2.4 ecotec - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4 ecotec
Tuesday, March 27, 2007 9:11 AM
This is gonna be my new little project but i dont really know if it will work. Im going to take the engine and trans out of a Chevy HHR. It has a 2.4 ecotec engine. The whole reason i want to do this is to be the first 2.4 ecotec cavalier.
C&C needed

13.1 @ 115

Re: 2.4 ecotec
Tuesday, March 27, 2007 11:25 AM
sweet, what do those engines make stock?

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 11:30 AM
Shawn McKenzie wrote:sweet, what do those engines make stock?

170hp

mike-i think it would be tits if you could pull it off, ive been wanting to see a new VVT 2.4 in a cav... but DAYYYYYM the amount of work would be a worldy undertaking to say the least.

i mean, you would need to get the ENTIRE wiring throughout the car etc etc, imo i think it would be a nightmare. but i garentee you its possible with enough time, money, and patience.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 12:34 PM
good luck. and take pics of the install

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Tuesday, March 27, 2007 3:23 PM
YOU DO NOT ALWAYS NEED TO REWIRE THE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate hearing this on this forum. Needing to rewire should be your LAST choice.

Depending on how much of the 2.4 Eco you want to use, it will be more and more difficult. You'll need the IM, TB, Oil Pan, Top mount and bracket at least from the 2.2 Eco. Not sure about the teeth on the flywheel if it is different from the F23 from J's. Might have to check if the flywheel/clutch can be used from the 2.2 Eco as well with the normal trans with the 2.2 Eco.

If I were to do this I'd use the 2.2 Head just to avoid the VVT aspect of this. BUT seeing as you want to, you may be able to use one of the programmable outputs on a HPT Pro box to actuate the valve you need. Just an idea to throw out there.

Also the crank timing is not the same as our Ecu's require. An external timing setup WILL be needed if you don't want to go about the "swap everything and your brother" method. here is a link to one that may be able to be used as it would supply the 7x style timing our Ecu's want.

http://60degreev6.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=42

Running a MSD Cam sync and wires may also simplify the ignition aspect of the swap. Just some ideas. The things I listed apply to the 2.0S/C, but they are very similar. You can tell I've been looking into this

Sven you totally quarterloafed your computer..
Tuesday, March 27, 2007 3:34 PM
they have a 2.4 in the cobalt ss and it looks similair to my 2.4 cavalier motor do you think it should just fit in place?

-1999 Cavalier Z24-
Tuesday, March 27, 2007 3:41 PM
$cavman$ wrote:they have a 2.4 in the cobalt ss and it looks similair to my 2.4 cavalier motor do you think it should just fit in place?

NO. It is way different.. the 2.4 Eco has more in common with the 2.2 Eco than your 2.4 TC.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 3:44 PM
yea well will it still fit directly in place?

-1999 Cavalier Z24-
Tuesday, March 27, 2007 3:51 PM
Technically yes, the engine will "fit" in a J-body engine bay. BUT it will not bolt to your trans, will not directly even bolt to your subframe and body like your 2.4 does. To swap this in place of a 2.4TC (which im assuming you have) will be lots of work, lots of parts scavanging from a 2.2 Eco Cav, and a good amount of knowldge of how the Ecu really works. I think I have a decent grasp of what will be needed to swap a 2.2 Eco in my car. I think I know what is needed to swap a 2.0S/C Eco in my car. BUT I'm sure that I don't know nearly eveything I will need to know.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 8:40 AM
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 9:09 AM
We have a brand new 2.4 sitting at the shop now...wonder how long it will be before we swap that into a cavalier.

Quoth the Raven 'Nevermore
raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 9:22 AM
you'd have to use the ECU from the HHR. an ECU from a j-body reflashed to the L61 ('02 to '05 Eco) will not work due to the different reluctor wheels used on the L61's and the LE5's. that means you're probably not going to get rid of the VVT.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 11:39 AM
Couldn't you just rig up an MS to run it all, or can it not handle the VVT yet? IMO ms would be the cheepest and easiest solution. You keep your existing wireing harness and just let the ms run the engine.

