help needed from someone smarter than me - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
help needed from someone smarter than me
Tuesday, September 04, 2007 9:36 AM
I am rebuilding a 99 2.4 engine and it looks like you can "safely" take damn near a quarter inch off of the heads surface. Has anyone done this before? Would you have to go with a 2.3 timing chain?

Re: help needed from someone smarter than me
Tuesday, September 04, 2007 10:09 AM
Why do you want to? If you want to bump the compression I would just use different pistons to do so.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Tuesday, September 04, 2007 10:54 AM
Wade Jarvis wrote:Why do you want to? If you want to bump the compression I would just use different pistons to do so.

YOu could also get a thinner head gasket as well. I would only shave the head as much as truly needed to clean it up and make it true. Shaving the head to much can cause problems with getting the timing set correctly.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, September 04, 2007 11:00 AM
MAX for a LD9 head to be cut is .020

what are you going to do about timing chain slack? remove a link?

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Tuesday, September 04, 2007 12:30 PM
Taetsch Z-24 wrote:MAX for a LD9 head to be cut is .020

what are you going to do about timing chain slack? remove a link?

Chris

x2

Tuesday, September 04, 2007 2:26 PM
the car is for the track only I was hopeing to put a 2.3 chain on it at this point i havent milled it yet still trying to find some info on it. But when I compare the 2.3 and the 2.4 head there lookes like a huge difference in deck height to me I am trying to get the most out of it I don't want to go that crazt just incase i warp it or something but it sure looks like there is alot extra aluminium there to me. has anybody attempted this before.

and as for removing a link? no thanx
Tuesday, September 04, 2007 2:28 PM
also i asked earlier and got no good answers I have a fuel cell I would like to put in there for safety and for weight what is a good external fuel pump that will fill the 2.4 needs at WOT?

thanx
Tuesday, September 04, 2007 2:36 PM
Any 4 cylinder front wheel drive car with a maximum wheelbase of 103" or less and a complete stock body, interior, frame and suspension. No bracing anywhere except inside the driver’s compartment (if roll bar equipped). Dash, interior, steering and pedals MUST remain completely stock for that make of car. NO 4 wheel steer cars.

ROLL BARS/CAGES: OPTIONAL BUT HIGHLY RECOMMENDED: No portion of any bar or cage may pass through firewall to hook or stiffen the frame beyond the area of the driver’s compartment. If cage is mounted to the floor pan, a 12" x 12" steel plate should be used at hoop mounting points. DRIVER SIDE DOOR BARS OR STEEL PLATE ARE MANDATORY. Driver’s door must be welded or chained shut. It is your responsibility to construct a cage assembly capable of protecting you from injury.

TIRES/WHEELS: Maximum rim diameter is 15". Stock wheel-no after market allowed. All wheels must be of same size. Approved passenger car tires only (Maximum size 70's). NO low profile tires which must all be the same size. Over-sized lug nuts recommended. Fenders may be trimmed or cut out. No homemade, custom made or modified wheels. No modifications to wheel flanges or wheel stud patterns. Only 13" or 14" wheels can run tire sizes 165 thru 195 60/65/70.

FUEL TANK: Cars without the fuel pump mounted in the tank must use a cell or marine type tank mounted in the trunk. Stock tanks allowed if mounted in front of the rear axle.

Cells are recommended. Tank must be securely fastened to the floor. Tanks must not be mounted within 10" of the rear panel or extend beyond the frame rails. Maximum size is 5 gallons. Cells required on wagons. Cars equipped with electric fuel pumps must install a toggle switch clearly marked at the base of the drivers “A” pillar.

BODY: Complete removal of all interior flammable materials. All glass except windshield removed. Lexan windshield approved. Air-conditioner compressors, smog pumps, excess wiring and heaters may be removed but holes in dash must be covered. After-market gauges may be installed. A single plane rear spoiler with a maximum height of 5" is allowed. After-market driver’s seat allowed.

ENGINE: Complete stock motor-no modifications. Must run stock air cleaner for that car. Untouched stock manifolds for that motor.

EXHAUST: No open manifolds. Exhaust must exit behind driver under car.

COOLING: Any stock radiator allowed which will fit in the stock brackets. Water coolant ONLY. 180 degree fan shroud mandatory. Over-flow container under the hood.

here is what I am working with here I am not going to say much just in case some one else is on here to
Wednesday, September 05, 2007 10:49 AM

shave a 1/4" off......

2.3 chains and 2.4 chains (other then the SOHC 2.3) are pretty much the same length.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 10:59 AM
thats odd because i have 2.3 and 2.4 chains yet the 2.3 shorter?
Wednesday, September 05, 2007 11:37 AM
Quote:

THATS odd..cus i have a 2.4 chain on my 2.3 engine with no problems...now take into account that the 2.3 components are bigger and heavier..still want to use it?

Thursday, September 06, 2007 6:22 AM
the racejunkie wrote:also i asked earlier and got no good answers I have a fuel cell I would like to put in there for safety and for weight what is a good external fuel pump that will fill the 2.4 needs at WOT?

thanx

any answers for this one^^^^

since shaving the head that much seems to be out. What would be a good stock appearing head to put on there???
Thursday, September 06, 2007 7:13 AM
1/4" is a no go. There isnt enough material to do so without gasket issues and cracking.

Fuel pump- just about any capable of 65psi is good enough on a NA 2.4. Walbro does have universal inline pumps that will work fine.

realistically, a 2.3 head could be put on and lose you 13cc of chamber volume in the process and be undetectable to the general public.

sig not found
Thursday, September 06, 2007 7:25 AM
Would that be any 2.3 head. I have a few laying around. Also would I have to use the 2.3 manifold? I would like to stay with the 2.4's because it is a top feed.
Thursday, September 06, 2007 8:14 AM
Do a search for 086 swap, that is the more desirable 2.3 head followed by the 456. Really in your case any of them would be better because they have bigger valves and will raise your compression considerably. 086 has the biggest valves and ports. You will need to modifay a few water passages on the head but that can be found in pictures on here. I know for sure there is one extremely long thread on the topic. I have done this swap and retained stock cams, the difference was noticable. Also if you like the 2.4 intake, although it is more restrictive, you could probably modify it to fit the 2.3 head. People do the opposite for the 2.3 manifold and 2.4 head all the time around here. Hope this helps some.

Friday, September 07, 2007 4:53 AM
scott (section8cav) wrote:
Quote:

THATS odd..cus i have a 2.4 chain on my 2.3 engine with no problems...now take into account that the 2.3 components are bigger and heavier..still want to use it?

X2, i have used both set ups on my LG0, but because the water pump gear is for a LG0\LD2 chain, thats what it has in it now.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search