How To Beat A Tiburon V6 With My 2.2 L Eco? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How To Beat A Tiburon V6 With My 2.2 L Eco?
Friday, June 01, 2007 3:06 PM
Hey guys i'm new to the site and the world of tuning, meaning that I have basic car knowledge but nothing over the top so speak in laymans terms plz! But anyways my friend just bought a tiburon V6 GT and he is annoying the @!#$ out of everyone because his car is fastest. It supposedly comes stock with 173 Hp and MY cav Z24 2003 2.2L Eco comes stock with something like 140 Hp. I have already installed a cold air intake on my car.. not a true cold air intake..(Through the grill or whatever) And I have just ordered a Vibrant Catback Exhaust System as well as Pacesetter Polished Armor Coat Headers. I think next on my list will be an aluminum Crank Pulley ..Do you think I'll need more to compete (the pulley wont be installed yet just the cold air the headers and the catback) ..which other parts can I buy to win a quarter mile race against him without turbo or nitrous thanks for any comments

Re: How To Beat A Tiburon V6 With My 2.2 L Eco?
Friday, June 01, 2007 3:13 PM
Your cars are more closley matched than you might think. Race him with what you got now (or once you get your new parts on) and if you loose, you'll know how much more you need to stay with him. Until you get a baseline, theres really now way to know for sure. His car has more power, but it's a bit heavier too.

Friday, June 01, 2007 3:17 PM
Drivers Race, if you know how to drive and have a 5 spd, you may rape him.

Friday, June 01, 2007 3:18 PM
Hey thanks for the reply.. I should clarify when I said how much will I need to compete I wasn't exactly clear I mean how much more do you think I need to take it for sure...All Engine though
Friday, June 01, 2007 3:27 PM
Have you ever raced him? I have a 99Z w/ a 2.4 and I smoke them I have a bit more power than you but Im bone stock. After you do intake and catback you should be there easily. And if you want to monkey rape him you simply get a set of comp cam stage II cams. Dont be afraid those cars have that power b/c they need it. They wiegh 3k pounds the fastest I ever seen one run in quarter was 15.8. Race him know most dudes that brag cant drive.
Friday, June 01, 2007 3:28 PM
What where saying is that there's a chance you could beat him NOW, but there's no way to know for sure intil you try.

Friday, June 01, 2007 3:34 PM
Well the cams and the crank pulley are my next mods but they will be a while down the road I just ordered the catback and the headers today so they will take a while to get here also I raced my buddies 2.4 cav auto and we were fairly even he got a bit of a jump on me but beat me by like half a car length but I have driven in this other friends car the Tiburon and can tell for a fact its got a lot more power than my car right now...Im just wondering how much horse do you think ill gain from the ehaders and the exhaust I was hoping for at least 20 Hp Gain
Friday, June 01, 2007 3:41 PM
my best friend has a tiburon v6 gt. I walk him all the time now thanks to Hp tuners lol. I am in the process of the s/c install but as of now i have simply a custom 2.5 catback, weapon r header, intake, short shifter, and motor mounts...walk him all the time.

lol 20 hp try 8 maybe.

Friday, June 01, 2007 4:08 PM
I had a friend with a V6 Gt tib, and all I had was a short ram intake. No headers, no nothing but a short ram intake. He had a AEM WAI intake, full exhaust from baola (forgot how to spell it) and he barely beat me by like a foot. Imagine if I had all those mods he had, and my engine is a 4 banger 2.4L. You can easily beat him with your pacesetters and full exhaust especilly since your platform is the ecotec.

GMR has got nothing on this
Friday, June 01, 2007 4:23 PM
what ever happened to the vs forum?

Friday, June 01, 2007 4:36 PM
Won't motor mounts and trans mounts help?

