Performance Mods for a 2.4L Twin Cam - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Performance Mods for a 2.4L Twin Cam
Thursday, March 29, 2007 10:21 PM
I've had my 2000 Sunfire GT for quite a while(about 5 years ), and double to mileage on it - to about 84,000 miles. The motor is natural the 2.4L Twin Cam, mated to the 4T40-E auto tranny.

So far the only performance mod - i've done is a short ram intake. The car still hits 0-60 in the low 8 sec range, with 1/4s in the mid 16 sec range.

I love the car - as it's done very well as a regular driver. fairly good performance for a stock motor.

I presently have plans to keep it for the forseeable future - the time in coming to seriously consider major restoration projects. To get the car back into near new / or better than new shape.

My eventual goal in to build the Sunfire - into what I feel it should been all along - the little brother to the Trans Am. Meaning a pretty bad little sport compact - that is very capable of not only holding it own the the new breed of Ricers, but also the Delta replacements.

The Horsepower goal is around 200 hp at the crank, possible slightly higher. Also the motor will remain N/A, no Boost or N.O.S.

Any tips would help.

I presently considering - larger TB, Performance Dual Exhaust, Ram Air Kit, Electrical system Upgrade, Fuel system Upgrade, Port & Polish of Heads, Mild Performance Cams kit. Or possible a completely rebuilt performance engine.

Re: Performance Mods for a 2.4L Twin Cam
Thursday, March 29, 2007 10:57 PM
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=48&i=9399&t=9399

Check out the fastest NA 2.3/2.4 people's registrys

http://www.quad4forums.com/ <--- Great Place to Research

A NA 2.4 Build ------ >http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=46&i=266055&t=266055

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/importkilla32/Bullit.JPG
Friday, March 30, 2007 5:39 AM
first off... a 2.4 only has one HEAD...not 2.

these would be a great start and would put you close to 200hp at the crank:

hp tuners
secret cams
58mm TB
header-full 2.5" mandrel bent exhuast w/ a good open flow muffler
TTR upper mount
RK Sport lower mount
aluminum crank pulley

Friday, March 30, 2007 8:34 AM
I also recomend the HO intake manifold, although there are no proven dyno results my butt dyno says its definitely helpful.

Friday, March 30, 2007 10:21 AM
let not forget LZM cam stage one and two

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Friday, March 30, 2007 11:04 AM
hp tuners
secret cams
58mm TB
header-full 2.5" mandrel bent exhuast w/ a good open flow muffler
TTR upper mount
RK Sport lower mount
aluminum crank pulley

Good list, add and AEM intake, and we will be coming out VERY soon with an all aulimum lower engine mount, that will hardly give any vibs! You guys will be amazed!

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Friday, March 30, 2007 1:38 PM
99redz24 wrote:let not forget LZM cam stage one and two

since when does LZM make 2.4 cams??

Turbo Tech Racing wrote:add and AEM intake

kj1168 wrote:So far the only performance mod - i've done is a short ram intake.

lol... aaron he already has an intake thats why i didnt include it mmmmmmmm TTR aluminum lower mount mmmmmmm

Friday, March 30, 2007 4:19 PM
Yep - got the Air Intake, already.

I'll likely go with the TB & intake manifold next - What the largest made for the 3rd gen Cav/Sunfire?

I take the 56-58mm is generally recommended for mild performance upgrades?

Like I stated earlier - I eventually plan on have the engine rebuilt.

Which when i do - would be a perfect time to add internal performance parts like cams, valves, springs, pistons, heads port & polished.

Also does any one know of possible "stoker" crankshafts for the 2.4L?
Friday, March 30, 2007 4:24 PM
For 200 crank hp, just get the GMPP Supercharger kit and be done with it. I know you said no boost but its the cheapest, most reliable, easiest, and most fool proof way to get the power you desire period.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Friday, March 30, 2007 5:24 PM
Friday, March 30, 2007 6:37 PM
200 to the crank on the LD9 would have to be a pretty sick build, well...above average. Like Skillz said, put on the GM supercharger, get 200 to the wheels, and still be VERY reliable with a nice powerband. You will enjoy the extra power, and enjoy not having it sit in your garage broken down every other week.

Friday, March 30, 2007 8:17 PM
Very Nice - build Skilz.

with 1/4 miles in the low 13's @ 110 mph. I pretty much guessing the only cars on the road that you have worry about - is C6 vettes, Shelby GT 500, Vipers, & 911 Turbos.

I'm correcting guess your Cavy has a 2.6 stoker motor with N.O.S. and Turbo. Say around 325-350 hp. Just wonder if it's a manual or auto?

My big drawbacks for not going with Boost - is I'm wondering how that will affect the stock tranny (4T40-E). Which most sources I've seen is rated to handle about 190 ft-lb at the crank.

Also I didn't think the GM Supercharger would work with automatics.
Friday, March 30, 2007 9:27 PM
z yaaaa wrote:

since for awhile now

Saturday, March 31, 2007 5:57 AM
kj1168 wrote:Very Nice - build Skilz.

with 1/4 miles in the low 13's @ 110 mph. I pretty much guessing the only cars on the road that you have worry about - is C6 vettes, Shelby GT 500, Vipers, & 911 Turbos.

I'm correcting guess your Cavy has a 2.6 stoker motor with N.O.S. and Turbo. Say around 325-350 hp. Just wonder if it's a manual or auto?

My big drawbacks for not going with Boost - is I'm wondering how that will affect the stock tranny (4T40-E). Which most sources I've seen is rated to handle about 190 ft-lb at the crank.

Also I didn't think the GM Supercharger would work with automatics.

Thanks kj1168.

My 1/4 mile time is not a testament of how fast my car is, only how fast it was.

