Performance Advice for 2200 2.2L - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Performance Advice for 2200 2.2L
Wednesday, September 26, 2007 5:53 PM
I have a 2002 LS Sport Sedan with a 2200 2.2L engine. I just bought this car in August and I want more power. I started off with the basics, I had a new header put on, high flow cat, and 2.25" cat back exhaust system (all done by a custom shop locally). I installed an AEM cai. This alone has given me noticeable improvement in power.

My problem is that I don't have the mechanical confidence to do much else by myself. Because of that I've been limited to bolt on horsepower which is why I just bought a JET Power Control Module (very little gain in power).

The other thing is that there aren't many performance parts for the 2200 2.2L... I notice there are alot more parts available for the ecotech motor.

Short of doing an engine swap, I'd like some advice from other 2200 owners. I'd like to know what else I can do to get more power.

Things I'd like to investigate improving:
Throttle Body
Spark plugs and new wires (not sure how much this will improve anything, but I'm very confident I can do this mod)
Upper and lower motor mount
Strut bar (very confident in doing this mod, but more of a handling mod rather than power)

Other than that, I don't know what else I can do to improve performance.

I've got several grand I can blow, and could just go somewhere and have it done, but I'd like the satisfaction of doing it myself.

So have at it guys, unload your advice.

Re: Performance Advice for 2200 2.2L
Wednesday, September 26, 2007 6:01 PM
56MM HO throttlebody will help, thats almost bolt-on.

porting/polishing the head will get you some more power.

1.6:1 roller rockers.

Or if youve got a few grand why not go turbo? itll only be a few grand if you piece it together, and itll be the most power you can get.

You could also do nitruos oxide.

A cam is an option, but if youre not very mechanically inclined it might be more $$ to get and get installed than its actually worth.

Theres a few things you can do, and make some respectable power.

The JET module youve got...I dont know what it does, or what its supposed to do, but i assume its trash, as theres no "chip" for our 3rd gens
Wednesday, September 26, 2007 6:26 PM
Quote:

Because of that I've been limited to bolt on horsepower which is why I just bought a JET Power Control Module (very little gain in power).

that does nothing. just a waste. there is always HPtuner software thats the closet thing to chips

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Wednesday, September 26, 2007 9:53 PM
99redz24 wrote:
Quote:

that does nothing. just a waste. there is always HPtuner software thats the closet thing to chips

I did a little bit of a blind study on the power control module tonight. My buddy and I recorded 0-60 times tonight... the module box is located on the passenger floor board so I can't see it when I'm driving. He'd randomly turn it on or off before each run. We did 10 runs, 5 with it off, 5 with it on. We took the data home, averaged the times, and I averaged about 0.34 seconds faster 0-60 time with it on than off. But I honestly couldn't tell when it was on or off. Not worth it in my opinion at $180 for 0.34 seconds.

Tell me more about the TB. Is this the 2.3L swap? And how hard is it to install? I'm sure google has documentation somewhere.

And tell me if new plugs and wires are going to make any difference.

I'm a computer tech major with a great eye for design, but I don't know much about engines.
Wednesday, September 26, 2007 10:06 PM
i dont feel like typing it all again...

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=396416&t=396416

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search