2.2 coils for 2.4 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 coils for 2.4
Monday, May 28, 2007 6:59 AM
Im wanting to do the swap but need to clear some things up in my head.

Coils and Icm from a 2200 (98 and newer) cavalier or sunfire

Part of the wiring harness with atleast 12" of wire and the bracket

Take the old cover, Icm, coils off and store them.

Cut off the old plug that went into the 2.4 Icm and attach the 2200 harness to it.

The colors are all the same and there are about 10 wires.

Hook up some spark plug wires and you are good to go.

Am I missing anything? I want to hit the yard up a little later. Thanks for a quick response!

Got this from another thread...
HERE!

Re: 2.2 coils for 2.4
Monday, May 28, 2007 8:16 AM
Save yourself some time and get the msd adapter boxes... tearing apart the 2.2 icm is a pita.... or if you eliminating the 2.4 icm wiring up the 2.2 icm can be a pita too!

Monday, May 28, 2007 8:31 AM
the method that thread uses works? I think a few people did it that way and if its just that way its cake.
Monday, May 28, 2007 11:08 AM
i did it the way the thread showed and it works for me

01' Z24 5 speed
422whp/400wtq
T4 Turbocharged
Built LD9
HP Tuners
Monday, May 28, 2007 12:08 PM
thanks... this should help quite a few people.
Monday, May 28, 2007 3:42 PM
Yep thats how I did it....it was cake and i think it took all of about 15 minutes. Part of that was figuring out where to mount it.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 4:07 AM
Quote:

Coils and Icm from a 2200 (98 and newer) cavalier or sunfire

Part of the wiring harness with atleast 12" of wire and the bracket

Take the old cover, Icm, coils off and store them.

Cut off the old plug that went into the 2.4 Icm and attach the 2200 harness to it.

The colors are all the same and there are about 10 wires.

Hook up some spark plug wires and you are good to go.

So is it the pre 98 or 98+?

fast, reliable or cheap. choose two.
Tuesday, May 29, 2007 2:06 PM
98+ is the one I used.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 3:12 PM
Let me help on this subject. You do not need the MSD adapter boxes unless you are going to use DIS-2. Two locals here in Columbus, Ohio are both running this setup without the adapter boxes. They cut the wires from the 2.4 ICM and put longer wires on and wired in the 2200 ICM. One had a little problem, but it ended up to be a bad ICM plate. Swapped out the ICM and no problems. One of the guys have been driving his car daily since the swap with no problems with better spark on the stock 2200 coils. The other upgrade to the MSD coils on the 2200 ICM plate with no problems. Also he is using the MSD wires from a V6 since they didn't have a 4 banger set at Jegs when he picked them up. I hope this helps. Also I have extra plates and the alum plate behind them with wires about 2-3" long. We just extend the wires instead of digging into the harness at the yard.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 5:56 PM
TRD Cav Fire wrote:Let me help on this subject. You do not need the MSD adapter boxes unless you are going to use DIS-2. Two locals here in Columbus, Ohio are both running this setup without the adapter boxes. They cut the wires from the 2.4 ICM and put longer wires on and wired in the 2200 ICM. One had a little problem, but it ended up to be a bad ICM plate. Swapped out the ICM and no problems. One of the guys have been driving his car daily since the swap with no problems with better spark on the stock 2200 coils. The other upgrade to the MSD coils on the 2200 ICM plate with no problems. Also he is using the MSD wires from a V6 since they didn't have a 4 banger set at Jegs when he picked them up. I hope this helps. Also I have extra plates and the alum plate behind them with wires about 2-3" long. We just extend the wires instead of digging into the harness at the yard.

I use the adapter boxes INSTEAD of the icm for my swap makes it TONS easier. If i use a 2.2 icm i gut it out and turn it into an adpater box of sorts.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 7:48 PM
Do you have any pic's of this box you are talkin' about? Cause I would like to see it.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 7:56 PM
Its the MSD interfaces to adapt the DIS 2 to the icm... i just found another good use for em i dont have any good pix of them from the side.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search