piece of @!#$ car - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
piece of @!#$ car
Wednesday, May 30, 2007 5:51 PM
first off i have a 2200, 2000 cavalier 3 speed auto. now for the past 6 months or so ive been getting horrible gas mileage like about 18 mpg and i drive conservatively. ive noticed lately when i rev the car te rpms will rise of course but when the rpms are goin back down it goes to like 500 rpms and then up to 650 rpms and then goes back to idle at 500-550 rpms I also noticed that when im giving the car light gas it just does not go at all and it slightly chugs. If i give it light gas it takes like 10 seconds to get to about 30 lol. The last thing is the car shakes badly when it is at idle, now when u give it any gas it goes away it only shakes at idle. IM hoping someone could help me out because the shaking thing is embarassing.and this gas mileage is killin me at 3.83 a gallon. thanks for any input

Re: piece of @!#$ car
Wednesday, May 30, 2007 6:24 PM
It sounds like a dirty fuel system. have it cleaned at jiffy lube for like $60. See if that solves the problem.
Wednesday, May 30, 2007 6:31 PM
I replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the injectors about 500 miles ago and i run lucas fuel system cleaner once a month so i don think its that but it might be something worth looking into if i dont find anything wrong with. Another thing about my car is the check engine light popped on i had the codes checked and it said low voltage lean condition. I cleared the codes and never grabbed the numerical codes. But the service engine light did come back on a week later when i went WOT till about 70mph
Wednesday, May 30, 2007 6:48 PM
sorry about so many posts but I also have rough starts about once a week.
Wednesday, May 30, 2007 7:12 PM
You cleaned the injectors, but the intake valves can still be dirty. I think it's fuel, my brothers mustang did the same exact thing before we cleaned his.
Wednesday, May 30, 2007 7:14 PM
bad o2 sensor! i finally figured it out lol. The car did run good in open loop mode so i took it in and used a scanner and m first o2 sensor was operation at about 35-50 millivolts at times lol. So im guessing that the ecm sent a lean code because of the faulty o2 sensor?
Wednesday, May 30, 2007 7:26 PM
huh, that is wierd.
Wednesday, May 30, 2007 7:31 PM
thats actually pretty common..the 02 sensor causes more problems on our cars than you think

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 10:58 PM
check your 02 sensor and as screwed up as this might sound, check you air filter.

Thursday, May 31, 2007 7:43 PM
air filter is an aem cold air paid 275 for it two weeks ago lol but im def installing a new o2 sensor hell ima just do both
Friday, June 01, 2007 12:51 AM
The o2 is ths problem as you figured out. They should usually be changed every 60,000 miles or so to be honest with you. I would do that and new plugs and wires as well.

2009 Ford Mustang V6

Friday, June 01, 2007 4:52 AM
how much does a O2 sensor cost??

i have 114k and they havent been changed as far as i know. car still runs fine tho..

Friday, June 01, 2007 6:53 AM
upstream one is about 85 bucks unlees you have a discount.

Sunday, June 03, 2007 1:28 AM
depends on the engine you have, the one for my car is like 25 bucks, 2.4 is alot higher. The diffrence is 1 wire or 4 wire setup.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search