For you Engine Gurus - Need Help - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
For you Engine Gurus - Need Help
Wednesday, June 27, 2007 5:22 PM
So this freaky crap is happening to my car.

When I go into boost hard. I dropped to 8PSI from 10. Seems anything over 4500rmp something happens internally. Which causes my spark plugs to re-gap themselves to 0(yes I said Zero). The effected cylinder of course goes dead. So far this has happened to cylinder 1, 3, and 4. All three were separate occasions.

So that is the effect of the problem... What would be the cause?

Some other info...

The plugs are NGK v-power for the SRT4. The stock copper core. I have used these for about a year. (replacing them regularly) Hasn't happened until this week.
If you have any other questions for me please ask. I also have a HPTuners if you want me to take a log let me know. I have no idea how to create a log file so I will need help there.

Thanks in advance.

Darryn

2004 Cavalier coupe, 5 speed, White
GO
Hahn Stage 2, Eagle rods, Wiseco 8.9, SS Valves, Dual valve springs, valve job, Ti seats and retainers
spec stage 3, Fidanza 7.5lb flywheel, Short Shifter
Slotted and dimpled rotors, EBC green stuff
SHOW
VIS EVO CF hood, KOBE KAM 5 17", Nexxen N3000, Ebay Black tails and filler, 5% tint
Gold line springs, Tokiko D-spec struts
ELECTRONICS
Kenwood in-dash DVD and Navigation, single Kicker CompVR
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2974835

Re: For you Engine Gurus - Need Help
Wednesday, June 27, 2007 6:27 PM
try boost or tuning forum,

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Wednesday, June 27, 2007 8:45 PM
you sir, have a poped motor.

you ran lean. and dont have a good tune.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 9:07 PM
Exactly what happened to mine. You detonated and broke pieces of the pistons off. Those pieces hit the spark plugs and closed them up. Guaranteed.

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Thursday, June 28, 2007 9:38 AM
time for a rebuild. pull your head off and you'll see what everyone's talking about.

which is why I don't recommend running SRT4 plugs ever. whenever someone puts them in, its usually followed by a "I blew up my car" thread.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 10:51 AM
What plugs do you recommend?

Since I will need to do a rebuild...

Should I buy the forged connectors too. Should I attempt this myself or just drop the car and the parts off to a shop? Should I go with the lower compression pistons? Will that ruin my driveability? Should I go with the oversized pistons or factory sized? Benefits / negatives?

What about the Head? Should I just replace it with say the patriot stage 2. Is the Head not the problem? Should I open it up and look?
The car still drives thank goodness... Pretty well till about 4800 rpm.

Thanks for your help.

Darryn

GO
Hahn Stage 2, Eagle rods, Wiseco 8.9, SS Valves, Dual valve springs, valve job, Ti seats and retainers
SHOW
VIS EVO CF hood, KOBE KAM 5 17", Nexxen N3000, Ebay Black tails and filler, 5% tint
ELECTRONICS
Thursday, June 28, 2007 1:54 PM
Darryn DiSanto wrote:What plugs do you recommend?

Since I will need to do a rebuild...

Should I buy the forged connectors too. Should I attempt this myself or just drop the car and the parts off to a shop? Should I go with the lower compression pistons? Will that ruin my driveability? Should I go with the oversized pistons or factory sized? Benefits / negatives?

What about the Head? Should I just replace it with say the patriot stage 2. Is the Head not the problem? Should I open it up and look?
The car still drives thank goodness... Pretty well till about 4800 rpm.

Thanks for your help.

Darryn

ok firstly, the problem isn't with your head, its with whats under it... in otherwords, one your pistons has chunks that have melted off due to lean conditions and its bouncing around in your combustion chamber smacking into stuff.. and closing your spark plug gap. This is very, very bad. Its called "cracked ringlands" and is a common problem with ecos that get boosted and aren't tuned just right.

lower compression (8.9:1 wiseco) will not ruin drivability.

no reason to oversize the pistons if you have fresh cylinder walls

if i were you, i'd park it before you do more damage

and from your questions, don't build it yourself. have someone else do it.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 5:04 PM
Ok... Another important question

If I go with the 20 overbore on the piston will the stock sleeves still be able to handle good power. We are talking about 400 crank hp.

