mani swap, EGR ? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
mani swap, EGR ?
Thursday, April 19, 2007 7:38 PM
Did the mani swap and had a few problems.I made my own block-off plate out of gavanized alum. and didn't use a gasket and when re-using the egr bolts for the housing one broke in the hole and the other two I can't get tightened down all the way,I'm sure I need shorter bolts or the gasket right?But the only gasket I had was on the housing where the egr bolts to.Started the car up and it was making a loud noise which was where I had the plate but idle was fine and car didn't throw the cel and ets off light until a few min. later.Can I drive the car with the plate not fully sealed?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, April 19, 2007 8:26 PM

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"

Re: mani swap, EGR ?
Thursday, April 19, 2007 8:52 PM
bump

Friday, April 20, 2007 6:26 AM
wow... ok. ok ok ok...

yes, u DEF. need shorter bolts, i did the same exact thing a month ago... broke a bolt off in the head cuz it was bottoming out and i was a dumbass and didnt realize it. i used the GM egr delete plate and a gasket and they were still like 1/4" too long.

i found some really nice alan head style bolts at lowes for it, they even look better then the stock alan's do. they are quite a bit shorter and worked great, but getting that broken bolt out was a BIOTCH lemme tell ya!!!

DO NOT drive that vehicle without the proper parts in place, go to ANY parts store and get the head-to-plate gasket, its like $3. hell, you could have just went to GM and bought the egr delete plate and gasket for under $10.00!!!!

now is the time to send your VCM off to get re-programmed and have the EGayR removed, i did this and my car runs great-no CEL'S no 'trac off" works flawlessly!!

and in all honesty, i wouldnt use that custom plate you made, just go and order the right one for the job, this isnt something you want to risk screwing up, get it done the right way the first time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, April 20, 2007 6:29 AM

Friday, April 20, 2007 9:15 AM
Thanks buddy,I appreciate all the good info you have given me,I will get that stuff TODAY!!! I miss drivin' my car

Friday, April 20, 2007 9:24 AM
hpt for the codes man...

is there a part number for the egr blockoff plate?

Friday, April 20, 2007 9:51 AM
Liquidplamsa wrote:Is there a part number for the egr blockoff plate?

i dont have it-no... but all u gotta do is go down to gm and say you need an egr block off plate for any year 2.4 in any car and it will come up, i have no idea what car if any the block off was even used on, the newer 00+ cars dont have the EGR, but they dont use the block off either... they dont need it as their exhuast mani's dont have the 'channel' in the flange to go the lil hole in the head. if you get a 00+ manifold or header you dont even need the block off plate.

i think it looks gaudy w/o it though-even if its not needed i think ppl should use it just to clean up the holes in the head.

Friday, April 20, 2007 10:02 AM
now is using only the block off plate bad for exhaust flow, on a pre-00 cars due to the exhaust manifold still trying to flow gas through the head.

so wouldnt getting a 00+ header be better

Friday, April 20, 2007 10:10 AM
ok guys just called two Gm dealers and the pn# I got off the ORG.#24575503 which is the block-off plate doesn't even register,they said they don't have it and can't order it,they have the gasket,not in stock,but that's all they said they could get.What now?

Friday, April 20, 2007 11:26 AM
update: I called another dealer and they do not have it(plate) and even looked in the GM Performance catalog and do not carry it for 4cyls.I called Hardcore Racing and they have one for a 2.4 supercharged but that's it,I don't know if that'll work.I also tried to take out another egr bolt and THAT one broke off too.Should I just pay to have a plate fabricrated and have it welded on??I'm lost and need this car for this weekend.

Friday, April 20, 2007 11:41 AM
^^ did you try asking them to search for a Egr block off plate for a 2.4

Friday, April 20, 2007 11:49 AM
www.gmpartsdirect.com

block-off plate part #:24575505

Gasket#:24573947

Friday, April 20, 2007 12:31 PM
Liquidplamsa wrote:now is using only the block off plate bad for exhaust flow, on a pre-00 cars due to the exhaust manifold still trying to flow gas through the head.

so wouldnt getting a 00+ header be better

no worse than having it go through the egr valve i would think... i doubt you would notice any difference by putting a 00+ manifold/header on, but it would be best since your doing away with the system.

biggs: if you cant find one, lemme know... i'll buy one from my dealer for ya as i know for a fact the gasket and plate are $6.00 for me.

you would just have to send me the money and i can send it to ya in an envelope!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, April 20, 2007 12:34 PM

Friday, April 20, 2007 12:53 PM
thanks Bp I did have the wrong # ,cost is $4.54 for just the plate and $10 for the gasket and thanks zyaaa I may do that ,pm me your Paypal address,I took the mani back out and am trying to drill out those holes(PITA) I wanna get this done right.

Friday, April 20, 2007 3:15 PM
Glad to see people doing things the write way!

Friday, April 20, 2007 3:56 PM
no prob. man....good luck

Friday, April 20, 2007 11:13 PM
Just so you know - I do believe GM came up with the block off plate because midway thru 99 they switched to no EGR but had all these bloody heads cast already so they machined a block off plate rather than tossing the old EGR heads.

Makes sense to me anyway.

As Brad said, block off plate, gasket, shorter bolts and you're golden.

For the EGR, HPTUNERS can eliminate that code for you and you're in business. Contact SHIFTED.

Brad, jump on MSN one day I wanna hear how things are workin' out.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Saturday, April 21, 2007 1:02 AM
lol chris... every 2.4 head is cast to be used with the EGayR, they all have the hole through both sides... the difference is in the manifold not having the channel or not

but yeah, everything is going rather well with my car, just gotta get the yellows and sportlnes on and its drivable!

ill get on msn and hit ya up soon!

Saturday, April 21, 2007 9:16 AM
I ordered it and should be here Tuesday,zyaaa what size bolts did you use with the plate?I know the stock size on mine is 6mm allen 1 1/2 long so I measured and figure their about a 1/4 too long.Also I did get ahold of Ron but he says he has been pretty busy so I might have to wait on getting the vcm re-programed plus I need a job,my unemplyment is about ready to run out.Thanks all for the info

Saturday, April 21, 2007 9:30 AM
the bolts i used were alan's, i would say they are about 3/4" long, could be longer but i didnt measure them lol... i wouldnt go much longer than that tho, the plate doesnt need real long bolts like the heavy-ass egr bracket does.

yeah man, get a job... until then, if i were you i wouldnt be buyn car parts, save ur money up and when u get a job, you'll be golden!

and yes, ron is a pretty bizy guy, i was real lucky to have him do mine at all.

Saturday, April 21, 2007 9:48 AM
lol yeah that's why I shop in the junkyard and on the classifieds,I'll get a few diff. size bolts.Luckily I have Mid State Bolt & Screw right by me and they have every kind of nut, bolt, and screw you can think of,gotta' get this done the weather is too nice to let a vert. sit in the garage

Saturday, April 21, 2007 2:14 PM
did a quick temp job for now on the egr and have a leak in the brake booster line which is causing a high idle but am fixing that now.Took a test drive and the sound from the 2.3 mani is cool but different for sure

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, April 21, 2007 2:19 PM

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search