Other engine swaps besides Ecotec?? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Other engine swaps besides Ecotec??
Sunday, June 03, 2007 8:05 PM
Hey, well i hear alot of people doing ecotec swaps, but not alot about other swaps? Why is that?
Ilm just curious what other engine swaps (that aren't painfully hard) would show more gain stock for stock than doing an ecotec. Im asking cuz (if you see my other thread in "other cars") Ilm looking for a new car and ilm really thinking i want to get a convert. J and do an engine swap then give er' some boost. Maybe someone can let me know if there is another engine swap that has more potential (when boosted) for a J.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, i'm tired lol

Re: Other engine swaps besides Ecotec??
Sunday, June 03, 2007 8:42 PM
I believe the most common swaps for J-bodies - are the Ecotecs, & the Quad4/2.4L Twin Cams - mostly because they are the easiest for J-body owners that have the 2.2L ohv.

Both the Ecotec & Quad4/2.4 Twin Cams offer alot of aftermarket support compared with the 2.2L ohv. And either type motor is capable of turning your J-body into screamer, that is capable of surprising many people for faster cars,

The Ecotec may seem to be more popular lately because they are newer. And most LD9's(2.4L TC) and Quad 4s tend to have Higher Mileage (at least 60,000 miles) on the motors already.
Sunday, June 03, 2007 8:48 PM
^^by his name title, im guessing he has a 99. and unless hes wanting to go through alot of crap the eco swap isnt really a option. id say his only option is a 2.4 unless hes a wiring wizard, then go 3400 v6.

Sunday, June 03, 2007 8:59 PM
Viper V10 using HPTuners

Monday, June 04, 2007 1:19 AM
[quote=DrÃkÉ]^^by his name title, im guessing he has a 99. and unless hes wanting to go through alot of crap the eco swap isnt really a option. id say his only option is a 2.4 unless hes a wiring wizard, then go 3400 v6.

i should have explained that im selling my 99 cuz its gone to the crapper and i need something new.
Monday, June 04, 2007 11:41 AM
99 Cavi wrote:i should have explained that im selling my 99 cuz its gone to the crapper and i need something new.

02 z2ftw

Monday, June 04, 2007 5:40 PM
quad HO ftw ..the HOquad4 will give the most power stock for stock and is one the easier swaps..some can still be found with lower milage..but lets face it..you have the engine out..why not update somethings while its there

Monday, June 04, 2007 7:54 PM
Someone on YouTube supposedly has a Sunfire with a 3800 series II SC in his.
Monday, June 04, 2007 8:15 PM
Mike Tampa wrote:Someone on YouTube supposedly has a Sunfire with a 3800 series II SC in his.

That's odd...

Several on JBO seem to as well.

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.
Monday, June 04, 2007 9:04 PM
Well -if your sellling your 99 then way worry about a swap.

Just sale it - as is - then take the money an get a car that you like - say a newer 2003-2005 J-body.
Tuesday, June 05, 2007 3:51 AM
if i was to choose an engine id go with the 2.4 over the eco, with the proper build. youd need to address the oiling system, it has high rpm issues. other than that they make more power (150hp/155tq vs 140hp/150tq) and mod for mod they seem to keep that advantage, if not widen the gap. youd need to rebuild it most likely, given its likely to be a higher mileage engine. however, being an older engine has its advantages...theres more out there for it and a lots of people that really know the engine well.

Join verbalwarfare.com

http://www.verbalwarfare.com/forum.php?referrerid=86

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search