Help choose Resonator - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Help choose Resonator
Saturday, September 22, 2007 7:20 AM
I would like to know what resonators people are choosing. I want to go with a sleeper look, so I don't want a loud exhaust at all. And don't just say get this or get that. I want to know what people are actually using, and how much they like it, and about how loud they would say it is, and what whether or not they are turbo'd, supercharged, or not. Thanks in advance.

Re: Help choose Resonator
Saturday, September 22, 2007 1:25 PM
i had the same question actually. I just got my exhaust put on. 2.5" cat back, and it's extremely loud. Good tone, but it's LOUD. I did some searching and came across this site

Hott Exhaust

I just purchased this resonator from them, so once I put it on I'll let ya know how it sounds.

Saturday, September 22, 2007 3:52 PM
I've got a thermal research cat-back, its deep, but its pretty loud. I think its an 18" resonator on it. Once I turbocharge it, it'll quiet down a lot.

Saturday, September 22, 2007 6:58 PM
I have a custom exhaust, but when I first put it on, it was way too loud and a little too raspy for me. I got a 3" x 18" resonator from Auto Zone. I can't remember what the brand was, but I ordered it out of their catalog at the store. It wasn't too expensive, maybe $25-30 or so, and it was built well. It did the trick. Mellowed the tone right out.

If you want a real sleeper exhaust, you should look at the Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers, and get yourself a good 24" resonator. I had the Super Turbo on my old truck with a built 6 liter V8 in it, and it kept that pretty quiet, even when I got on it hard. Do not get a straight through design muffler, regardless of how well they say their packing and design cut down sound. The only thing that will drasticly reduce your actual volume is a baffled muffler. The turbo design is a fairly free-flowing baffled muffler, but to really mellow it out, definitely get a resonator for it.

Saturday, September 22, 2007 7:51 PM
I have a 22" Cherry Bomb glasspack for a resonator. Deep tone at idle.

Saturday, September 22, 2007 9:27 PM
I've got a 22" Magnaflow resonator on my Cavalier and it's a really mellow sound. It's very very deep in tone, no aggressive loudness and no rasping. Can't even tell the car has an exhaust till you starting driving around 3k rpm.

Saturday, September 22, 2007 10:36 PM
I have a full pacesetter exaust (header and all) with a magnaflow high flow cat.

I used a 23 inch cherry bomb glass pack as a resonator. It's doesn't hurt performance at all, and it mellows down the exaust just enought to where it sounds good, but is more quiet than most tuner cars driving around town.

I have a Sunfire SE with a 2.4, so I'm trying too keep the sleeper effect also (until I boost it wich will make it noisy enough to give it away)... and in my opinion... it works pretty good for that..

BTW i'm N/A at the moment since you where asking us to state that part.

Sunday, September 23, 2007 2:31 AM
I have magnaflow XL on my N/A 2.4 it has 2 1/2 inch pipe you can not tell at all that it even has exhaust when she idel's but at high RPM's it is a little raspy
Sunday, September 23, 2007 1:22 PM
Are you guys keeping the cat as well? I plan on running just the resonator and muffler. I know just about anything works, just figured I would ask to see what people are running and see how they like it. Thanks so far guys.
Sunday, September 23, 2007 3:16 PM
Removing the cat is pointless. You're just making your emissions more toxic. Just get a nice high flow cat if you're worried about it; but honestly, n/a you're not gonna see anything from your exhaust unless you start from the header and replace EVERYTHING.

" To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous. "
Sunday, September 23, 2007 4:31 PM
I know all about performance, and what not. Yes i know removing the cat will just make it more toxic, but the point of me removing it is to make my spending cheaper. No i'm not going cheap on things, but rather it doesn't matter if its there or not with what i'm doing, so i'm just saving myself the money. And again, i know all about performance, so i am doing a full exhaust. I have full exhaust on there now, but i'm going to go ahead and redo it. thanks though.

Monday, September 24, 2007 5:50 AM
The cat quiets down the exaust WAY more than you might think. I would run one if I where you. Removing the cat loudens the exaust more than removing a resonator in most cases.. plus having a cat will ensure you have enough backpressure to keep from huting the engine or making the cel come on.

