motor swap ? and i did a search. - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
motor swap ? and i did a search.
Wednesday, September 05, 2007 7:36 PM
ok my friend has a 95 cavy 2.2 with 175+ miles on it. and it has a standard tranny. i have a wrecked 98 2200 motor with an automatic tranny . my question is wether or not the motors will swap out? i know the motors are alittle different, and the trannys are different, but are the bell housings on the motors the same? if so i should just be able to just swap out the motors. please let me know. THANKS.

" LATER "

Re: motor swap ? and i did a search.
Wednesday, September 05, 2007 8:20 PM
you can use the 98 motor , and the 95 trans , belhousing patterns are the same

im not sure what sensors or stuff is different , asi havent dealt alot with the ohvs , but alot of people have swaped in newer motors in their older cavs

Thursday, September 06, 2007 4:27 AM
thanks, i should start that this weekend.

" LATER "
Saturday, September 08, 2007 8:12 PM
Stop! Hold off on it! There's a few big differences between the '95 & '98 engine. Let's start with the head ports... '98 was the first year of a rectangle port on the intake side, where as prior years had a circular port with a injector clearance "eyebrow". And the exhaust port also shrunk 3/8" in '98. The cam profile in '98 was changed to increase mid-range. Not to mention how the cam has had a "tonering" since '96 for sequential injection. And speaking of tone-rings, the syncs on the crank tone-ring were advanced several degrees from how they were in '95 begining in '96. That alone won't sit-right with your ECM. You're better off just using the '98 for a proper '95 long-block core charge swap. I know this seems a little odd & it seems like I'm making maybe too big of deal about this, but trust me. I've read & downloaded alot about the LN2 so I'm trying to save you alot of headaches. There's a gumball's worth of wisdom here, so you best chew on it. Just don't spit it out.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Sunday, September 09, 2007 6:47 AM
^^ why not use the newer ECM and get it flashed for a 5 speed trans, or get a ECM that already matches? if your swapping the whole motor then the ECM should go with it then all the little changes that happened with the 2200 revision would be a moot point right?

Sunday, September 09, 2007 9:57 AM
the sensors and everythign are different. a local blew up his 98 enigne and i sold him my 95 engine, and the 96 and ups are different, not to mention the 98 and ups. i owuld use the 98 harness, and ecm and mtor, and jsut swap it all over. is not really that hard to do and it easly while the motors are out;.

Proud member of JBOK
Sunday, September 09, 2007 10:57 AM
thanks fo the advise. i haven't really started this one yet, so i will do some more research.

" LATER "
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search