Timing chain tensioner problem - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Timing chain tensioner problem
Wednesday, June 06, 2007 5:44 PM
Motor is a 1999 2.4L

So heres the deal. Finally got my motor back in after doing ARP studs, bolts, MLS head gasket and a new turbo setup. Took the car out for a little rip N/A cause i didn;t have the charge pies ready yet, and when i got back the timing chain was chattering at idle, but went away for it was revved up a bit. I know its the timing chain tensioner but heres where i need help. I didn't know you had to reset the tensioner (wasn;'t in the damn book!!) when you put it back in. So either A) can i reset the tensioner and all is good as gold or B) do i need a new tensioner? If i need a new tensioner i know there is a 1 peice design rather than the factory 2 peice. If so, does anyone have a part # for this 1 peice tensioner???

Re: Timing chain tensioner problem
Wednesday, June 06, 2007 6:50 PM
i would think if your timing is not off you should be able to just reset it so that the tention is on the chain the way it should and you would be all good.
Wednesday, June 06, 2007 7:04 PM
do you have a pic of your two peice? i believe i have a one piece in my 96"z but not sure.
Wednesday, June 06, 2007 7:05 PM
WOW, I have 3 pages on this very topic in this forum

Yeah, youll need to release the tentioner obvoisly.. When you pull the cover again, line up your marks.. If they do line up then yea go ahead and release your tentioner.. But Im not so sure that the timing is not off now, I would think it is since there was no tention on it. Good luck though man, I know it sucks..

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search