Backpressure isn't a bad thing.. it's having the right amount that promotes performance.. you need a certain amount of backpressure in your exaust for the car to run right... not having enough is worse than having too much.

(I'm simplifying of course.. just incase another techno geek besides me feels the need to correct me.. I know it's more complicated than that, I'm just being simple)

Monday, September 24, 2007 10:13 AM
I only stated the point of no cat so i can find out who doesn't have one, and is just running the pipe, resonator, and muffler, and has a quite exhaust. I know all about having one, and not having one, and that is not the issue here. So please stray away from this subject.

Back on topic.

Who is running just the resonator, and muffler, and has a quite exhaust. I would like to know what combo, if your satisfied, and about how loud you would say it is, and if your running n/a, or f/i. Sounds clips would be great, but most people probably don't have sound clips. Also the size of the resonator, and muffler would be nice to have as well. Thanks guys for the posts so far, and even the technical stuff. Please don't take me the wrong way, i appreciate people trying to help, and their will be people who do not know the stuff you mentioned that will learn from it.
Monday, October 01, 2007 4:51 PM
I just got this baby in today

I'll let ya know how it sounds once it's in.

Monday, October 01, 2007 6:06 PM
I have 2.5" piping, high flow cat, dynomax race bullet muffler (used as resonator) and a dynomax supert turbo muffler w/tip. No buzz whatsoever!! I love it....

Wednesday, October 03, 2007 8:58 AM
i have a 2.25" vibrant 12" resonator... i dont really like it because when im WOT it sounds real raspy... not as much as it used to but it still does. i hope it goes away soon...

12.33 @ 111.67 mph [Oct 2009]
Dyno'd on 08/02/09 - Mustang Dyno:
327.6 WHP 333.6 WTQ [10.1 AFR]
Sunday, October 07, 2007 9:15 PM
Just got the resonator put on, and I would highly recommend the 18" from magnaflow. Really cleaned up the sound, and it's much quieter.

Sunday, October 07, 2007 10:47 PM
hmm, how much does it change the tone?

Sunday, October 07, 2007 10:58 PM
Corsica Dude wrote:Just got the resonator put on, and I would highly recommend the 18" from magnaflow. Really cleaned up the sound, and it's much quieter.

could you put up the part # and where ya got it from?

thanks

Monday, October 08, 2007 4:15 PM
Tone, the tone is almost exactly the same, just no raspyness. It's much quieter as I don't wake up the neighbors anymore, lol. I got some compliments from some Honda guys who hate the exhausts on the Cav's, said mine sounded nice.

I actually bought it from here for $54 shipped.

Monday, October 08, 2007 9:18 PM
thank you very much for the link

Tuesday, October 09, 2007 12:37 PM
alright i am running dc sports headers with a test tube . which means eliminated cat . when i installed had toput a resonator on the magnaflow dual cat back. on so i went with magnaflow 22 in resonator and worked miracles for driving but i still have rasp now around 3 000 rpms when i get on it. you guys think a high flow cat would fix the remaining problems

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2623318

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 6:46 AM
Im running a magnaflow cat, 29" cherry bomb muffler, as the ressy, and a flowmaster super 44 muffler... all in 2.5" sounds really great not raspy or anything like that. Best part the cat was $50, Ressy was $20 at pepboys, and $70 for the Super 44... I suggest that setup to anyone

Sunday, October 14, 2007 2:58 AM
anyone got vids??? plz

http://www.myspace.com/fpsunfire
5 seconds to find another street...
Monday, October 15, 2007 7:20 PM
I made a quick vid here... this is with the 2.5" cat back, ebay power 1 muffler, and the 18" resonator. It was extremely loud before I put the resonator on... it's MUCH quieter, and it's cleaner sounding. Let me know what u guys think.

First vid on a cold startup.... did a quick burnout, heh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBH1_xu5_dA

Here's the 2nd vid... doing a quick drive through a parking lot...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZuruw2ulsM

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search