Aftermarket/Stock intake" - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Aftermarket/Stock intake"
Thursday, September 20, 2007 6:50 PM
Has anyone ever just hooked up an aftermarket air filter to the stock intake tube on a 2200? I did this tonight and it seems like everything went well and I noticed a bit of a gain on the low end and it also sounds just like any other aftermarket intake would. I did it mostly because I really dont plan to keep the 2200 in the car forever so why bother sinking a ton of money into an engine I'm just gonna get rid of someday anyway.

Also I'm wondering how I go about removing the big plastic "box" that goes town towards the fender so that my filter isnt just shoved into it to clear the hood.

P.S. I'm sure it sounds like a dumb thing to do or just taking the cheap way out but I honestly beleive it's just as good as a short ram. My reasoning behind that is in looking at the inside of the stock intake tube it's just a tube like any other intake would be, so the way I look at it, a tube is a tube.

Please take this seriously as I'm looking for both an answer and maybe some information from others past experiences or anything of the sort.

www.driftnamiperformance.com

Re: Aftermarket/Stock intake"
Thursday, September 20, 2007 7:09 PM
Heh, I bought an RK Sport SRI and I don't notice anything. I wish I did. Not sure how the 2200 stock intake looks, but if it feels good to you, why not keep it. Enjoy

Thursday, September 20, 2007 7:16 PM
I'll post a pic some time after I figure out how to get rid of that stupid air box..

Thursday, September 20, 2007 7:25 PM
Are you talking about the airbox that the stock filter sits in?

I just ripped that mutha outta there. It might be easier to remove the battery, but i just got a good grip on it, lift the side thats closest to the headlight, and swing the up, and jiggle it out of the hole on the strut tower... I think thats how i did it.

Make sure to find somewhere to mount the clutch resivior if you have a 5spd (i didnt check youre reg).

If yorue going to get rid of the 2200, the stock tubing plus a filter should be fine, most aftermarket intakes are just a little bigger and have less bends than the stocker does, but it should be more free-flowing the way you have it.... Its not uncommon.
Friday, September 21, 2007 2:18 AM
look at it this way, how big is your tb?

how big is your intake tube?

after looking at the tb opening do you rally think a 3" chrome tube is nessecary?

if you are talking about the box that actually says "2200" on it just leave the thing. a tube will do nothing for you. if you actually look inside the cross sectional area of that 2200 box is huge and its not a sudden 90* turn like a untake tube would be.

------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------
when you beat someone in a civic people wine and make excuses
when you beat someone in a cavalier they pull over and check under thier hoods
Friday, September 21, 2007 4:07 AM
I mean the box where the old filter was.. but yeah it's good to know it'll be just fine that way.. i'll post a pic tonight

Friday, September 21, 2007 6:49 AM
The only "arugements" for the aftermarket intake versus adding a filter to stock tubing is:

1) the stock tubing may be slightly more restricting in the sense of air flow
- but enough to make a huge difference? doubtful, i mean its a 2200...how much do you really expect to get out of it!!

2) looks. some "feel" that putting a filter on a stock tubing looks "hacked" compared to aftermarket tubing w/filter.

possibly 3) heat of the incoming air. some say there are differences in the temp. of the air comig into the engine with after market tubing versus stock tubing

but those are just opinions and even if someone was bored enough to get dyno results to offically prove these, i dont see how the differences would be all that great.

its your car! do what you want and enjoy

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search