question to those with custom "cai" - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
question to those with custom "cai"
Friday, September 07, 2007 1:04 AM
After going through threads and tons of pics of different custom cai's, I have a question that Ive never heard anyone mention. What do you do about your iat? Ive seen many with a sc or manifold that relocates the tb that maybe just ran the intake towards the ground or straight to the fender, but never noticed anything about the iat. Im sure some of you extend it, but does anyone else just leave it in the engine compartment and not have any problems? Im sure it would cause a cel but will it harm anything?

And does anyone know the thread size for the sensor in the ho manifold? Id like to replace it with a bolt to make it look a little cleaner.

Also, if anyone has a stock 2.4 intake manifold gasket they dont need Ill take it. I just need to trace it onto a roll of gasket material to make a gasket cause I dont feel like using messy ass rtv.

Re: question to those with custom "cai"
Friday, September 07, 2007 3:40 AM
Well,
I think the wires for the iat are long enough to stretgh out of the loom.
But I did buy an extension from caspers , since I didnt wanna do the whole wire splice thing.

Forget a screw, just go to Crazy Rays and yoink a HO/LO manifold iat and use it for a plug.
I thought I had some laying around, I have to check.

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Friday, September 07, 2007 5:45 AM
You can splice it and extend it using regular wire and it does not throw a cel by running it down to the bumper or leaving out of the cai or manifold.If it sees reads cooler temps all it will do is make the car run richer.

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Friday, September 07, 2007 9:52 AM
ok... if you take the actual IAT sensor out of the stock air system and plug it INTO the plug in the harness you wont get a CEL... but if you leave it un-plugged watch out for ww3 on an AUTO anyways...

i left mine un-plugged once and the car didnt run right and the tranny didnt shift right, not to mention the CEL and the 'trac-off' lights came on.

i honestly dont see the complication in extenting the wiring a little bit to accomodate a different intake setup, its got 2 wires. find some wiring the same gauge, splice, soldier, heat-shrink tape it. head to autozone or adavance auto parts to get some black hose covering the same size as stock but longer. done and done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, September 07, 2007 9:53 AM

Friday, September 07, 2007 9:55 AM
most cais you can put the ait in reach of the stock wires.... you drill the hole, you get to put it where you want.

i sheet metal (christmas tree?) drill bit works wonders for drilling the hole... they're expensive but oh so worth it.

The Bottle Bomb is getting parted out:
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/detail/47668/
Friday, September 07, 2007 12:08 PM
I just spliced in to my wiring to extend it and it works fine

Friday, September 07, 2007 12:11 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. I plan to run just a coupler off the tb with about a 7" long 3" pipe down toward the ground, but not sure if that will be my permanent setup. I was also kinda curious as to what people did cause I had never realy seen people extending it or mentioning what they did with it. But if were to be plugged, but just sitting in the engine compartment it wont hurt anything? I would plan to extend it but it wouldnt be right away so I wanted to make sure I wouldnt have any problems.

Mastin, I have the iat from the ho manifold but ours wont plug into that stock will it? I remember reading about adavantages/disadvantages of doing this but dont remember what people were saying. Too tired to do a search right now lol.

Friday, September 07, 2007 1:13 PM
Right,it won't plug right in,I have the HO mani and some say that you'll see warmer temps in the mani versus a cai/wai.

Friday, September 07, 2007 2:45 PM
Right,
I was think mentioning it because you were asking about a screw to plug up the hole.

But i mean like folks were saying, if you leave the IAT out, the car will run, but not read correctly.

Also,
You can get a 1990 Corvette LS1 IAT sensor that will screw in and plug right up to the factory 2.4L plug.
THats what I'm gonna run, but if the temps read too warm, I may go back to just reading it off the intake.

Not sure what Im gonna do about this RK header you gave me.

-M

Friday, September 07, 2007 6:12 PM
z yaaaa wrote:ok... if you take the actual IAT sensor out of the stock air system and plug it INTO the plug in the harness you wont get a CEL... but if you leave it un-plugged watch out for ww3 on an AUTO anyways...

i left mine un-plugged once and the car didnt run right and the tranny didnt shift right, not to mention the CEL and the 'trac-off' lights came on.

i honestly dont see the complication in extenting the wiring a little bit to accomodate a different intake setup, its got 2 wires. find some wiring the same gauge, splice, soldier, heat-shrink tape it. head to autozone or adavance auto parts to get some black hose covering the same size as stock but longer. done and done.

I knew that but I think he meant the whole plug with the sensor,as said if you take the WHOLE sensor out it will not throw a CEL just run more rich if it reads cooler temps.If you left it in the engine bay it may not run as rich.

Friday, September 07, 2007 8:31 PM
The LD9 intake manifold doesn't use a gasket, it has rubber rings for each runner to make the seal.

14.330 @ 96.37mph

Friday, September 07, 2007 8:33 PM
I dont plan on using the ld9 gasket, I just need to trace it onto a roll of gasket material.

Re: question to those with custom
Friday, September 07, 2007 10:39 PM
I'm confused why people get so worried about the sensor reading higher temps in the HO manifold. The air is closer to the ports and is a more accurate reading of the actual temperature of the air getting sucked into the cylinder...and our cars ALREADY run pig rich under PE

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.
Re: question to those with custom
Friday, September 07, 2007 11:10 PM
Well for one if he wants to do the IAT mod listed in the Library all it is going to do is make the car run richer than it already does and why would he want to do that unless he is introducing more air.To answer you Brian some have claimed that the HO Mani gets hotter than,let's say my wai,to which I disagree.I have ran the car for a trip then felt the diff. between a thin piece of alum. and a cast manifold.Despite the fact that the mani is to the head the wai was hotter.

Saturday, September 08, 2007 2:47 AM
Mastin wrote:Right,
I was think mentioning it because you were asking about a screw to plug up the hole.

But i mean like folks were saying, if you leave the IAT out, the car will run, but not read correctly.

Also,
You can get a 1990 Corvette LS1 IAT sensor that will screw in and plug right up to the factory 2.4L plug.
THats what I'm gonna run, but if the temps read too warm, I may go back to just reading it off the intake.

Not sure what Im gonna do about this RK header you gave me.

-M

I may look into the lt1 iat, but when I do the ho swap(again) Im just gona cut up my intake and make a temporary wai until I figure out what I want to do. I just want a simple 3" cai, which like I said Ill do using a 90* coupler and straight 3" pipe once I figure out what I wana do about the iat.

The header, do what you wish with it lol. Clean it up and sell it for more,use it, mount it on your wall for decoration or whatever haha. Its a realy cool looking header, one of the first things you notice when you pop your hood, but a complete pita to install lol. I personaly would use your dc you just got,install would be much easier and its a better flowing 4-2-1 but you prolly wouldnt see the lower end power you would with the rk. If you use the dc you better throw in your cat or get a res, it would be loud haha.

And this may kinda sound like a simple question, but Ive seen alot of times that people just kinda moved their battery a bit to have straight access to the hole in the fender. How do they mount the battery? Some kinda tray they bolted in or what?

Saturday, September 08, 2007 8:19 AM
BlownBlackZ wrote:The LD9 intake manifold doesn't use a gasket, it has rubber rings for each runner to make the seal.

yes and no... heres the 2.4 intake 'gasket' but yes it does have the o-rings as well...

Saturday, September 08, 2007 8:36 AM
^^ Hey, that pic looks familiar.

-M

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search