Darryn.

GO
SHOW
ELECTRONICS
Thursday, June 28, 2007 5:23 PM
nobody i know of has cracked stock sleeves on an ecotec yet

but 400crank hp should be well within reason. at 5 or 600 I would start to worry about the sleeves

Thursday, June 28, 2007 5:39 PM
These are bored 20 over sleeves you are referring too?

GO
SHOW
ELECTRONICS
Thursday, June 28, 2007 5:39 PM
Darryn DiSanto wrote:Ok... Another important question

If I go with the 20 overbore on the piston will the stock sleeves still be able to handle good power. We are talking about 400 crank hp.

Darryn.

STOP.

THINK

open it up, see what hapened. worring about it now will get you know where.

hell right now my GTZ is siting with all the intake valves open.... who cares, it dosent run! time to build it. (thanks karo)

see whats going on inside, then worry about how your going to come up with the money.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Thursday, June 28, 2007 5:54 PM
Money is not the issue at the moment...

I just got home from the shop that is going to rebuild my engine. They did compression and leakdown. They said it is the exact reasons yall said. They think I chipped the ring land off.

The mech was the one who wanted to know if the stock sleeve will still have good strength if we overbore it. That way I would buy the 20 over bore so when the machine shop is ready for the work it won't matter if the sleeves are ovaled or scorned. It is a smarter way of doing business. That way I don't buy the stock bore and find out that I need to send them back for the over bore. Thus making the job take longer than a month. That is why I am worried about the stock sleeves.

Even if I spent the time to pull my head this weekend I still wouldn't know what too beat up of a sleeve would look like to be able to say. "Yeah just honing this is not gunna work."

So please help me out guys...

Darryn

GO
SHOW
ELECTRONICS
Thursday, June 28, 2007 6:27 PM
GREAT shop, thay dont eaven have books on Specs for rebuilding a engine.

GM offeres up to .040 for your car. (your safe)

the safe way to do business is to find out what kind of honeing\boreing need to be done to clean up the cyl wall. anything else is just to gain displasment.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Thursday, June 28, 2007 6:30 PM
The place is a performance shop. They send out the block for balancing and honing... All that good stuff.

Last question.

What is the factory head gasket made out of?

Darryn

GO
SHOW
ELECTRONICS
Thursday, June 28, 2007 7:08 PM
Darryn DiSanto wrote:The place is a performance shop. They send out the block for balancing and honing... All that good stuff.

Last question.

Darryn

not much of a performance shop if they don't balance and hohn in-house.. just my thoughts on that...

everything they're suggesting except for the cylinder boring is sound. they need to disassemble the motor and measure the walls to check they're within spec.
pay attention now...

THERE IS NO NEED TO BORE OUT AND HOHN GOOD CYLINDER WALLS.

everytime you do, you have less cushion for a rebuild next time and you'll be in the market for a new block instead.
but if you do need to punch it out a bit, the sleeves will be FINE .0020" over

don't let them sell you @!#$ because you're not sure of what to do. read some of the FAQs in the performance forum and in the boost forum.

just because you have money doesn't mean that your ignorance to how this stuff works won't buy you a P.O.S. hackjob rebuilt motor. know what you're buying.
spend your money with brains not brawn.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 7:25 PM

Darryn

GO
SHOW
ELECTRONICS
Thursday, June 28, 2007 7:47 PM
cork. don't use it.

do what ever that pro shop says, you probably will anyways.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Thursday, June 28, 2007 8:06 PM
The shop said I want to buy and MLS gasket. So it looks like Cometic is the only way to go. Is there any other companies out there that make a MLS gasket for our car?
Just so you know I am going to get the stock bore. John , a guy who posts on here, did the same to his engine and he said he didn't need to bore the sleeve. He said it will most likely be fine.
THanks.

Darryn

GO
SHOW
ELECTRONICS
Friday, June 29, 2007 3:52 PM
I wanted to say thanks to Karo at carcustoms... He got the items that I ordered shipped out the same day. Talk about a man who takes his business seriously. He is a great guy. I can't wait to do business with him again.

Darryn

GO
SHOW
ELECTRONICS
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search