dual exhaust necessary? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
dual exhaust necessary?
Saturday, June 02, 2007 11:02 PM
im going to be replacing the exhaust on my car fairly soon... i will have an RK sport bodykit on there by that time and it has the two cutouts for dual exhaust... i dont want a huge 4" exhaust and i know to much exhaust can cause loss of torque or loss of power... would a 3" exhaust with a Y pipe in it be to much for a 2000 2.2L cavalier? i figure anything is better than stock, but i dont want my car to be compared to any of the cars around here with the 4" tips on stock exhaust and other gay tricks of honda owners...

oh, and this may be bringing back a ghost of a post... but i did race that honda with the bolt on exhaust and intake... and beat him thanks to my first gear lasting longer than his... i beat him by 1.5lengths at the 1/4 mile. time was shameful though...

Re: dual exhaust necessary?
Saturday, June 02, 2007 11:09 PM
Duals don't really give us a performance gain, they do give a nice sound though.

If you don't have a turbo or supercharger, I wouldn't go any higher than 2.5". 2.25" is really more reasonable because it makes power where we need it the most.

Sunday, June 03, 2007 11:08 AM
that was another question of mine. thanks for the advice! right now im looking for a good sound from what ive got. eventually it will become more performance oriented. but thats what im dealing with right now. what gives the least 4cylinder sound when it comes to mufflers? or just the best non cheap rattle type sound
Sunday, June 03, 2007 3:37 PM
Quote:

what gives the least 4cylinder sound when it comes to mufflers?

a car without a 4 cylinder.

Sunday, June 03, 2007 3:47 PM
other than that.... i knew someone would throw that in there... maybe i should rephrase... what gives the deepest not screechy or whiney tone?
Sunday, June 03, 2007 3:57 PM
smaller pipes, a good muffler like Borla (which I think was tested to have the deepest/lowest tone), resonator, etc. Here is a sound clip of mine at idle. I'm gonna upload a full video with revving, details what was installed, etc in a day or two when I convert all the footage. But mine now has a much lower tone and much deeper than stock.

Sunday, June 03, 2007 5:24 PM
As for dual exhaust being necessary - well you only have one head, so no. Real dual exhaust involves 2 completely separate exhaust pipes - 1 coming from each exhaust manifold/header. That means 2 downpipes, 2 catalytic converters, 2 mufflers, etc.

What you could do is dual exit exhaust. Simply using a Y-pipe or a single-in dual-out muffler accomplishes this - but there is no power benefit from this but you are adding weight. Also, the pipes after the Y (or muffler) don't need to be as big as the single pipe feeding them. You ideally want for the 2 pipes to have an identical flow capacity to the single larger pipe(to keep up velocity). But how to do this? Lets assume you go with a 3" pipe.

Radious of the original pipe is half of the 3" diameter. Lets call this R1. A1 is for the surface area of the original pipe.
R1 = 1.5"
A1 = (R^2) * 3.14
A1 = 2.25 * 3.14
A1 = 7.068

So to see what size pipes we need just divide A1 by 2(since we're running 2 pipes)
A2 = 3.5342

R2 = square root of(A2 / 3.14)
R2 = square root of(1.125)
R2 = 1.0606
Now we need to multiple R2 * 2 to get the diameter pipes we want.
2.1213" is ideally what you want. Good luck finding that size so I'd say go with 2.25" pipes to be close enough. You could also say that 2" is close but you would then be lowering the capacity below what the 3" could flow.

Now id you started off with 2.5" pipes, same procedure - the answer is dual 1.7677" pipes. But 1.75" pipes will have to do.

I've never heard of this "part throttle" before. Does it just bolt on?
Sunday, June 03, 2007 5:56 PM
thanks for the math... i did mean dual exit.. so a 3" exhaust with a 3" to 2.25" Ypipe in it? and 2.25" exits? (im not trying to sound sarcastic. im glad you showed me the math. i would have given up and thrown some pipes on there

steve, the exhaust clip didnt get your aftermarket exhaust going. it cut short. thanks for the effort though. i would love to hear it when you get the clip finished
Sunday, June 03, 2007 9:27 PM
I have the RKSport/Magnaflow dual exhaust. Its fun and sounds good on my car and I like it but its not anything for performance by any means. I have a 5 speed and it sounds good, but my friend has a Cavy that is auto and it kinda whistles when he drives.... so If you choose that option if you want performance I would go with a single, but if your looking for show go with the dual.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search