Need a cam - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need a cam
Monday, September 10, 2007 10:09 AM
I need a cam for a 96 cavalier 2.2, but i am having a hard time looking for one, Because i am in the process of rebuilding my 2.2. If there is anybody who can help me with this that would be great.

Re: Need a cam
Monday, September 10, 2007 10:19 AM
go to importperfromanceparts.net or jbodyperformance.com for cams idk if there any good for you but just ones i have found or get a custom regrind at crane or comp cams
Monday, September 10, 2007 10:57 AM
northern. i got my ENTIRE rebuild from them, and the cam is an actual solid 1-piece cam, brand new, unlike the factory lobes pressed on a tube cam.

from wat i've heard, ipp's cams arent all that great, and jbp's cam is stupidly expensive. you could get teh kit i listed above, send that cam to any cam grinder to get any grind you wanted, and most likely still be paying less than if you got JUST the cam from jbp.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Monday, September 10, 2007 4:49 PM
The IPP cams are okay profiles, They are designed to work with the stock springs, so lift is limited. They are on solid cores, but they are cast cores, not hardened steel. Anything more than the stock springs could cause galling of the cam lobes.

JBP's cam are over priced regrinds and require aftermarket springs, which when they came out, only JBP had springs for them. JBP has had questionable quality on their parts.

The stock cores are actually very durable, you just can't regrind too deep into them or move the lobe centers but +/- 1*. This shouldn't be too big of a deal, since most grinds that would work with a computer controlled motor are within the limits of what can be ground. Keep the total valve lift down below .480" (lobe lift X rocker arm ratio = total lift), unless you plan on changing your valve springs and modifying your lifters. Remember that the LN2 uses the same lobe design as the '87+ Small Block Chevy motor with the hydraulic roller cams, if it can be ground on a SBC/HR cam, then it can be ground on the LN2 cam.

A N/A cam on a '96 should have about 204*-208* @ .050" intake duration and about 6*-10* more exhaust duration. Advance the intake lobe one degree and retard the exhaust lobe one degree. The more stock the motor (and auto tranny) is, the lower duration intake and lesser difference of the exhaust lobe I would use. A modified motor and manual tranny (and/or modified auto w/ higher stall TC) the longer duration and bigger difference with the exhaust duration.

For a Nitrous motor use the same range of intake duration, but 10*-12* more exhaust duration and keep the stock lobe centers, to take full advantage of that nitrous.

There are too many variable involved to give general guideline for a turbo motor, just talk to you favorite cam company to get an idea of what to use.

With a '97+ PCM, wiring harness, different valve springs and lifter modifications, you can run whatever profile and duration cam you want.

All the recommendations above are just generalizations, talk to Crane Cams, Comp Cams, Isky Racing Cams and/or your favorite cam company about what they have available. While these recommendations will work on a stock motor, you should at least do an intake and a full header back exhaust, for best results. A P&Ped head with over-sized valves and increased compression will do wonders also.

Thursday, September 13, 2007 8:28 AM
I just thought of something else, what about a ecu? Or should i just get it reflashed.
Thursday, September 13, 2007 2:20 PM
no one supports the 96 ecu.if you're doing anything like boost, you'll need to either swap to a 95 or 97.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search