ECOTEC swap on monday but 2.2 or 2.4? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ECOTEC swap on monday but 2.2 or 2.4?
Thursday, September 20, 2007 12:08 PM
Which is more beneficial and which is more upgradable: 2.2 Eco or 2.4 Eco? In this point in time, I won't be doing any bottom end stuff, probably not for 1 1/2 years.
Will they both fit in a 2000 Cavalier LS sedan that currently has the 2200 automatic?
Insurance is paying out for a 4 car accident that wasn't my fault.
How hard is switching to manual tranny? My uncle who is helping me is awesome with mechanical stuff, but what's the difficulty level? Any help appreciated! Thank you!

Re: ECOTEC swap on monday but 2.2 or 2.4?
Thursday, September 20, 2007 12:17 PM
the 2.4 will not work without extensive rewiring and programming.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Thursday, September 20, 2007 12:33 PM
Also, is the 03 - 05 better than the 02 engine or is there any real difference?
Thursday, September 20, 2007 12:42 PM
the only difference is the fuel rail, injectors and programming inside the PCM.

in '03, GM did away with open loop mode. most people like to have it, which is why they try to find the '02 PCM. the '02 PCM will run the '03 through '05 motors.

Desert Tuners

Thursday, September 20, 2007 12:50 PM
FReQ Z :
PM sent.
Thursday, September 20, 2007 1:26 PM
FReQ Z (CDM Z24 coming soon!) wrote:the only difference is the fuel rail, injectors and programming inside the PCM.

in '03, GM did away with open loop mode. most people like to have it, which is why they try to find the '02 PCM. the '02 PCM will run the '03 through '05 motors.

There are a number of people who have said that the 02 motor had thicker rings or ring lands...I forget which. And if he doesn't intend to build the bottom end...

The Golden Egg wrote:Which is more beneficial and which is more upgradable: 2.2 Eco or 2.4 Eco? In this point in time, I won't be doing any bottom end stuff, probably not for 1 1/2 years.
Will they both fit in a 2000 Cavalier LS sedan that currently has the 2200 automatic?
How hard is switching to manual tranny? My uncle who is helping me is awesome with mechanical stuff, but what's the difficulty level? Any help appreciated! Thank you!

then the 02 motor would be the better choice.

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.
Thursday, September 20, 2007 1:36 PM
I also plan doing the same thing. Swapping my 2200 in 00 cav for the 2.2 eco. And switching to a manual tranny, but to save time and the hassel I'm gonna hold off on the swap until I have what I need, to also build the bottom end
Thursday, September 20, 2007 2:14 PM
Brian Whalen wrote:
FReQ Z (CDM Z24 coming soon!) wrote:the only difference is the fuel rail, injectors and programming inside the PCM.

There are a number of people who have said that the 02 motor had thicker rings or ring lands...I forget which. And if he doesn't intend to build the bottom end...

The Golden Egg wrote:Which is more beneficial and which is more upgradable: 2.2 Eco or 2.4 Eco? In this point in time, I won't be doing any bottom end stuff, probably not for 1 1/2 years.

then the 02 motor would be the better choice.

I agree, but he didn't mention anything about boost, only just not building the bottom end. and that's only needed in large boost apps.

Desert Tuners

Friday, September 21, 2007 4:44 AM
What if I were planning to boost (which is my intention) with the same engine? What do you suggest? Which year BCM or PCM, and which year engine should I buy?
Friday, September 21, 2007 7:13 AM
Both engines are the same (with the exception of what I just said). So if you plan on boosting it before you do an engine rebuild, then the 02 motor is your best bet. If you plan on boosting after you rebuild the bottom end, then buy the one with less miles on it. It also doesn't matter what year PCM you use, if you plan on using HPTuners or a standalone fuel/ignition setup to control it.

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.
Saturday, September 22, 2007 6:00 PM
Are there different blocks for manual and auto tranny? Also, what's the difficulty level of going from auto to manual?

Saturday, September 22, 2007 7:03 PM
The Golden Egg wrote:Are there different blocks for manual and auto tranny? Also, what's the difficulty level of going from auto to manual?

No difference in engine, but keep in mind it will not bolt up to the 2200 tranny. The OHV engines have different bellhousings than the DOHC engines.

It's not a huge difficulty level to do a tranny swap from auto to manual, but there is some welding involved to change the mounts on the frame rail. Everything else is pretty much bolt in. Just get everything you can from the donor car, including the trim cover on the center console. You'll obviously need to cut a hole in the firewall where the clutch master cylinder mounts, too.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search