Exhaust - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Exhaust
Thursday, October 25, 2007 11:32 PM
Ok guys. Another exhaust question. I'm doing my exhaust next week and ordered parts allready. So far I have an OBX header, 31" cherry bomb resonator, and a flowmaster muffler. Ok now Im aiming for a nice deep aggressive sound but not to loud. Im connecting all this with 2.5" compression bent piping. Do you guys think this will sound and perform nice? I also have an LO manifold thats going on next week as well. And Im hunting for secret cams as we speak. Thanks for the input guys.

Re: Exhaust
Friday, October 26, 2007 7:09 AM
Bump for the morning crew.
Friday, October 26, 2007 7:55 AM
i've never been a fan of flowmaster mufflers on 4 cyl cars as they usually sound like crap unless you're boosted. You're definitely headed in the right direction with the 31" resonator, that will help a ton. What are you planning on running for a cat, or are you not gonna run one at all? I'd say that your setup will sound pretty good. I think it will still be a little on the loud side, just based on my experience with flowmaster mufflers.

Friday, October 26, 2007 10:11 AM
Im not running a cat. The flowmaster muffler was free, its off of a 300zx catback system. I'll see how it sounds i guess. Thanks for the reply keep them coming.
Friday, October 26, 2007 10:39 AM
no cat = loud.

catalytic converters probably do more to quiet a car than the resonator does.

not diggin compression bent, but whatever you can do go for it.

it should be quiet at idle, but it's going to get pretty damn loud when you jump on it.

Friday, October 26, 2007 11:48 AM
Thats the same glasspack Im using, but Im also using a dynomax st and stans header. I also have no cat. It shouldnt be too loud, mines not that bad but your obx style header may add a bit of rasp. My exhaust now is definitely quieter and not as raspy as when I had a pacesetter header and magnaflow cat with no res though.

Compression bent flows pretty much as good as mandrel, but I just hate the way it looks. The bends look like complete a** lol.

Friday, October 26, 2007 10:51 PM
Yeah i know compression bends aren't that great b/c you don't know what the diameter is in the bends. But, it's all I have access to here. So you think the header will add rasp? What is the Stans header and where can I get one, I all ready ordered the OBX but just wondering.

And that quite idle is what Im looking for really. I guess a light rumble under 3k is great and after that I dont care what it sounds like b/c if Im above 3k, its for a good reason.

So what other header are out for the LD9 besides the OBX, pacesetter and RK sport?
Saturday, October 27, 2007 2:06 AM
My header is made by isuzu performance, also known as bill's or stan's or whatever people wanna call it. Mines a ceramice 4-2-1 which are about $700 new. but I got mine used. Ill also be getting rid of mine in another month or so cause Im gona turbo. I say the obx will add a bit of rasp, mostly because the downpipe design the ball and socket dont seal very well and leak. Some say they dont have any leaking problems, some say they do. Im also not sure if the longer runner 4-1 design adds rasp, but when I got rid of my pacesetter my exhaust was much deeper but i did switch to an rk 4-2-1.

My exhuast is very deep and pretty quiet until right around over 3k, but after that it gets kinda loud obviously.

For headers theres pacesetter,obx,tsudo,and the older rk 4-2-1 which are pretty much all the same design. Then theres the stans 4-2-1, rk 4-2-1, dc 4-2-1, and whatever else Im missing.

Saturday, October 27, 2007 11:09 AM
Wow I found that website. That header looks really tuned...I think theres other mods I can do for power before I have a need for that. Its sounds sick though. I guess I'll have to post a vid of the exhaust clip when its done.
Saturday, October 27, 2007 12:58 PM
The largest resonator I could get under my car was a 23 inch.... how the heck do you fit a 31 inch in there? post a pic of it.

Your setup sounds like it should sound pretty good..

the only problem with using glasspacks as resonators is that they "break in" after awhile and the exaust will get a little louder over time... but it won't be a huge difference.

Saturday, October 27, 2007 2:26 PM
sayno2vtec, did you find the stans header or were you talking about another? Ill be selling mine in about a month or so. If you wana wait Ill be selling my stans header, 2.5" downpipe with flexpipe and 30" glasspack welded on for realy cheap if youd be interested.

I fit a 30" with extra room to spare, but thats because I dont have a cat. And I did notice the glasspack got a bit louder after a while.

Saturday, October 27, 2007 8:33 PM
Weebel wrote:The largest resonator I could get under my car was a 23 inch.... how the heck do you fit a 31 inch in there? post a pic of it.

Your setup sounds like it should sound pretty good..

the only problem with using glasspacks as resonators is that they "break in" after awhile and the exaust will get a little louder over time... but it won't be a huge difference.

I dunno I haven't test fit it yet.....I better go outside and check this out.
Saturday, October 27, 2007 8:35 PM
icemike89 wrote:sayno2vtec, did you find the stans header or were you talking about another? Ill be selling mine in about a month or so. If you wana wait Ill be selling my stans header, 2.5" downpipe with flexpipe and 30" glasspack welded on for realy cheap if youd be interested.

I fit a 30" with extra room to spare, but thats because I dont have a cat. And I did notice the glasspack got a bit louder after a while.

Sweet deal I ordered the header a few days before I posted on here, but I will be willing to upgrade to your header if the price is in my range.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search