Vibrant catback exhaust - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Vibrant catback exhaust
Sunday, November 11, 2007 4:12 AM
I am lookin to replace my megan racing exhaust with a vibrant catback exhaust system. How is the quality and fit of this system? Also my reason for getting rid of the megan is because of the look and fit and how bad it droans inside the car. I would just rather have a nice looking muffler that can be tucked up under the car some instead of my muffler hanging way below the bumper. If anyone has the vibrant is it a fairly quiet or loud exhaust. Just gauging a idea of wether I will do this or just get a borla muffler and put in place of the megan racing muffler.

2009 Ford Mustang V6

Re: Vibrant catback exhaust
Sunday, November 11, 2007 7:24 AM
Drew in town here, has a sunfire with a 2.2 OHV. He has the vibrant cat back (which is 2 3/8" pipe diameter) and it is actually on the quiet side if anything. Fitment was great when we installed it for him. If you have any questions, just let us know, we can help you out.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Sunday, November 11, 2007 7:56 AM
Does it tuck up under the car nicely or does it hang down any, especially the rear section? I found a vid of one on youtube on a eco and it was hanging kinda low. Does anyone have and vids of it on a 2200? I am really interested in this.

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Sunday, November 11, 2007 8:14 AM
This is the only vid I found, Vibrant on eco

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Sunday, November 11, 2007 8:43 AM
why not just buy a stock style magnaflow muffler (so it tucks up better and doesnt look rice) and a resonator and call it a day?

Sunday, November 11, 2007 9:20 AM
Here's a picture of the vibrant exhaust on my 03 cavalier ls sport! I'd say it fits nicely in the space provided for the exhaust.

- 2003 CHEVY CAVALIER LS SPORT ECOTEC -

- Current Mods -
-- Vibrant Exhaust & DC Sport Header --
-- Lower Motor Mount & TTR Upper Motor Mount --
-- B&M ShiftPlus & Vibrant Front STB --
-- K&N Typhoon Short Ram Intake --

RIP DAD<3 We love & miss you so much!
Sunday, November 11, 2007 9:51 AM
mine tucks up pretty nice. its all in the install. th rear hanger needed to be lowered a bit to get the tip to clear the bumper properly, but in doing that, the rear hanger would only have one bolt holding it up. the guys who installed it for me put a self tapping screw up in the other hole to make it more sturdy. all in all, install went ok, but i had to make a modification or two to make it a little better.

These are the pics of the exhaut on my 97 z24. sorry the pictures are so large, they havent been resized.

Modifaction was made to the placement of that hanger in the last picture.

all in all im happy with the exhaust. still a touch on the louder side, but im getting used to it.

hope these help. rob.

1997 RedR - ZedR
Sunday, November 11, 2007 10:46 AM
Thanks everyone, I want the vibrant catback and not a magnaflow muffler. I have never really cared for the sound of magnaflow personally. The vibrant seems like it's the way to go maybe soon there will be a megan racing catback up forsale fairly cheep. Still looking forward to getting some sound clips of the vibrant though. Thanks again everyone for the help so far.

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Sunday, November 11, 2007 12:42 PM
hook up with tom (wrench monkey) i believe his last dyno vid has a very acurate representation of what the vibrant catback sounds like... although its on an ld9 car, idk how much different the OHV sounds in comparison, but his sounds TITS...

pm me about the megan...

Sunday, November 11, 2007 1:06 PM
I want a vibrant catback also, i dont mind a bit of modification, what did you ever install that didnt need to be cut up a bit. Will the ecotec vibrant fit a 96 sunfire? I thought they were the same, the reason im asking is because there is an awesome deal on the ecotec vibrant exhaust.
Sunday, November 11, 2007 1:43 PM
the exhaust systems on j-bodies are the exact same from the cat back, except for placement of hangers and such. hence where some modifications are needed. mine was designed for a 00-02 2.4L LD9, not the 99 and older. thats why i had to move that exhaust hanger that you can see near the exhaust clamps in the last pictures.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=398506&t=398506#398506

thats the post i made with all of my sound clips.

enjoy

1997 RedR - ZedR

Sunday, November 11, 2007 2:34 PM
Thanks for that link that is very cool.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Sunday, November 11, 2007 3:37 PM
Thanks! It shouldnt be a problem if i get a muffler shop to do it. Just weld in some stainless steel hangers, and get everything aligned. Thanks again, im probably going to get one!
Sunday, November 11, 2007 3:55 PM
Dyno vid of my car and a balt ss

Street vid of my car

I <3 my exhaust. Ask any of the team green guys and they will tell you it sounds awesome.

Sunday, November 11, 2007 4:21 PM
Sounds GREAT! I cant wait! This is my choice.How much different is the ecotec brackets from a 96 2.2?
Sunday, November 11, 2007 4:33 PM
The 1999-05 are all the same, I think there is only 1 bracket different on the earlier 1995-98 models.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Sunday, November 11, 2007 5:42 PM
Anyone know what the biggest resonator will fit on it is? I have a header, and plan on getting a high flow cat.
Sunday, November 11, 2007 9:26 PM
I ended up cutting off the muffler on mine, and putting in a flowmaster 40 series.

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Tuesday, November 13, 2007 10:11 PM
Man I really want to pick one of these exhaust up.

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Friday, May 23, 2008 1:06 AM
Just installed mine, I think it tucks up under the bumper VERY WELL! It does NOT stick out past the bumper, matter of fact it is about 3/4" back.

They cut the hanger for the muffler off, then Tig Welded a piece a few inches longer so it would clear my Type-J rear. Tig welding with Stainless rod. NO Rust. Also the one clamp that goes in front of the rear section, I bought a Stainless steel clamp for $12.00 so that won'r rust either.

I love the sound, it is very DEEP and has a nice Rumble to it. However along with my Header and hi flow cat, WOW it is LOUD at wide open throttle. Sounds great and fits great.

Friday, May 23, 2008 1:30 AM
I went for a ride in my buddys cav (has an eco) when he gets on it you can certainly hear it. I was impressed with it though wouldnt mind it on my cav.

JBOK.org / J-Bodies of Kentucky

Friday, May 23, 2008 2:59 AM
looks good. its a well made exhaust for the money, im sure you will be happy. and your right, tucks up nice.

1997 Cavalier Z24 - 15.647 @ 88.02 MPH
Friday, May 23, 2008 4:41 AM
steve white wrote:Anyone know what the biggest resonator will fit on it is? I have a header, and plan on getting a high flow cat.

Uhh someone has tucked up a 30" resonator in the straight section of the mid pipe right after the cat I believe...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search