Alternator pulley Idea - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Alternator pulley Idea
Thursday, March 29, 2007 12:38 PM
Soo I have been reading/thinking about undersize alternator pullies. (including the other thread but I didnt wanna jack it) From experience I know that an alternator pulley from an 89 chevy truck w/350 will bolt onto a 2.2 alternator. So Is the 2.4 pulley the same as the 2.2? Does anyone know what the bore daimeter is on the 2.4 pulley? There are several different options: .642, .644, .650, and .668 all smallblock pulleys.

I was thinking this would go well with my Bomz pulley and system:

March pulley

Thanks for any help.

Re: Alternator pulley Idea
Thursday, March 29, 2007 12:50 PM
I just realized that is a 6 groove pulley and the 2.4 is a 5 groove pulley...

Thursday, March 29, 2007 1:00 PM
The bore inner diameter is .672"-.668" Most I have came to find are .672", but I have run into a few .668. Like the one on my cavalier.
What year is the .668" inner bore from? I would like to know PLEASE, well Eric would like to know probably.

Did some more research....
The pulley you listed is probably the SMALLEST diameter pulley you are going to get. Period. Do you know the bore size?
Isn't this pulley 6 ribs, and we need a 5 ribbed design.
Also all the ones on March performance website are 6 ribbed design. I could bore one bigger....

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, March 29, 2007 1:12 PM
Yeah thats the smallest I could find...then I realized that it was a 6 ribbed design. The bore diameter is .650. I cant seem to find a 5 rib performance pulley...but the search will go on. Thanks for the info on the diameter, I have no clue what year the .668 is from but if I find out I will let you know. I never considered boring it out to fit so thanks for that idea too.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 1:38 PM
i dont understand...?? why do you want a smaller alt. pulley? it seems to me your car is more performance oriented, by putting a smaller alt. pulley on it will make it spin faster.. in turn taking more juice to get it to go... right?

if what you want it more alt. output, take ur alt. to a local shop and see if they will rebuild it up to more amperage, thats what i did anyway. im using the AEM alt. pulley and an rsm UD crank pulley, so mine is seeing pretty close to stock rpm range in terms of charging etc.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 1:51 PM
Well yes that is my main issue...I dont want to have crappy amperage. I have a system and wouldnt wanna kill my battery . Plus I was under the impression that it was decided it was the light wieght design of the pulley that gave most of the power rather than the underdrvin part...I was reading posts and somwhere I think i saw -MD-LD9 has dyno results with his stock sized lightened pullies that show nice gains. Its all just ideas for the time being, perhaps I will see about beefing up the alternators output.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 2:36 PM
ive got a 6rib pulley from a chevy truck 96-99 year range , and it fit with no mods to the cavalier alt

there is nothing wrong with a 6rib other than 1 rib doesnt get used

Thursday, March 29, 2007 7:02 PM
cool...thats an option I hadnt thought about.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 7:46 PM
[quote=97trd(???™)]ive got a 6rib pulley from a chevy truck 96-99 year range , and it fit with no mods to the cavalier alt

there is nothing wrong with a 6rib other than 1 rib doesnt get used

and no problems with it slipping?

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.
Thursday, March 29, 2007 7:55 PM
I was kind athinkin that too...

Friday, March 30, 2007 5:44 AM
well, i know its overdriven... but i know for a fact that the AEM alt. pulley is lighter than the stock pulley ...and its something like 2 times as large.

BUT, if your going to put that alt. pulley on, your going to need to put on a smaller crank pulley to compensate for it.

Friday, March 30, 2007 8:24 AM
I have a Bomz underdrive pulley (not yet installed) I got it cheap. But it is tiny compaired to the stock pulley, It definitely has me worried about charging issues.

Friday, March 30, 2007 1:42 PM
Zs Z wrote:I have a Bomz underdrive pulley (not yet installed) I got it cheap. But it is tiny compaired to the stock pulley, It definitely has me worried about charging issues.

get an AEM alt. pulley and you'll be fine.

