2.4 Header install - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4 Header install
Friday, September 21, 2007 3:31 PM
Am i going to have to cut my exhaust to install my header? And on a 1-10 level how tough is it going to be to install it? any tips? thanks

Re: 2.4 Header install
Friday, September 21, 2007 10:22 PM
Part A depends on what header you have. If it's a Pacesetter, or one of the cheap knock-offs of the pacesetter (like obx, pseudo, other cheap ebay junk) then yes.

PArt B, since you have to ask then I'm going to put it at a 5 or above. I did mine in my driveway in about 2 hours with hand tools, that included cutting the exhaust. IF you wrench on a lot of stuff the biggest thing is clearance. If you've got a decent amount of tools then there is no big problem and its easy. If you don't do this sort of thing much it might take you some time and help.

Friday, September 21, 2007 11:11 PM
I agree with above. The hardest part for me was removing the stock manifold. Eventually I gave up and just cut the downpipe off instead of unbolting it from the manifold.

Friday, September 21, 2007 11:56 PM
Yeah I plan on just using hand tools! Im not sure what brand it is I got it off someone here on the board.
Saturday, September 22, 2007 7:16 AM
If your going to put a header on, then in my opinion, just do the whole exhaust. if thats the case, save yourself the trouble of trying to get the downpipe off, and just cut it. Then just make sure you know how many bolts are holding the manifold to the head, so that way you know you have them all off and your not trying to take the manifold off while its still connected. Other then that, it should be easy. Just install the head like you took the manifold off, and then drive it to the place where you plan on having the rest of the exhaust done at. Also make sure you use the stock gasket. In my opinion, I think that is the easiest way.
Saturday, September 22, 2007 3:05 PM
Holy $hit the oil dipstick and break line is the only thing standing in the way!!! Its kicking my a$$
Saturday, September 22, 2007 3:43 PM
How are you putting it in? Are you putting the header on and then trying to put the downpipe on, or are you putting them both in together? I hate trying to mess with the downpipe, so I always do it off the car, and then i just put both pieces in at once. I never had to big of a problem. takes a little messing around, but nothing to bad.
Saturday, September 22, 2007 6:20 PM
I NEED HELP!!!! I got the header on fired it up and it started to smoke out of the front of the block? I think it might have something to do with the "extra" little pipe on the driver side that the factory one did not have i need help!!
Saturday, September 22, 2007 6:23 PM
The hole that it is coming out of is like a extra hole on the block next to the intake manafold? I have no idea what to do?!
Saturday, September 22, 2007 7:04 PM
Here is a link to my pictures of the header http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2886743/1 its the last two pictures. The last one is the hole that smoke was coming out of. Is this the right header for a 2001 2.4?
Saturday, September 22, 2007 7:24 PM
Well according to your profile, you have a 2001, which means that extra pipe shouldn't be there.

Saturday, September 22, 2007 7:35 PM
so what is the pipe for?
Saturday, September 22, 2007 7:59 PM
I don't know crap about pre '00, or egr, but i think it has something to do with that. don't quote me on that because i don't know anything about it, but i'm pretty sure it has to do with that. I'm sure someone else can chime in and correct me if i'm wrong, or elaborate more if i'm correct.
Sunday, September 23, 2007 2:25 AM
Please someone help! I guess I need to buy a new header?!!!
Sunday, September 23, 2007 6:37 AM
that header is meant for a "Pre 1999" 2.4L that uses the EGR (I think it was changed part way through 1999). You have two options. You can either get a gasket for the 2000+ motor which should block that passage on the backside, or you'll need an EGR blocking plate to put on the front of the block.
Sunday, September 23, 2007 6:39 AM
stolen from another post, here's the GM part #'s for the egr block off plate, gasket and bolts

1999 2.4L EGR Block-off Plate ( GM Part # is 24575505 )
1999 2.4L EGR Block-off Plate Gasket ( GM Part # is 24573947 )
1999 2.4L EGR Block-off Plate Bolts ( GM Part # is 11517518 )
Sunday, September 23, 2007 6:43 AM
Yeah,
If our car is later half year 99 or newer, that hole should be blocked off by default.

The header is fine,
With the 99-02 exhaust gaskets, on the exhaust side, the hole passage its blocked off anyway.

So,
From the pics, it looks like there was work done to the engine pre 99 maybe.
And at some point they forgot to block that hole off.

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Sunday, September 23, 2007 2:07 PM
So do you think there was any damage done? It was smoking pretty good and had a tick
Sunday, September 23, 2007 2:16 PM
You just have an extra pipe running, which is letting exhaust gas out is my guess. You shouldn't have caused any damage from that. Think of it as having a whole in your exhaust. As for a tick, that must have been from something else.
Sunday, September 23, 2007 4:27 PM
is that an obx header? i put one on my 98 z24 it didn't have that exra little pipe though. I bet it's why I'm throwing code for egr problem

but that decreases HP anyway but it's a more consistant intake temps , detonation temps or something along those lines.

Monday, September 24, 2007 2:31 AM
I think im just going to buy a new header just because i want one that is coated. Im not sure what brand it is there is no marks on it? i got it off some guy here on the board.

Monday, September 24, 2007 6:43 AM
I just checked my ride.
I have the same hole, but obviously no smoke.

So if you reuse or get another 99-02 factory exhaust gasket you should cure the smoke issue.

As for the ticking, not sure about that.
Maybe it will work itself out once the header issue is taken care of.

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Monday, September 24, 2007 7:18 AM
2000 and newer LD9s have the EGR port open... GM did away with the EGR but left the big gaping hole in the head...

block it off at the header (best option) or block it off where the former EGR was (not as good cause now you have something running through that port on the head that is no longer used and is being trapped in the motor)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search