Intake manifolds? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Intake manifolds?
Thursday, May 31, 2007 1:47 AM
I know some people have done this so hopefully they can help.
I'm thinking of installing an intake manifold of off a quad-4 HO onto my LD9, and was wondering if it just bolts right on, and if the throttle body will end up in the same place it is now so I wont have any problems with my CAI. I was also wondering how much of a difference it makes, and if theres anything else I need. I'll probably install a larger throttlebody while I'm at it.

Re: Intake manifolds?
Thursday, May 31, 2007 2:25 AM
so many, many,many threads on this subject,search to find all the answers and look at Chris Fontana's thread in the Group Purchase Forum for the phenolic flange.

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Thursday, May 31, 2007 3:08 AM
Ok, I didn't think to search, I found out pretty much everything I need to know, exept for the throttle body location thing. Anyone have a pic of one of those motors?

Thursday, May 31, 2007 3:45 AM
Ok, I know what I need to do to install one now, but from the pictures I've seen, the HO manifolds look completely different from the one on my car, and I need my throttlebody to stay where it is, am I just looking at this wrong or what?

Thursday, May 31, 2007 6:20 AM
You could buy a Venom. Very expensive, I would recommend taking your time and searching through ebay, I had to wait several months to find a deal that was worth my time and what i wanted. I got mine for $315.00 shipped and it was brand spanking new.

Or.. you could simply port out your stock manifold, i recommened a professional, but some have done it themselvs.

You could always do the HO mani. swap and keep your injen intake, you would just have to cut it to work. You could also buy an AEM cai for an ecotec, dont use the ECO TB section, use your injen 90* TB coupler and viola.....a really nice CAI setup.

Thursday, May 31, 2007 6:49 AM
venom mani
for $200 isaw it the other day and laughed.

Thursday, May 31, 2007 6:57 AM
^^^
Thats a waste of money.
Very poor copy of a good product.

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Thursday, May 31, 2007 8:03 AM
NightmaresCavy wrote:venom mani
for $200 isaw it the other day and laughed.

THAT IS NOT THE VENOM INTAKE MANIFOLD, ITS THE OBX RIPOFF AND ITS CRAP.

The Venom is of MUCH better quality.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, May 31, 2007 8:04 AM

Thursday, May 31, 2007 11:27 AM
Agreed OBX is not nearly the quality of Venom. OBX likes to just copy other compaines and cheap out when making it.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Thursday, May 31, 2007 11:06 PM
The stock plastic manifold looks pretty high flow, would an aftermarket one really work that much better or would I be better off leaving everything alone and just installing a big bore throttlebody instead?

Friday, June 01, 2007 7:42 AM
well, i installed my VENOM and an smg 58mm TB at the same time, but i also had my VCM tuned, and added a few other bolt on's so i really dont know if they helped or not. im leaning twords if they did, not much.

IMO, the venom should be used for boost.

Friday, June 01, 2007 7:56 AM
im not sure where the TB body problem is coming in..the intake mani is pretty easy to be installed..and all youd need to do to the cai is cut part of it off( easy stuff )

Friday, June 01, 2007 3:25 PM
So nobody has had any problems re-routing there hoses and wires to there throttlebody then? The power brake assist vaccume hose looks like it would be hard to relocate at all, thats what I'm really concerned about, I wan't to make sure I've got averything I need before I do it. I'f it's as simple as just re-plugging everything into the throttlebody with the stock wires and hoses I should be good to go.

Friday, June 01, 2007 9:24 PM
Weebel wrote:So nobody has had any problems re-routing there hoses and wires to there throttlebody then? The power brake assist vaccume hose looks like it would be hard to relocate.

just cut some of it off and run a rubber hose, or you could do away with the metal part completly and run a hose from the booster right to the TB.

Sunday, June 03, 2007 1:36 AM
OK thanx guys, now all I have to do is go find one, too bad no one can remember if there's any problems re-routing the throttle / cruise linkages, or how far away the throttlebody if moved from it's stock location, but I quess I'll find out when I do it. It must not be that hard if so many people have done it. Thanx Z yaaa, at least you seem to understand what I'm asking, I'll just figure out the rest for myself.

Sunday, June 03, 2007 6:05 AM
LO / HO > Venom.

