CEL after header and full exhaust - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
CEL after header and full exhaust
Saturday, September 08, 2007 12:41 PM
Well, been a long time since I been on here. Gearin up to do my duty. Have a quick question so I can fix this when I get back: Installed a 4-1 header, wider pipe all the way back with a magnaflow cat, 20" resonator, and magnaflow muffler. It sounds good, quiet when cruisin and then loud when you get on it, so I like it. And no ricer sound to it. One problem: Had to lengthen the O2 sensor wires, the connections are soldered and weather-proofed, but now I have 3 codes goin- O2 sensor circuit fault bank one is both stored and active. And catalyst efficiency code is being thrown. Any help is appreciated.

Re: CEL after header and full exhaust
Saturday, September 08, 2007 7:04 PM
P0420 - low catalyst efficiency - as long as you have an aftermarket cat, you'll get that code. O2 simulator won't help much, you'll still get it. HPT turns it off for good

The other code? I'm guessing a bad ground for the sensor.

14.330 @ 96.37mph
Saturday, September 08, 2007 7:24 PM
BlownBlackZ wrote:P0420 - low catalyst efficiency - as long as you have an aftermarket cat, you'll get that code. O2 simulator won't help much, you'll still get it. HPT turns it off for good

The mechanical O2 simulator should get rid of it. Search for it around here, basically it's 2 18mm spark plug anti-foulers, one of them drilled out to make room for the O2 sensor in it, and then screwed back into the O2 bung. Backing the O2 sensor slightly out of the exhaust stream changes the reading to something more like what the ECU is expecting to see, and the code shouldn't be tripped any more. Has worked for other people here too, and is used commonly on Hondas, Subarus, Mitsubishis...well, pretty much all cars by now.
Sunday, September 09, 2007 7:33 AM
Any suggestions on where to pick this up at? Thanx again, this computer stuff is new to me on cars I miss workin with carbureted big blocks. Much easier IMO.

Sunday, September 09, 2007 7:46 AM
Most auto parts stores have the anti foulers.

---------------------------------------------------
4 Cams...32 Valves...5 Liters...This Could Get Fun!

Sunday, September 09, 2007 9:31 AM
Alrighty so if they are 18mm then thread pitch and all that will match up correctly? Then just put two together and drill out the bottom for the sensor and then screw it into the bung? Ppreciate the help hopefully this'll work. It may be time very soon for HPT to take advantage of mods........................

Sunday, September 09, 2007 12:24 PM
i have an aftermarket cat and dont have a cel. never had cel cause of exhaust. sure the cat is installed right? some are directional

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, September 09, 2007 2:17 PM
I thought that at first, but when you take it out of the box it's a magnaflow and there aren't any markings to indicate direction of flow. Directional cats have markings if I recall correctly. I might just run a new sensor when I get back with the mechanical fix explained above and see how that goes. I appreciate all the help, keep any ideas comin

Monday, September 10, 2007 7:42 AM
I have the same cat and no CEL. can i ask why you had to extend the o2 wires? did they move your cat towards the back?
Saturday, September 15, 2007 11:44 PM
No, when I had the header installed, the O2 sensor bung was in a different location then stock. Longer wires were required to route it correctly. I soldered and weather-proofed, but it may take a different sensor or tuning to make it read correctly. I have a few months to figure it out......................

Sunday, September 16, 2007 2:47 AM
yea the first O2 sensor wire has to be extented to reach the bung in the header. i have the same cat and i dont have a problem. Whats the part # for the cat you got? maybe you got the wrong cat?

Sunday, September 16, 2007 11:59 AM
i have a hi flow metal core racing cat from pacesetter on a 3" exhaust and i dont get a cel

many changes in the making
my favorite part about doing bodywork,.......... bondo bugers
Sunday, September 16, 2007 6:47 PM
I had some of the same problems after exhaust work.

Put on a heated o2 sensor ( the first one in the header) casper electronics sells a nice kit.

Monday, September 17, 2007 4:53 AM
i have the RK sport 4-1 header and I didnt have to extend the wires. Tuning has nothing to do with the CEL. Sounds like the o2 got f'd up when changing the exhaust. replace the 02.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search