My Cavy is still a 2.4, and has no nitrous. It has the same trans you have.

With the power goals you have, your trans will be 100% fine.

The GM Supercharger does work on automatics

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile

Saturday, March 31, 2007 7:49 AM
99redz24 wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:

since for awhile now

wow... thats news to me!! they aint that much bigger then the secret cams though... which sucks, but oh well price u gotta pay for aftermarket cams.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, March 31, 2007 8:53 AM

Saturday, March 31, 2007 2:54 PM
z yaaaa wrote:
99redz24 wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:

since for awhile now

wow... thats news to me!! they aint that much bigger then the secret cams though... which sucks, but oh well price u gotta pay for aftermarket cams.

Any higher lift and they won't fit.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile

Saturday, March 31, 2007 3:28 PM
Quote:

Good list, add and AEM intake, and we will be coming out VERY soon with an all aulimum lower engine mount, that will hardly give any vibs! You guys will be amazed!

No we won't.
All your stuff is always kick azz.
So we'd be amazed only if it came out less than amazing...which it won't.

But,
For anything folks are doing on here,
The HP Tuners tune seems to be THE way to get the most of any mods done to the car.

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Saturday, March 31, 2007 4:30 PM
z yaaaa wrote:
99redz24 wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:

since for awhile now

true, but since i cant find any secret cams i just might go with them

Saturday, March 31, 2007 8:01 PM
Ok, after looking over the specs for the GM Supercharger for the 2.4 Twin Cam..

50 hp & 40 ft-lb -claimed, I can see how you get to 200 . Also since the Dealership reprograms the VCM - I can see how it's possible for the 4t40-E to handle the torque.

I just wondering with the Short Ram, larger TB (58-60mm) , and a performance cat-back Dual Exhaust - what kind of Hp & torque would I be look at. My guess is around 210-215 hp, and about 205-210 ft-lbs.

Also what would happen if i eventually decide to rebuild the engine - with mild performance parts - pistons, cams, values,springs & port & polish the head.

I'm guessing I would need to performance rebuild on the tranny.

As I'm guess i would be looking at horsepower/torque numbers like this - 250-260 Hp, 230-240 ft-lbs.
Saturday, March 31, 2007 9:27 PM
kj1168 wrote:Ok, after looking over the specs for the GM Supercharger for the 2.4 Twin Cam..

50 hp & 40 ft-lb -claimed, I can see how you get to 200 . Also since the Dealership reprograms the VCM - I can see how it's possible for the 4t40-E to handle the torque.

I just wondering with the Short Ram, larger TB (58-60mm) , and a performance cat-back Dual Exhaust - what kind of Hp & torque would I be look at. My guess is around 210-215 hp, and about 205-210 ft-lbs.

Also what would happen if i eventually decide to rebuild the engine - with mild performance parts - pistons, cams, values,springs & port & polish the head.

I'm guessing I would need to performance rebuild on the tranny.

As I'm guess i would be looking at horsepower/torque numbers like this - 250-260 Hp, 230-240 ft-lbs.

if that is power and torque at the crank, then maybe. You'll never get much out of the m45 charger, though. Skillz has posted several times of a completely built motor running the GM supercharger that only made it to about 230 whp. If you want higher horsepower, get someone to make you an intake manifold to fit an m62 or m90...or scrap the super idea and run a turbo.

Also...I hope you know that dual exhaust means nothing on an inline motor. It is purely cosmetic. And if you are modding the exhaust, do from the header/exhaust manifold back...not just the cat-back...It will net you the most gains that way.

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.
Saturday, March 31, 2007 10:34 PM
Quote:

if that is power and torque at the crank, then maybe. You'll never get much out of the m45 charger, though. Skillz has posted several times of a completely built motor running the GM supercharger that only made it to about 230 whp.

Well - 230 whp would translate to roughly about 270-280 HP at the crank.

Which would make sense - if a completely rebuilt - stock displacement 2.4L TwinCam can possible make about 220-225 at the crank - with racing heads, & cams.

Since I was originally talking about a build up only to about 200hp, I tend to figure the build with the GM supercharger will only net about 250 at the crank. Maybe about 200-205 at the wheels.

If I wanted to run higher boost (which I don't), I won't go with the turbo, but a procharger instead.

My understanding is there's a kit for J-body 2.4L twincams. They usually produce about a 40% increase in HP. So about 60 Hp for a bone stock motor, or about 90hp in a completely built Stock displacement motor..

That means - a stock 2.4L build up, with the procharger, could possible generate 300-310hp at the crank (about 240-250 whp) .

Sunday, April 01, 2007 7:42 PM
Still I'm wonder how much HP can the 2.4: Twin Cam make, witout boost or Nitrous?

I've been hearing some pretty fantastic numbers - 225 whp, 230 whp, even 250 whp.

What would be required for these type of build ups?
Sunday, April 01, 2007 7:57 PM
kj1168 wrote:Still I'm wonder how much HP can the 2.4: Twin Cam make, witout boost or Nitrous?

I've been hearing some pretty fantastic numbers - 225 whp, 230 whp, even 250 whp.

What would be required for these type of build ups?

Internal work and $$$$

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.
Monday, April 02, 2007 12:24 AM
Yeah - I know internal work costs.

That not what I asked.

But I was looking for specifics - port/polish, cams, valves, springs, pistons,TB,stroker kits etc.
Monday, April 02, 2007 6:30 AM
99redz24 wrote:true, but since i cant find any secret cams i just might go with them

how hard are u looking?!!? www.car-part.com is your friend!

or go to ANY local auto parts store (ie, o'rielly's, napa, autozone, advance) and you can buy the exhuast cam for less than $120.00, just gotta be sure to buy the new lifters as well.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search