Dynomax turbo side/center vs. side/side exit - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Dynomax turbo side/center vs. side/side exit
Friday, October 26, 2007 7:17 AM
Just picke a side/center dynomax turbo muffler up for when I do my exhaust and I've been looking at it an it seems like there is no way it could flow nearly as well as a side/side exit turbo muffler, the pipe goes in and then hits a turn that looks like it runs right into the side of the exit pipe not in it. It looks like the exhaust gases have to travel between the pipes and not through them and then it goes to another turn which pushes the gas into the opposite side of the muffler and directly into the center exit pipe.

This just doesn't look like the path pictured in all of the side/side exit pictures they use it looks like the exhaust flow does not have a good straight path to flow though like the side/side mufflers. Anyone have any idea how well these paticular mufflers work? Thanks,

Will

Re: Dynomax turbo side/center vs. side/side exit
Monday, October 29, 2007 5:03 AM
No one has any information on this? It just doesn't look like it would flow as well, but I dont, air could travel well through the muffler just as good without the same path i guess...
Monday, October 29, 2007 5:57 AM
http://www.dynomax.com/products/superturbo.html

that is a link to the dynomax website with information on their super turbo muffler

by the looks of it, what happens is your exhaust gasses will flow into the inlet, bounce off of their flow deflector # 1, through the center baffle and off of flow deflector #2, then through the the last chamber and out the outlet.

this is a reflective style muffler. generally it will have some absorbtion material in it aswell, like fiberglass, etc. it leads to a nice quiet exhaust note. generally the better flow for performance comes from the muffler design being slightly less restrictive then stock but mainly its due to the larger inlet and outlet.

its pretty cool how they work. the baffles will bounce sound waves of similar frequency back and forth withing the exhaust chamber. when the sound waves of the same frequency hit eachother, they cancel eachother out and make things quieter. ths is the same reason why straight through mufflers dont sound that quiet. they dont have the baffles, just sound absorbing fiberglass. the fiberglass will absorb some of the sound and eliminate what it can, but alot of sound frequency still gets out.

hope this info helps.

1997 RedR - ZedR
Tuesday, October 30, 2007 5:27 AM
I understand how the muffler in the picture you posted works, but the one I purchased is a side enterance center exit, and it doesn't have those nice smooth bends for the gasses to travel through.

if you look at the pick say the gas enters on the left side where it then curves up and does a 180 turn and goes back the other direction through another pipe and then does another 180 around the nice smooth corner and exits out the muffler.

Now imagine that at the first turn the gas slams directly into the side of a pipe because the middle pipe in the picture, on my muffler is the exit pipe, and thats how my muffler is set up. How can that possibly flow nearly as well?
Tuesday, October 30, 2007 6:40 AM
Why are you so concerned with your freaking muffler? It is an improvement over stock I am sure. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by a "higher flowing" muffler. The exhaust gasses by this point are so cooled off that they don't really care what they are flowing out of. Unless there is a blatant blockage point, I wouldn't worry about it. Stop making such a big deal about the little ricer mods and do something worth talking about.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 7:01 AM
if its not worth talking about then why are you posting to this thread?
Tuesday, October 30, 2007 10:05 AM
Quote:

Why are you so concerned with your freaking muffler? It is an improvement over stock I am sure. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by a "higher flowing" muffler. The exhaust gasses by this point are so cooled off that they don't really care what they are flowing out of. Unless there is a blatant blockage point, I wouldn't worry about it. Stop making such a big deal about the little ricer mods and do something worth talking about.

Thanks for the attack but this "ricer mod" ( not sure how dynomax turbo mufflers are rice) is going on the end of a pacesetter armor coated header and 2.25 exhaust, and I am trying to figure out, exactly like you stated, if this is a blatant blockage point because it looks like it is.

If anyone has anything useful to say I would appricieate it...
Tuesday, October 30, 2007 10:15 AM
What wasn't useful about that post? I am saying DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT. In my opinion there isn't much science to exhaust past the headers. It is all ust a tube carrying exhaust gas. Make sure it is fairly smooth and there aren't any sharp angles. Use a decent name brand muffler and you will be fine. Your cavalier is not pushing enough exhaust to care what muffler you use. Find one that sounds decent and looks good. They dynomax you have found will be a good choice. It IS NOT A RESTRICTION.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 11:28 AM
allright thats cool, but have you ever actually looked inside a side/center dynomax turbo muffler? they look very restrictive, like taking the 2.5 " pipe diameter and forcing the gas between the space between pipes, not through them, that space seems about 1" wide.
Tuesday, October 30, 2007 1:30 PM
For the last time, the exhaust gas at that point is so cool that it is barely moving, technically a smaller diameter pipe will allow for a faster moving exhaust gas to some extent. The muffler is not restricive I promise. People with some respect for other people's ears run chambered mufflers. They are quiet and do just fine performance wise.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 4:50 PM
some dont have those deflector plates on them. the dynomax catalog will tell you if they dont if you look up the part number of your muffler. im sure it works on a similar principle as the one i posted above, even though yours is a slightly different configuration.

like i said, the main performance upgrade is going to be from upgrading to the larger diameter piping, not so much the muffler. the design of the turbo muffler is still better than the stock design, but still a bit more restrictive than a straight through muffler like mine. straight throughs are much louder though.

1997 RedR - ZedR

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 6:48 AM
Allright, thanks. Thats what my concern was though, that I would be putting on 2.25" piping and then running it through a muffler that squeezed it down to like 1" because looking inside this thing, it just LOOKS very restrictive, heck if you ever have the chance to see inside this style you will instantly know what I am taling about, I didn't want to have a great header back exhaust system and then squeeze it through a 1" opening at the end and kill any gains. I know the muffler doesn't give huge if any gains, but I was more concerned with the flow being killed by a very restrictive daimeter at the end.
Wednesday, October 31, 2007 10:19 AM
I HAVE THE EXACT SETUP.......feels great sounds good lil bit of poping but it sounds great......the header is what set mine off for me.....no resticions just a lil more back presure than straight thru......
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search