Swap it in!

oh and on a side note, all ecotec's share history from the 2.4 tc and it's father, the 2.3L Q4, think about it, ps pump off intake cam, head flow direction, timing chain, balance shafts...

- Paul

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 1:58 PM
FReQ Z wrote:you'd have to use the ECU from the HHR. an ECU from a j-body reflashed to the L61 ('02 to '05 Eco) will not work due to the different reluctor wheels used on the L61's and the LE5's. that means you're probably not going to get rid of the VVT.

I HIGHLY doubt you need the HHR Ecu (or even an Eco J's ecu). As I stated in my first post you can use an external 7x style crank timing pickup. I even gave a link to one.. sheesh..

Also from what I have read (sorry I'm a nub and have no links handy) the VVT vavle is actuated by a standard 0-5v signal then oil pressure to actually do the work (Proto or others feel free to chime if I am way off base). This 0-5v signal can be made from a "black box" or as I stated earlier, from HPT Pro thingy. Assuming said info is correct it should be fairly easy task really.

So.. why exactly do you NEED the HHR Ecu, the conversion to CAN, and all the other car tearing apart work than you propose?

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 2:49 PM
basicly no one has done it because its very complicated swap

same as doing the 2.0 , a search would have revealed that to you

the motor will fit in the cav using parts from the 2.2 cav eco motor , and the cav eco trans or your choice , the rest gets harder from there

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 3:56 PM
Jrobz23 wrote:
FReQ Z wrote:you'd have to use the ECU from the HHR. an ECU from a j-body reflashed to the L61 ('02 to '05 Eco) will not work due to the different reluctor wheels used on the L61's and the LE5's. that means you're probably not going to get rid of the VVT.

I HIGHLY doubt you need the HHR Ecu (or even an Eco J's ecu). As I stated in my first post you can use an external 7x style crank timing pickup. I even gave a link to one.. sheesh..

Also from what I have read (sorry I'm a nub and have no links handy) the VVT vavle is actuated by a standard 0-5v signal then oil pressure to actually do the work (Proto or others feel free to chime if I am way off base). This 0-5v signal can be made from a "black box" or as I stated earlier, from HPT Pro thingy. Assuming said info is correct it should be fairly easy task really.

So.. why exactly do you NEED the HHR Ecu, the conversion to CAN, and all the other car tearing apart work than you propose?

because the 2.4 Eco uses a 58x reluctor wheel on the crank. it's not something you can easily modify, or even change out (from my understanding). so even a 7x external pickup isn't going to work. now, you could get the GMPP crank, but it's extremely pricey.

yes, you could use a standalone, but I was looking at this from an OBD-II standpoint.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Thursday, March 29, 2007 7:44 AM
sndsgood wrote:stay out of my garage mike lol

hey its not my fault that u gave me the idea lmao

13.1 @ 115
Thursday, March 29, 2007 7:47 AM
i also found a crashed HHr at my local junkyard. They want 1500 for the engine and the trans

13.1 @ 115
Thursday, March 29, 2007 8:15 AM
if you can get the rear piece above the liscent plate i'll pay u at the next meet. its chrome with the chevy badge in the middle.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Thursday, March 29, 2007 8:18 AM
The rear is smashed thats y the engine is fine lmao srry

13.1 @ 115
Thursday, March 29, 2007 4:35 PM
IMO a flying magnet 7x external setup would give you the crank timing you need. Anyway, hope you follow through with it. Hope I helped. PM if you want more info, although I posted most of what I've found about the swap. G/L

Thursday, March 29, 2007 5:23 PM
yea once i get some money i will be starting this thanx for all the help and when i start it i will put up another post of pics

13.1 @ 115
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search