Ground wire kit with voltage regulator question - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ground wire kit with voltage regulator question
Wednesday, June 27, 2007 9:16 PM
Ok, I almost bought a set off of E-bay because it did so well on my last ride.
The problem is, the battery has that big screw with a tiny head for a tiny little wrench instead of a slip over ring that tightens to the poles with a screw.

I need the post style battery to install the kit.

Is there an adaptor out there for our style battery so we can use the ground wire kit?

Re: Ground wire kit with voltage regulator question
Thursday, June 28, 2007 1:15 PM
I wouldn't recommend the side terminal to top mount post style adapters for what you're wanting to do. They are a top post style lug with threads that thread into the side terminal.

I'd go an get a dual terminal battery with side and top posts. With that being said, any parts store should have those conversion lugs in their battery section, I just don't know how you'd go about making it work.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 10:10 PM
Ground wire kits don't do crap. Return it, if you can.

...j

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 8:56 PM
Here is another question on the possibility of install.

What if someone just soldered an 8 guage insulated wire to the negative cable instead and then solder the other end to the post mount instead?

Any problems that could arise from modding the negative cable to the battery?
Wednesday, July 11, 2007 9:40 PM
It doesn't matter how you install the wire... solder, post mount, strip three feet off and wrap it around the terminals.....

Ground "hyper voltage" kits are junk, period. If they REALLY worked, they'd come stock. Just like the computer horsepower hacks on Ebay... and the Tornado... and every other bull@!#$ mod promising cheap horsepower or fuel economy.

THEY DON'T WORK!

Seriously... if they did... why don't they come on cars from the factory???

(If you're having light dimming problems.... because your music is turned up too loud.... then yes, improving the factory grounds can help a BIT... but don't expect to double your gas mileage doing it)

Thursday, July 12, 2007 6:10 PM
I see your not sold, that is fine, but I am. If worse comes to worse, it is a $35 upgrade to enhance the visual of my engine compartment.

I had installed a ground wire kit on my Dodge Daytona non-turbo ES, and it made a very noticeable difference.

The car started quicker, the idle was better, and the up and go was better.

The up and go can be noticed on a low output car, but not on one with 150hp or more.

The amount of up and go gained felt the same as an upgraded muffler from 1 3/4" to 2 1/4".
(but just the muffler itself, not a full 2 1/4" exhaust)

Before you say the ground was bad on the Daytona since my car was old, it had a recent engine rebuild with new wiring harness and grounds.

For $35 it does give your 4 banger an edge that is worth it, even if you do not notice much difference on a higher powered 4 banger.

They have dyno tested many company's ground wire kit with voltage regulators and have gotten anywhere from 5hp to 12hp. The Apexi kit is the best, but is like $200. Yes, many companys lie, but this was a competition to see who had the most output and the dynos were done by a mediator.

I never used a voltage regulator on my Daytona, so I do not know if that particular mod does anything.

Car companies wont spend the extra $10-30 per kit and the cost of install just to get another 5hp and a little quicker start up on the ignition. Hell, they cut corners so much they have these grandoise ideas that by the time they hit the showroom, are nowhere near the original conception.
Thursday, July 12, 2007 10:46 PM
As far as 3rd gen J-cars go, they don't work. I don't know about Daytons, and I don't care because I don't own one.

Enjoy your $35 visual upgrade. No point taking this thread further off topic.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 11:05 PM
If you want the charging system to work a little better, add a 4 gauge cable from the batt. positive to the output wire of the alternator. With all those grounds you now have, that upgrade should help a bit more, but expect no miracles.

Friday, July 13, 2007 9:59 AM
John Lenko wrote:As far as 3rd gen J-cars go, they don't work.

Well, if the stock mounting point on the battery tray rusts to hell, then they do. Car ran like crap until my neighbor figured that one out. I didn't buy a kit, but I bought 4 gauge wire and connectors and it worked like a charm.

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.
Friday, July 13, 2007 11:10 AM
Absolutely... but that's a repair, not a performance part.

There is no horsepower or fuel economy to be gained from a bunch of ground wires. As I said... if there were, it would come stock like that. I have yet to see any actual proof (real dyno sheets) proving it works on any car.

As far as I'm concerned... it's an Ebay junk mod... just like resistors in a box.

Friday, July 13, 2007 12:39 PM
better ground wires arent total crap.........but its not getting you 5 hp either.

Its not a voltage "regulator " either. its a "stabalizer". The only one I've seen dyno numbers for is Evilautostyle. In Modified Mag a few moths ago they put one on a SS cobalt and did gain a few hp.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search