2.2 liter engine help - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 liter engine help
Sunday, March 25, 2007 9:03 PM
I have a 1996 Pontiac Sunfire 2.2 liter OHV. One of my cylinders is scratched. I have two questions. Ok i was wondering if it would be cheaper our more expenses to get it bored out our put sleeves in it. How would eather one affect my horse power ? And after i do eather of those would i have to do any thing else besides buy new pistons and rods? Thanks.

Re: 2.2 liter engine help
Monday, March 26, 2007 7:53 PM
Ethan Whitt wrote: would be cheaper our more expenses to get it bored out our put sleeves in it.

Sleaving is definitely more expensive. If the scratch is deeper than can be bored out, you would be just as well off getting a block from a salvage yard.

Ethan Whitt wrote: How would eather one affect my horse power ?

Either would atleast restore any power lost to wear and tear. Any amount of overbore would add to your total displacement and would gain some power, but most would just be restored power.

Ethan Whitt wrote: after i do eather of those would i have to do any thing else besides buy new pistons and rods?

With any over bore you would need the pistons for the shop doing the work to get the precise measurements for an accurate bore. If your doing a stock or mild rebuild, then the shop can resize and balance the stock connecting rods. If you are going to boost, run nitrous or high rpm, then aftermarket rods would be reccomended, otherwise the stock rods would be fine. You would need a full set of gaskets, rings, bearings, oil pump and pick-up, a timing set with tensioner and head bolts. While the engine is torn down, go ahead and get a complete head job, if you want more performance, the get it ported and polished with the +1mm oversized valves.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 8:15 AM
Could you give me a estimated price for all of that above plus labor and without labor. I have a budget of about 1500 - 2000 dollars I plan on running high RPM's by the way to. Thanks.
Thursday, March 29, 2007 9:19 AM
Ethan Whitt wrote:Could you give me a estimated price for all of that above plus labor and without labor. I have a budget of about 1500 - 2000 dollars I plan on running high RPM's by the way to. Thanks.

best bet for an estimate is to call around to different places and ask them

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search