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:16 PM
DavefromEngland wrote:
AMARZZATA wrote: Pacesetter headers that i had to ditch because the ball kept melting and that they cracked about 25 times

Is your car running pig rich or something, can't see why it woudl get so hot.

Holy hell, dave.... your still alive? AF misses you, LOL

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 3:13 PM
After some thinking I realize using American companies wasn't a great example. But I meant companies that do put the real time and effort behind making a real product only to take a hit because some p.o.s. company copies the idea and makes it overseas. That I just cannot stand for as an enthusiast, especially one who has worked with a few different small companies. It takes a grassroots effort to keep our cars in good parts, and the $45 header totally undermines that. And 6000+ rpm for 15-20 minutes, I think you just helped to explain everything I'm getting at. No circumstances other than being a dumbass require prolonged rpms for that amount of time. Road course racing would be the closest, and that's still not 6,000 rpm for 15-20 minutes, if it were your built engine wouldn't be using a cheapass header.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 3:50 PM
red hot?

are you kidding me.... unless your car is boosted.... you have a serious problem if the header is getting red

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 6:29 PM
ive had my pacesetter ceramic coated header for over 3 years now. no cracking, no ball melting, nothing like this craftsman AMARZZATA is saying

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search