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 10:09 AM
I found a set of 5 groove aluminum alternator pulleys on ebay 1 3/4" 2 1/4" and one 2 1/2" all with inner bore diameters of .670...won em for $10 to the door

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 10:45 AM
Zs Z could you say where you got them?...beside just ebay.
Listing name... or search criteria.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, April 03, 2007 12:46 PM
z yaaaa wrote:
Zs Z wrote:I have a Bomz underdrive pulley (not yet installed) I got it cheap. But it is tiny compaired to the stock pulley, It definitely has me worried about charging issues.

An AEM alt. pulley will only worsen his problem....a larger pulley on the alt with an underdrive crank pulley will slow down the alternator even further, thats not what he wants to do.
Tuesday, April 03, 2007 1:19 PM
The sellers name is jmac851 listed under "Three 5 groove serpentine belt alternator pulleys" I just did a search. He has alot of pulleys listed but I dont think he is a store. And after looking again it doesnt say aluminum like I thought but the pics look like they are. I think im only keeping the 1 3/4" one n probably let the other 2 go but Im not sure yet. I still havent recieved them.

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 3:50 PM
Joshua Dearman wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:

An AEM alt. pulley will only worsen his problem....a larger pulley on the alt with an underdrive crank pulley will slow down the alternator even further, thats not what he wants to do.

ok now im really confused. the aem is sposta be used in unisen with the UR underdrive crank pulley, making the alt spin exactly like it would stock... right? or is that backwards and the alt will actually spin even slower? to me it doesnt make any sense

i was under the impression that this was so. please someone elaborate.

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 4:01 PM
OK i think i figured it out.

smaller pulley=faster spinning
bigger pulley=slower spinning

put an underdrive crank pulley on... all the accessories actually spin faster. add an aem alt. pulley to the alternator and it spins at least CLOSE to the stock speed.

so, with you putting on your bomz underdrive pulley it will actually INCREASE the speed at which the alternator spins.

i hope this is right, because any other way makes absoltly no sense to me.

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 8:41 PM
Its the opposite of what you are saying...If the crank pulley is smaller it is moving less belt per revoloution so the accessories are moving slower. This is where part of the power is supposed to come from. With the AEM alternator pulley it moves the alternator even slower.

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 6:39 AM
Zs Z wrote:Its the opposite of what you are saying...If the crank pulley is smaller it is moving less belt per revoloution so the accessories are moving slower. This is where part of the power is supposed to come from. With the AEM alternator pulley it moves the alternator even slower.

hmmm, yeah the way u put that actually made sense. thanks. too bad i'll pry have to give up my AEM alt pulley now

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 7:40 AM
For pulley speed, It depends on what is the drive and what is being driven.

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 8:24 AM
think of it as putting smaller tires on your car, your going the same speed but the tires are spinning faster, so zyaaa is right.

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 8:31 AM
CrAzY Z24 wrote:think of it as putting smaller tires on your car, your going the same speed but the tires are spinning faster, so zyaaa is right.

huh? im really just going to say screw it. im gonna put a volt meter on my car today and see what it puts out.

anybody know what a stock 2.4'd cavalier should be putting out for voltage?

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 8:51 AM
CrAzY Z24 wrote:think of it as putting smaller tires on your car, your going the same speed but the tires are spinning faster, so zyaaa is right.

Haha but the same car with bigger tires at the same rpm will be moving faster (more mph) because the bigger the tire the more distance the tire moves with every revoloution. For example take a quarter and roll it one revoloution and then take a penny and do the same. The penny can go almost 2 revoloutions in the same space a quarter can go one. Now suppose the the quarter is you crank pulley and the penny is the alternator pulley . Now you make the penny into a nickel and try the same little rolling experiment and you will see that with every crank revoloution with a bigger alternator pulley you will have less revoloutions per crank revoloution. Hope that helps make sense

zyaaaa let me know what shows up with your voltage...I dont know what stock is supposed to be. But with your alternator turned up you may have the best of both worlds going on there. Less work on the motor to turn the alternator and more output at the same time.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search