***Looking for a BLUE 03+ STOCK cavi wing pm me if ya got one you wanna sell***

Friday, June 01, 2007 4:47 PM
The Versus forum disapeared during the time I was gone, I was wondering the same thing. I'm assuming it caused to many problems, because bench racing never has happy endings. I do miss reading it though...it was one of the funner forums on the site even if it was filled with BS

Friday, June 01, 2007 5:37 PM
A lightened crank pulley will help probably as much as the headers...
Friday, June 01, 2007 5:42 PM
ha... I just raced a 02' tibby v6 last week. It was auto tho. Im a 96' cavy z24 5speed with intake and custom urethane upper mount. We started at 40mph I was it third and went. I was behind till about 65-70 then pulled like the wind! Shifted and its was over! Slowed at the next like and the guy said, 5 speed? I said yea..... he said thats no regular cavy. lol. Imagine if I downshifted to 2nd at 40 and walked him the whole way.
Friday, June 01, 2007 9:40 PM
well u should easily eat this guy becuz the tibs yes do have more horsepower but they are more tp end and like low end power. a v6 tib is almost like a eco w/o the torque power when u launch the car.
my advise is to slowly build up ur rev to 4gs and then get the better jump.
Friday, June 01, 2007 11:13 PM
From what i've seen of Tiburon GT V6 road tests - they are about equal with the SVT Focus.

Roughly low 15 sec 1/4 mile times.

Still with an intake, enlarged/pnp TB, headers, & exhaust on your Ecotec powered Cavy, you should be able to match or beat a stock Tiburon GT.
Saturday, June 02, 2007 12:53 AM
Well this tibby Is the 6 sp Gt version and my buddy can drive it like he stole it. But that being said if I race him even just to see how close it is I would never hear the end of it..thats just how he is so I basically need to walk him the first try at it..so maybe before I call him out ill have the exhaust and headers i have on oerder installed plus the lightweight crank pulley and the stage 1 cams i will order ... must take no chances..gotta smoke him
Saturday, June 02, 2007 1:24 AM
Sounds like your friend is either young or not too bright if he thinks 15's (or even 14's for that matter) is fast enough to brag about. If you could afford it, you could just bolt on the GM charger, have someone with HPT tune your ECM and you are guaranteed a win (barring you don't suck at shifting).

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.
Saturday, June 02, 2007 10:36 AM
Yeah the thing is I don't have the money for a turbo and to be honest I don't really want one on this car probabaly on my next car. I pretty much just wanna make sure im not missing any really easy to do engine mods that I can do at home, ones that will make a big difference anyways. As far as I know I have either ordered or have plans to order most of the cheapest upgrades that I can do to the engine what else is there for me guys?
Saturday, June 02, 2007 3:05 PM
Now your on a whole different subject. You can beat the tibby w/ intake and exhaust. if you want to make power and asking what mods are best you need to give more info. Like budget for one, then power levels or e.t. you have in mind. Im trying to help b4 these guys start flaming.
Saturday, June 02, 2007 6:02 PM
I just received my springs and on the box it says it improve acceleration and aerodynamics .... is this true??

***Looking for a BLUE 03+ STOCK cavi wing pm me if ya got one you wanna sell***

Saturday, June 02, 2007 7:16 PM
If the springs are stiffer or have a stiffer spring rate then they will reduce that dipping motion you see cars do upon a hard launch. So the energy that would be absorbed by the springs will no longer be absorbed by the springs and since energy is always conserved it will transfer that energy to the tires hence giving you a faster launch. You probably wont see a difference in just springs as your struts are still stock but change those and you'll get a lot more tire spin when launching now which means you know need tires. I suggest tokico d specs as thats whats on my car and they have infinite adjust ability from almost stock to just about no travel at all.
Saturday, June 02, 2007 7:17 PM
What springs did you get?
Saturday, June 02, 2007 7:23 PM
Well what would you say is the average amount of horsepower that a tuned eco with no turbo or s/c would have?? I know its unrealistic on my part but I'm hoping to get my car up to 180 hp without turbo or nitrous i dont care how many engine mods i need but just not turbo...my friend would just use that as an excuse..(you just beat me cause of your turbo) he is ignorant
Saturday, June 02, 2007 7:48 PM
I would say with the stage III cams from comp cams, intake, exhaust, and a tune will get you that power goal. But if your trying to beat your friend we told you intake and exhaust will get you there. Its not all about h.p. Racing is about power to weight ratio and he has the weight of say a mustang w/o the power to put it in simple terms.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search