cat mounted oxygen sensor removal questions for the wise... - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
cat mounted oxygen sensor removal questions for the wise...
Sunday, September 23, 2007 8:23 PM
what are the side effects of not using your after cat heated oxygen sensor in a 96 z24 auto? i plan on using a 30 inch resonator in place of the cat and factory resonator, eliminating the use of the o2 sensor. i know its necessary and is used for something but i just plan on disconnecting it from the plug in the bay and removing the whole thing. pros and cons would be awesome! is this a BIG NO NO?

Re: cat mounted oxygen sensor removal questions for the wise...
Sunday, September 23, 2007 9:16 PM
in short, yes. the rear o2 is to make sure your cat is still working. remove the o2 sensor and the car goes into limp mode. remove the cat, and your car is no longer street legal. anywhere.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Sunday, September 23, 2007 9:22 PM
Street legality is a moot point for me where i live, so i can throw that out but what is limp mode? i cant be the only one here that has or wants to remove the components in a exhaust system. What are others doing?
Sunday, September 23, 2007 10:17 PM
as in its a FEDERAL offense to remove a catalytic converter on an emissions controlled vehicle.

Monday, September 24, 2007 6:48 AM
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:in short, yes. the rear o2 is to make sure your cat is still working. remove the o2 sensor and the car goes into limp mode. remove the cat, and your car is no longer street legal. anywhere.

It does not put the car in limp mode. You will get a check engine light, and it is illegal to do, but half of what we do on thie site is, so no reason to bring that up. There is ways around the check engine light.

FU Tuning

Monday, September 24, 2007 7:21 AM
what the hell does your 96 even have a 2nd O2 sensor for? my 97 z24 only has one and its not heated (single wire).

1997 RedR - ZedR
Monday, September 24, 2007 8:01 AM
all obd 2 jbodies have 2 sensors (i before cat and one after thre cat) so look harder...you can buy downstream o2 sensor simulators to get around the check engine light give that a try if you are removing your cat
Monday, September 24, 2007 9:16 AM
gm is my god wrote:all obd 2 jbodies have 2 sensors (i before cat and one after thre cat) so look harder...you can buy downstream o2 sensor simulators to get around the check engine light give that a try if you are removing your cat

you are incorrect. alot of cars built before 97 only had 1. mine is only a single O2 sensor right on the downpipe after the manifold. do you want me to take a picture?

1997 RedR - ZedR
Monday, September 24, 2007 10:40 AM
thanks for the help boys, so what your tying to say john is that as long as i can stand a check engine light on the dash (which i was expecting) i should be ok with removal? i was unclear if the sensor had anything to do with the way it would run, like leaning out or richening up-a problem i dont want to deal with if this is going to accur. thanks all. and i have seen some zs with only one oxygen sensor and some with 2, but that is for another day lol.
Monday, September 24, 2007 6:40 PM

you are incorrect. alot of cars built before 97 only had 1. mine is only a single O2 sensor right on the downpipe after the manifold. do you want me to take a picture?

actually you are both wrong, there are 2 sensors,1 of which is a tempature sensor(it plugs into the manifold/header/or down pipe)then behind the resonator on th catalytic converter,is a 02 sensor.....disassembly of either 1 will cause a check engine light to come on, but ive never heard of this limp mode crap be4......
Monday, September 24, 2007 6:50 PM
Actually they are BOTH 02 sensors and I have heard that removal of the cat will cause the car to run like crap but I still have the stocker so no worries here.

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"

Monday, September 24, 2007 7:17 PM
whitegoose( RedR-ZedR) wrote:
gm is my god wrote:all obd 2 jbodies have 2 sensors (i before cat and one after thre cat) so look harder...you can buy downstream o2 sensor simulators to get around the check engine light give that a try if you are removing your cat

actually, yes please.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Monday, September 24, 2007 7:36 PM
I have a 30" res and no cat, but I have an o2 sim. If I were you I would either try to find a sim, drill a hole and weld in an o2 bung somewhere, or delete it with hpt.

Monday, September 24, 2007 7:54 PM
Weston Nicola wrote:actually you are both wrong, there are 2 sensors,1 of which is a tempature sensor(it plugs into the manifold/header/or down pipe)

fail. thats the o2 sensor that meters and adjusts the fuel air mix.

