what TB is this? came with my intake from the turbo kit - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
what TB is this? came with my intake from the turbo kit
Thursday, May 31, 2007 5:55 PM
I didn't even notice this till now.. The Turbo kit I had bought a year or so off a guy on here came with what I think is the HO intake manifold (log style you see all boosted guys using) And the throttle body that was attached seems to be different and slightly bigger?? The overall body is bigger then my stock TB on my 2.4L and the inside/ butter fly valve is also bigger (slightly).
Thing is, on the stock 2.4L TB there is 4 bolts that are used and on this one i have there are only 2 also the one that came on the manifold has the letters MPFI A.C Rochester on it, and the black part where you wrap your throttle cable around is slightly bigger and the holes where the cable hooks up make it so you have to wrap the cable around a bit more.. Now they line up fine and it bolts on fine but my question is, is this an aftermarket thing? or is it just the stock TB that come on the 2.3L engines with that log style intake manifold? And is any one else using this?

I took some pictures if they help any at all... so here they are...

here is the stock one (left) and the other one (right)

here they both are again stock is left , other one is right

stock

new one

The First Twin Charged jbody
blue car (R.I.P) - 240whp @7psi..
silver car - 305whp 315lbs.tq @15psi (91 Octane) or 420whp & 425lbs.TQ @20psi (94 octane+Alcohol Injection)
All dynos run on a Mustang dyno

Re: what TB is this? came with my intake from the turbo kit
Thursday, May 31, 2007 6:07 PM
Looks to be the 2.3 tb to me..phil
Thursday, May 31, 2007 7:23 PM
yep

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Thursday, May 31, 2007 7:49 PM
yeah seems to be the 56mm tbody from the 2.3 Quad 4. Im going tommorow to the boneyard to look for one of those.

GMR has got nothing on this
Thursday, May 31, 2007 7:55 PM
ive got one sitting in my shed thats the one

Friday, June 01, 2007 12:28 AM
sweet deal i didnt even know that was it.. i was actually going to send it off to the scrap yard with the other car... ahah good thing i checked i guess... so it should work fine though even with me having to pull the throttle cable around more? and only having 2 bolts holding it in out of 4 ... with boost?

The First Twin Charged jbody
blue car (R.I.P) - 240whp @7psi..
silver car - 305whp 315lbs.tq @15psi (91 Octane) or 420whp & 425lbs.TQ @20psi (94 octane+Alcohol Injection)
All dynos run on a Mustang dyno
Friday, June 01, 2007 7:32 AM
When you say:
Josh F wrote:sweet deal i didnt even know that was it.. i was actually going to send it off to the scrap yard with the other car... ahah good thing i checked i guess... so it should work fine though even with me having to pull the throttle cable around more? and only having 2 bolts holding it in out of 4 ... with boost?

Do you mean there is slack in the throttle cable? If that is the case, you have to get a 95' J-body throttle cable bracket for the quad4, modify an older quad4 bracket (this is the route I chose), or simply make your own.

The 2 bolts aren't a big deal. They are significantly larger in diameter and therefore stronger than your 2.4L bolts. I believe the thread diameter on the ld9 is 6mm opposed to 8 or 10mm for the quad4 bolts.

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.
Friday, June 01, 2007 7:39 AM
wow, i had no idea the 2.3 only bolted on using 2 bolts. learn something new everyday.

Friday, June 01, 2007 10:37 AM
yup 2.3 56mm tb

and yup 2 bolts hole it to the intake , you will need a 2.3 cable bracket for it though the 2.4 bracket doesnt work all that well

Saturday, June 02, 2007 5:08 PM
hey I just picked up my 2.3 tbody off a 95 DOHC Grand am. But its not as big as I thought it would be. I mean Ive seen the pics above on the first post but it looks to me it doest make much a difference. I know our stock tbody on the LD9 is 52mm and the Quad 4 has a tbody with 56mm. But how can i measure, is the butterfly plate the same or is the cylinder walls make up for the 56mm. I just want to make sure I got the right one, again I got it off a 1995 grand am with the Quad 4. I also took the bracket. Ill post pics when I get out of work right now im on my hour lunch. Gotta EAT!!! But im getting it cause im installing the Quad 4 HO intake manifold also, still waiting on it from mantapart. Man they take a long time to process one order Please help, thanklz

GMR has got nothing on this
Saturday, June 02, 2007 10:29 PM
I'm using a 75mm tb from a 98 - 00 Chevy Truck I think, I'm getting it from Spyhunter the gut with the turboed LD9 Grand Am, it's the same as the one on his setup. He's using the HO intake as well, although I believe an adapter has to be made but that's not a big deal to me for the extra airflow.

2000 Z24 5spd header & catback for now.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search