finished bolt ons.. now what - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
finished bolt ons.. now what
Tuesday, June 26, 2007 7:34 PM
Hey, well i just placed my order for upper and lower motor mounts through RKsport, now i'l have intake, 62mm throttle body, 4+1 header, high flow cat, cat back exhaust (all 2 1/4 used for exhaust) Upper and lower mounts.
Now, i'm trying to decide what i should get next, I'm thinking either HPT or Cams... i will be selling all my audio gear so i might be looking into pulleys, . . . anyway
could you guys enlighten me on what would be my best choice. I've got the 2.2 Ecotec

2003 White Cavalier LS Sport Coupe

Re: finished bolt ons.. now what
Tuesday, June 26, 2007 7:39 PM
well pulleys, flywheel, balance shaft delete, cams all good options..phil
Tuesday, June 26, 2007 7:50 PM
What about HP Tuners?

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 9:12 PM
id really use that extra money and buy some mods first..yes you migh be able to squeeze a few hp out of the car with hpt..but.......if you arent experienced you can make it run way worse then youll have to pay someone that knows what they are doing to fix it...seriously my opinion..buy some mods then look at hpt...phil
Wednesday, June 27, 2007 3:41 AM
cams then hptuners
or a patriot performance head

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, June 27, 2007 3:42 AM

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Wednesday, June 27, 2007 9:24 AM
i would do a p&p job on the head, then cams. HPT wont give you much for N/A, and for the price you could probably do both the head and the cams.
Wednesday, June 27, 2007 2:39 PM
Sweet, thanks. I'm looking into cam's now, Do you guys have any suggestions to what kind/brand, i would like to turbo my car but doubt that'l happen for another year or 2. so now im looking for a very aggressive cam that can be used with the stock head (will upgrade lifters and springs)

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 4:45 PM
Stitch wrote:Hey, well i just placed my order for upper and lower motor mounts through RKsport, now i'l have intake, 62mm throttle body, 4+1 header, high flow cat, cat back exhaust (all 2 1/4 used for exhaust) Upper and lower mounts.
Now, i'm trying to decide what i should get next, I'm thinking either HPT or Cams... i will be selling all my audio gear so i might be looking into pulleys, . . . anyway
could you guys enlighten me on what would be my best choice. I've got the 2.2 Ecotec

Sell most of it on Ebay for half what you payed for it and start saving for boost.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 5:13 PM
BlackEco is correct

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 5:17 PM
I would get HP Tuners then the cam.

The reason being, the car will run weird on you upgrading the cam without having the software first.

In other words, you have this new cam making the computer go weird on you, while waiting who knows how long to get the tuning software is not good for the motor.

Tune what you got, then tune it again on your laptop when you get the cam is what I would do.

I am curious, have you timed your 0-60 and 1/4 with these current mods?

I am trying to get to where you are currently.

Thanks...
Wednesday, June 27, 2007 6:50 PM

Sell most of it on Ebay for half what you payed for it and start saving for boost.
Well i was looking over some profiles of the guys who are boosted and they have the same things as i've already got (including you) like 61mm throttle body, full exhaust, mounts, so im just curious to why i would sell these for half the price if i'm going to need them in the long run anyway? correct me if i'm wrong but that doesn't make much sence.... i mean hell yeah i'm gonna turbo it. but i thought there were things i should have before, like... if i bought a turbo kit from Hahn Racecraft (which i will as soon as i have the money saved) will i have to have HPT to tune it if not what would i have to use...

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 8:18 PM
Stitch wrote:

Well i was looking over some profiles of the guys who are boosted and they have the same things as i've already got (including you) like 61mm throttle body, full exhaust, mounts, so im just curious to why i would sell these for half the price if i'm going to need them in the long run anyway? correct me if i'm wrong but that doesn't make much sence.... i mean hell yeah i'm gonna turbo it. but i thought there were things i should have before, like... if i bought a turbo kit from Hahn Racecraft (which i will as soon as i have the money saved) will i have to have HPT to tune it if not what would i have to use...

- You can't use a NA header with a turbo unless you fabricate a remote mount turbo kit (i.e. not a Hahn kit).
- A 2 1/4 exhaust is doable, but at the same time detrimental to making good HP out of a turbo motor.

Everything else you should be able to use.

Back to whether you should get HPT or not...Anyone who knows me, knows I will hail Megasqurit or any other standalone over HPT, but HPTuners is a great choice in tuning for those who are terrified of splicing wires and such...and yes, get something to control fuel and spark before the cam. An aftermarket cam will most likely push the powerband beyond the stock rev limiter. Without something to tune it, you are stuck with less area under the power curve (Max HP means little to nothing in a race).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, June 27, 2007 8:20 PM

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.
Thursday, June 28, 2007 5:30 PM
Oh, i get what you'r saying now, yeah ditch the exhaust. and i might as well just save for boost. it'l put me around where i want to be as far as performance goes (until i race something bigger, and faster, lol)
and no, i have yet to test my 0-60 and 1/4 mile because i haven't been able to make it to the track yet, i'l hopefully be heading down sometime within the next month or so though.

Friday, June 29, 2007 4:29 AM
supercharger

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search