itb's - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
itb's
Monday, April 23, 2007 5:18 PM
I really want itb's for cavi 2.2. I have 2 grand will that cover the costs of a machine shop making them? What do I need to look into for throttle bodies?

Re: itb's
Monday, April 23, 2007 5:36 PM
search for skwirl he put hybusa t.b's on his cavy

www.rdracing.110mb.com
Monday, April 23, 2007 6:54 PM
Actually, I don't think he ever did. Go to http://www.homemadeturbo.com/tech_projects/itb/index.html for directions on how to make em yourself. If they can do it on a honda, you can do it to a cavalier.

Monday, April 23, 2007 7:02 PM
yea never finished the fab process

motorcycle throttle bodies will work, and can usually be found on ebay

there's pretty complicated mathematics to figure out your power increase and for what rpm you want it at, which takes into account the runner volume

for a 2200 it'd be a lil more interesting since the intake is on the firewall side

it'd be an awesome upgrade for an all motor car but is difficult to make without the help of an outside company like TWM induction

Monday, April 23, 2007 7:07 PM
Important question: why?

The $2K you already seem to have planned to spend could be spent on much more effective mods to get power out of the motor. Spending it on an individual throttle body setup does nothing but give you a support mod that on it's own is going to give you a marginal increase in power, if any increase at all. Quite a few people here have put together intercooled turbo kits for considerably less and run them on stock intakes and throttle bodies with no detrimental effects.

If you want to be able to lift your hood and say "hey, look at that!" then an ITB is for you. If you want bang for your buck, stay far, far away from it.

09:f9:11:02:9d:74:e3:5b:d8:41:56:c5:63

Monday, April 23, 2007 7:37 PM
DaFlyinSkwirl (PJ) - BPU++ wrote:yea never finished the fab process

motorcycle throttle bodies will work, and can usually be found on ebay

there's pretty complicated mathematics to figure out your power increase and for what rpm you want it at, which takes into account the runner volume

for a 2200 it'd be a lil more interesting since the intake is on the firewall side

it'd be an awesome upgrade for an all motor car but is difficult to make without the help of an outside company like TWM induction

PJ is right, there is much more to it than just throwing them together. Eurospec m3's came with factory itb's, and the runners are designed for perfect sound resonance and intake pulse. A lot of enineering went into them. But if you have the time and money I say go for it.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 3:08 AM
Unless you have over 10:1 compression, a built valvetrain, and a cam wild enough to make use of that valvetrain, ITB's will do very little for you. Don't get me wrong, I love ITB's, but they are simply not practical for a 2200 engine until that motor has had WAY more than $2k worth of work put into it.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search