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Sunday, June 03, 2007 1:31 PM
first off, i have NEVER seen any proof of what the venom or HO or LO intake manifolds do. From what i hear, the Venom is just a pretty looking stock manifold. The LO i have no experience with, but i have installed the HO and my quarter times did not change at all. they were exactly the same. so is it better or worse, i would have to say neither. I think again it just looks better then stock. As for install, i tried installing mine without relocating the batter and i ran into problems with the throttle cable, and found out that just moving the battery fixed all of that. other then that, it is a easy install for the most part. i know some people have issues with leaks, but i never did. just make sure since it is something you haven't done before, that you leave yourself plenty of time just in case your run into unseen problems.
Sunday, June 03, 2007 5:10 PM
From the post's i have read, which is many regarding this subject on this site and Quad 4 forums. State that it is unnecessary to replace your intake manifold unless your boosted.

The stock intake manifold is supposed to be able to support enough air for an LD9 producing up to 400 HP. The only place where i have seen any claims with increase in HP is changing the throttle body to a 2.3L which are 56mm which is 4mm bigger than the stock LD9 or a bored out stock one, but even at that there are not many claims that it will help much on a N/A car. The 2.3L throttle bodies bolt on with some modification, but if it were up to me i would suggest looking into something elso if you want to increase your power. From the looks of your profile it seems that you don't have much more than intake and exhaust, which with doing this mod you may spend a lot of money and not get what you were expecting.

Oh and i am sure you probably know by now, but when swaping to a HO or LO manifold your throttle body sits in an eniterly different spot quite near your battery parallel to where the ports are on the block for the intake, so will have to modify your intake, some vacuum hoses, and throttle linkage, there should be enough wiring for all the sensors so NO cutting is needed. This is also why you may need to relocate the battery.

Hope this helps man peace

Tuesday, June 05, 2007 4:50 AM
Sweet, that was what I was looking for thanx for finally understanding what I was talking about. I wasn't planning on using the stock throttlebody, I was probably just going to get a bored out one or try to use the one on that is on the car (2.3 HO) that I rip the intake out of (do it all at once). I know I'll have to modify my $250 intake and I can live with that, but I really don't wan't to move my battery. (thats getting a little too exessive), although If the battery is in the way, I know my intake won't work either, modified or not because its routed about 3 inches away from the battery (where it curves), wich is where the intake will apperently sit. Thanks for the info I apprecialte it, but It sounds like I'll have to research this a little more, and hopfully find some decent engine bay pictures of cars this has been done to before I actually go out and start tearing things apart.

Tuesday, June 05, 2007 10:12 AM
Just sell your $250 intake to someone else who thinks more money = more HP, buy a cheap one off ebay, buy a K&N filter and cut the pipe to size.

For pics, there is this thread...Click

And this was my setup before I relocated my battery to the trunk

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.
Tuesday, June 05, 2007 11:49 AM
Short Hand wrote:LO / HO > Venom.

proof?? where...???

Tuesday, June 05, 2007 12:57 PM
Stock manifold - 15.3 1/4
HO manifold - 15.3 1/4
Venom - From what I hear a shiny stock manifold

Those are my times, so I'm assuming that the venom would probably keep me about the same. I may have gone up or down a little bit # wise, but it didn't affect me 1/4 times at all, and that change was done after i already had full exhaust and a few other things. so if it was going to change it should have. Maybe under a boosted application it might change. Oh not to mention, that is with the same throttle body.
Tuesday, June 05, 2007 2:38 PM
Martinez wrote:Venom - From what I hear a shiny stock manifold

dead wrong. the stock manifold is plastic, the venom is polished ALUMINUM.

facts:
larger runners
actual plenum and larger than stock dimeter center section
lighter then stock (believe it or not, it freaking is)

Tuesday, June 05, 2007 2:53 PM
My auto 01 z ran a 15.8 with intake,58mm tb,motor mounts,and header back exhaust. Then I went back after doing the lo manifold swap using a fontana flange and ran a 15.6; I did nothing else to the car,was at the same track, and weather was even hotter than before. I say if you want performance for price and can do it, go for the 2.3 mani swap.

And not to be a dick z-yaaa but its also a hell of alot of money. I know you got a pretty good deal on yours but its still very expensive for what it is. It is a nice looking piece though

Tuesday, June 05, 2007 7:08 PM
I didn't mean shiny stock manifold as in it was the exact same as our manifolds only shiny. that would be retarded to think that when they charge a crap load for it.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search