ohv coil swap help - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ohv coil swap help
Saturday, October 27, 2007 9:59 AM
Ive been wanting to do this mod on my ld9 for a while now, but now its getting colder and Ill be boosting soon, so I want the extra spark and want to smooth out my startups and rpm's on colder starts. I have a few questions though.

Ive gone through tons of threads, and realize there are a few ways to do this; Im not going to be using the msd adapters. So, let me get this straight...I need the complete coils,icm,and plugs with a bit of wire from a pre 1998 2.2? Along with my 2.4 parts which I have. Ill be using factory 2.2 coils and plug wires, seeing as I dont have much money right now and want this mod soon. I want to try this and make sure its ok first before upgrading to msd parts or whatever, but I may get a cheap universal accel or taylor plug wire kit and just use the factory coils.

Does anyone have the wiring diagram they can email me? Or would anyone wire the kit for me if I send you the parts? If so let me know a price.

What kind of plugs are reccomended with this setup and at what gap?

Sorry I know all of this has been covered, but all the info is cluttered up and hard to get straight answers for me. Thanks.

Re: ohv coil swap help
Saturday, October 27, 2007 10:15 AM
not sure how to do the wire up, but i have a set of coils,icm and wires from my 98 2200 tryin to sell them cheap, let me know if your interested

Saturday, October 27, 2007 10:28 AM
Yea Im interested man. Just as long as I can use the parts from a 98. pm me with a price.

Monday, October 29, 2007 2:11 PM
???

Monday, October 29, 2007 8:12 PM
wiring is simple.. the clip from the 2.2 uses the same color wires.. so just cut off your pulg for the 2.4 icm and attach the wires for your 2.2 icm plug.. thats all you really need to do.. and it helps alot.. i had some misfires and what not but i have not had one since i did the swap

-- MyZcar

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 11:27 AM
Hey is anyone willing to build me one? I have the cash just no time.
C

2000 Cavalier soon to be a boost tard!
Wednesday, December 12, 2007 3:38 PM
if you have cash and no time the adaptors would make it soooooo much easier

Thursday, December 13, 2007 1:41 AM
I'd like one of those adaptor, too. Who's got 'em and do they make one for the '94 2.2L just to relocate the ICM?

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Friday, January 11, 2008 5:39 AM
Alright bringing my thread back...

I did the swap using stock 2.2 coils/wires/icm with ngk tr55's gapped at .060; good mod, got rid of some misfires at lower rpms and ran smoother. Now just yesterday I upgraded to msd #8224 coils and msd universal 8.5mm wires and now the car seems like it has problems in the lower rpms. The car started fine great, but drove like ass and almost died a few times; it runs ok now but still studders down low.

I know the wires are hooked up right, but when removing the 2.2 wires one of the spark connectors in the wiresgot stuck to the cyl 1 plug, I guess the motor was still a bit warm or something but could this have damaged the plug causeing cyl 1 misfires? I got a new plug which Ill try but idk. Does it matter which coil mounts mounts to the cylinders or no? Meaning, should I try switching the msd coil from 1-4 with the coil on 2-3 or does it not matter with the msd coils as long as their mounted on the icm properly?

I also have the msd adapter modules which Im not using, should I try these or would these even give better spark over the spliced in 2.2 icm plugs? I think Im going to try replacing the cyl 1 plug, if not then try the 2.2 wires then coils to see if either of the msd parts could be bad.

Thanks

Friday, January 11, 2008 12:24 PM
Anyone have anything?

Friday, January 11, 2008 1:33 PM
just do what you said, change the #1 plug then swap the wires and then swap the coils and let us know if that makes a change

Friday, January 11, 2008 6:59 PM
Well I replaced the cyl 1 plug, runs much better. Im still gona check the coils and wires tomorow as well as my plugs to make sure everything checks out ok. I still need to get icm plugs with more wire so I can mount these bishes somewhere instead of them just sitting there lol.

Saturday, January 12, 2008 9:12 PM
Section8Cav,
Where can I get the adapters?
Clay

2000 Cavalier soon to be a boost tard!
Saturday, January 12, 2008 9:37 PM
00 Cavi MAN! wrote:Section8Cav,
Where can I get the adapters?
Clay

I have them if your interested.pm me

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search