More compression with milling the Head - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
More compression with milling the Head
Monday, April 23, 2007 1:31 PM
So summers almost here and im still researching a few more things to do to my engine while im rebuilding it. I know i can up the compression by milling the head. My questions are with the combo of the secret cams, header, 56mm T.B, and H.O mani should i mill the head? if so how far should i go with out valve troubles and if any, what other problems might i face?

www.rdracing.110mb.com

Re: More compression with milling the Head
Monday, April 23, 2007 3:11 PM
Well.. I don't really know off hand how high the head sits on the block so, I can't say how much you could effectively mill.. But I do know that you would only pick up about .3 compression I believe. It's been awhile (to me) since it's been talked about.

Why not consider the 086 head swap? That'll net you a gain of +1.6~ CR (depending on the pistons, head gasket, and head milling).

So if you run a 9.5 CR you would be up around 11.05-ish

I'm getting things together for the head swap.. If you're interested I would suggest reading through the 086 Swap Questions.. thread.

-Matt

-------------------------------------------------------

Monday, April 23, 2007 3:58 PM
Sorry i didnt mention i have a 97 2.4L Z. the 86 head swap doesnt sound to bad, but cash is kind of low now cuz im in college and that sounds like alot of compression to run plus i dont have HPT to tune my car afterwards and was just looking for a cheaper and easier way to up the compression alittle. I havent looked into it much but i can guess you can mill the head around .020-.030 before you run into clearance problems, but im just guessing.
If anyone know how much i could mill the head that would be great to know.

www.rdracing.110mb.com
Monday, April 23, 2007 4:20 PM
Remember that you lose tension in the timing belt when you mill the head. You need to worry about more than valve clearence.

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Monday, April 23, 2007 4:27 PM
thanks i didnt think about that, but is .020-.030 really going to make the timing belt that much looser?... has anyone ever done this, what else did they run into, and how much did they mill?

www.rdracing.110mb.com
Monday, April 23, 2007 7:45 PM
0.020 is over limit. IIRC the 2.3 head can ONLY be mill 0.010. Over that you get timing chain problem. Also, you'll waste your money trying to get higher compression from a smaller CC. Do it right or don't do it. Get pistons.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Monday, April 23, 2007 8:25 PM
ok... so what kind of piston should i go with or is it cheaper to just do the 86 head swap?

www.rdracing.110mb.com
Tuesday, April 24, 2007 6:46 AM
086 head swap. that's what i'm doing. totally worth is and you see remarkable gains. there are many thread about it and i'm making a stickie soon. Keep posted.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 8:44 AM
You don't really need pistons.. Infact.. If your bottom end is in good shape, I would advise against changing it cause that would require a lot more work and money.. Do the top end, then you can mess with the bottom end later, if you so desire.

-Matt

-------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 5:12 PM
Thanks for all the info. im going to look into doing the head swap and maybe do it while im rebuilding the engine. One question though will the secret cams i have work with the 086 head?

www.rdracing.110mb.com
Tuesday, April 24, 2007 9:11 PM
Robert Williams wrote:Thanks for all the info. im going to look into doing the head swap and maybe do it while im rebuilding the engine. One question though will the secret cams i have work with the 086 head?

probably

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search