Monday, September 24, 2007 11:22 PM
I actually have this actual dilemma right now. I was having issues with the motor choking and dying at every stop light and occasionally during highway travels. We debugged the issue down to the plugged cat. Thus, a couple of us took a hacksaw to the cat (front and back), took a tire iron and bashed the s*** out of the internals of the cat itself. (Note if you do this, you will want to wield the inner sleeve of the cat, otherwise you will have a massive rattle). Now the car is having rich/lean conflicts all over the place. I was cruising some site late at night and ran across this device (http://www.kingmotorsports.com/category.aspx?cat=62#Product_814) which is a CEL eliminator. Has anyone attempted to use one of these? I figured that an alternative was to direct wire the resistance load to the O2 sensor for a patch fix instead.
Monday, September 24, 2007 11:36 PM
I have heard of oxygen sensor simulators but i cant for the live of me find any for sale... there is a post somewhere on the org explaining why i cant find a new simulator for sale. thus leaving me with the option of not using a rear o2 sensor from the plug back, and in your post nate, after gutting the cat did u continue to use your heated oxygen sensor? This is what makes me think that i shouldn't have your problem due to the fact that i wont be using that particular sensor. Still curious...
Tuesday, September 25, 2007 5:25 AM
RKsport sells O2 simulators that you can use to simulate the rear O2 and they cost less than a new O2 sensor. You can get away with simulating your rear O2, but don't try it with the one in the manifold.

Your car should run just fine without the second O2 sensor... but depending on your exaust setup, you car might not run right without the cat. If I where you, I would just run a high flow cat and call it a day. The type of muffler and resonator you would have to use to quiet the exaust down enough to keep from getting pulled over would cancel out any gains you made from removing the cat anyway. (The cat quiets down the exaust quite a bit).

For reference... the exaust setup I had on my Sunbird was this..

Stock manifold, streight pipe, 12" cherry bomb glass pack... thats it,... no cat or anything.

The car was WAY to loud... and didn't make any usefull power at all until it was over 4500rpm. I used to have to rev it way up just to make it up some peoples driveways (it had a 5-speed).

Hardly no backpressure at all is actually a bad thing, and removing your cat won't make your car faster.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 6:28 AM
well.. you asked for it. here are my pics of my SINGLE O2 sensor.

picture of the O2 sensor mounted on the manifold.

another pic of the O2 sensor.

pic of the bong plug to fill in the spot in the cat for the second O2 sensor.

the reason why the car even has that bong in there (im sure the stock one did not) is it was replaced. the flex pipe rotted out on it, so the whole piece was replaced.

1997 RedR - ZedR
Tuesday, September 25, 2007 6:16 PM
whitegoose( RedR-ZedR) wrote:well.. you asked for it. here are my pics of my SINGLE O2 sensor.

the reason why the car even has that bong in there (im sure the stock one did not) is it was replaced. the flex pipe rotted out on it, so the whole piece was replaced.

you're from canada eh? but seriously that would explain yours being differnt from our southern friends.

_

Now with northstar V8, IRS, 20's n 22's
Tuesday, September 25, 2007 6:27 PM
maybe your friend did an o2 sim?

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Wednesday, September 26, 2007 5:50 AM
lol viper i cant count how many times ive been under that car and never seen it... if he did an O2 sim, its very well hidden from the cops.

1997 RedR - ZedR

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 6:00 AM
I think a few of our Canadian friends have cars with just one O2 sensor, I quess it's not that uncommon up there.

If my second O2 ever goes out (it's pretty close already), I'm just going to get a simulator for less than half the price of a new sensor if not for anything else than to keep the CEL from coming on.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 6:09 AM
No 97's to my knowledge have a rear 02 sensor. 97's are just plain weird.

My cav and the brother cav both ran like crap with no cats. Now I have a catco high flow cat.

Added
I have just be informed that some 97's have rear O2 sensors.
Well damn.

Added added on side note.
I wonder if the speed density 97's have one or two o2 sensors?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, September 26, 2007 6:47 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, September 26, 2007 9:34 AM
Weebel wrote:I think a few of our Canadian friends have cars with just one O2 sensor, I quess it's not that uncommon up there.

If my second O2 ever goes out (it's pretty close already), I'm just going to get a simulator for less than half the price of a new sensor if not for anything else than to keep the CEL from coming on.

Good luck getting a sim. The EPA just shut down Caspers, the people who made the sim, and forced them to repurchase everything they sold.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 10:29 AM
You could use the spark plug adapter trick. It has worked on my friends neon.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search