pullinjg the motor out of my 05 cav.. have one question - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
pullinjg the motor out of my 05 cav.. have one question
Saturday, November 10, 2007 11:32 AM
Is it easier to pull the subframe and lift the car or seperate the tranny from the motor and pull it out with a cherry picker?

------------------------------------------------------------

Re: pullinjg the motor out of my 05 cav.. have one question
Saturday, November 10, 2007 1:36 PM
For me I say undo all the coolent lines and AC lines. Then undo the main harness and just pull everything out together after the axels are taken out unless you want to just pull the motor out. It gets tight but the flywheel bolts are easier to do out of the engine bay.

Saturday, November 10, 2007 2:26 PM
Its much easier to pull out the top as mentioned above. you can pull the whole tyranny and motor out the top in one piece, just disconnect the axles.

Mitsu TD06-20g |3" Downpipe w/ Cutout | 61mm Bored TB |
HP Tuners | Innovate WB02 | Spec Stage 3 | TurboTech Upper | Full Addco Sways | Sportlines & Yellows |
Saturday, November 10, 2007 3:31 PM
pop out the axles, unhook all the lines and get an engine leveler.

You have to tilt the engine towards the driver side to get it out with the trans.

-Chris

Saturday, November 10, 2007 4:54 PM
depends if your auto or standerd... i have pulled lots of these engines now and with a standerd trany unbolt the engine/trany mounts and lower the engine to the ground and set it on something soft like a few layers of thick cardboard or something then use your picker and hook it up to the front of the car (i went threw the shock mounts and down the the K memember on either side and used the picker to lift the front end up and then i just slide the engine out ... very easy

if its an auto, disconect the engine and trany and the engine just pulls up out of the top easy...

if you lived near me id say bring it by and id have you drive in friday night and have you leaving saturday night with the new engine in

The First Twin Charged jbody
blue car (R.I.P) - 240whp @7psi..
silver car - 305whp 315lbs.tq @15psi (91 Octane) or 420whp & 425lbs.TQ @20psi (94 octane+Alcohol Injection)
All dynos run on a Mustang dyno
Saturday, November 10, 2007 5:57 PM
if your not gonna do anything to the tranny (which you should install an LSD and mounts) then just split the engine/tranny and take just the engine out. you dont even need to take the axels out if you leave the tranny.

Saturday, November 10, 2007 7:07 PM
pull it out from up top. we had to have to take the timing chain cover off in order for it to slide out of the trans enough to pull out.

12.5@116 2.0 60ft
Sunday, November 11, 2007 8:21 AM
question for you..what you doing with the mounting brackets on the engine?(left upper)
Sunday, November 11, 2007 8:38 AM
hmmm, i always thought it be easier to drop the engine from the bottom. learn something new everyday

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, November 11, 2007 8:41 AM
99redz24 wrote:hmmm, i always thought it be easier to drop the engine from the bottom. learn something new everyday

how would dropping the entire subframe be easier then just taking off the hood and pulling it from the top?

Sunday, November 11, 2007 11:14 AM
John H helped me get my motor out, I did just the motor out the top, took me abouit 15 minutes to get it out after I had the all the liens and sensors unhooked and tranny unbolted

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Monday, November 12, 2007 9:16 AM
z yaaaa wrote:if your not gonna do anything to the tranny (which you should install an LSD and mounts) then just split the engine/tranny and take just the engine out. you dont even need to take the axels out if you leave the tranny.

Yea I might as well, this is gonna get pricey though haha

might as well go all out while I'm at it though.

Monday, November 12, 2007 10:08 AM
When I did mine I removed the hood and pulled both the engine and transmission together out the top. That was very easy. Getting it in was more of a challenge since the transmission got caught on evrything. If you pull it out the top you will want to angle it so the engine is tipped up higher than the transmission.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 12:19 PM
Instead of disconnecting the AC lines wouldnt it just be easier to seperate the AC compressor from the motor so I wont have to have my AC recharged?

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 12:29 PM
^^^^ Yup, just disconnect the compressor from the block. I find it easier to pull the engine from the top.

Quoth the Raven 'Nevermore
raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Tuesday, November 13, 2007 12:53 PM
cavmania wrote:Instead of disconnecting the AC lines wouldnt it just be easier to seperate the AC compressor from the motor so I wont have to have my AC recharged?

Good call thats the reason my A/C hasn't been hooked up for over a year now, not that I ever used it.

Mitsu TD06-20g |3" Downpipe w/ Cutout | 61mm Bored TB |
HP Tuners | Innovate WB02 | Spec Stage 3 | TurboTech Upper | Full Addco Sways | Sportlines & Yellows |
Tuesday, November 13, 2007 1:01 PM
cavmania wrote:Instead of disconnecting the AC lines wouldnt it just be easier to seperate the AC compressor from the motor so I wont have to have my AC recharged?

That is how I did mine.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 3:32 PM
Wade Jarvis wrote:

That is how I did mine.

seems a little smarter to save $$

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 5:57 AM
listening very closely to this thread....

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 8:32 AM
on the compressor deal, yeah just unbolt it from the block. however it might become a pain later when your putting the engine back in as it will just be 'there' lol, try and strap it down and out of the way. same goes with the power steering and all the other ish you dont need to be removing.

Friday, November 16, 2007 12:40 PM
At the Ford dealership i used to work at all the Techs dropped the motors and trannys out the bottom. Anyway i would remove the tranny with the motor anyway u do it, you will have alot more room to remove and reinstall the tranny to the motor. I know it was alot easier when i did the motor in my Grand Prix. Thats my 2 pennies.

You ask why?, I ask why not?

03' Base Coupe Cavy
ECOTEC, 5-speed
2001-2002 Z/24 Trunk Conversion
+ Smaller Things

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search