Best ecotec N/A cams - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Best ecotec N/A cams
Tuesday, March 27, 2007 7:41 AM
What do you guys think are the best cams for a N/A ecotec engine? I want some extra power out of my engine but I do drive it 70 miles a day to school and back. I need a cam profile not to aggressive but worth the money. I was thinking either the Level Zero stage 1, or the Level Zero Triflows. My ultimate goal is to get something with a little more intake duration, put some 34lb injectors and a fpr and try to force some more fuel into the engine. As of now I have an intake, 62mm throttle, and complete exhaust with header. Ron(shifted), will be tuning my car in about two weeks so theres some more potential there. Let me know if I'm on my way to reaching 200hp N/A. Also anyone doing a grop purchase on either of these cams? Thanks

Re: Best ecotec N/A cams
Tuesday, March 27, 2007 7:51 AM
if its between stage1s and triflows, go triflow hands down

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 8:18 AM
I will be running these cams for a few weeks without hp tuners. Will the triflows give me any problem on a stock ecu.
Tuesday, March 27, 2007 8:23 AM
It shouldnt, but dont take my word for it because I dont have these cams installed in my car.

--------------------------------------
04 Cavalier LS Sport- Red with factory silver stripes.
16.186 @ 86.98mph
Tuesday, March 27, 2007 4:12 PM
I like the Comp Cams because of their history, but LZM has a good reputation with their cams too. Look at PJ and Owen.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 2:47 AM
I just installed my comp stage 2 cams earlier today. So far so good. I havent had any codes after driving 12 miles. The drivability is just as good as stock if you ask me and the low end is just as good too. It lopes at idle and I havent opened it up yet due to the break in period required. you should check these out.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 5:05 AM
Enthusiast wrote:I just installed my comp stage 2 cams earlier today. So far so good. I havent had any codes after driving 12 miles. The drivability is just as good as stock if you ask me and the low end is just as good too. It lopes at idle and I havent opened it up yet due to the break in period required. you should check these out.

Make sure you keep us, and especially me, updated on these cams. Your the first person to post about having them installed from the 5 sets I've sold. LOL.

Any chance you can post up the grind cards that came with the cams? I forgot to Xerox the ones with your cams so I could list them accurately on my site. If you have no clue what I'm talking about I'll get in touch with you later today.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 5:23 AM
Comp Cams FTW!!!

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 7:29 AM
how is the overlap on the come stage 2? I still want to keep low end torque. In response to Enthusiast are you running any fuel mods? Do you have a stock tune? Let us know how they are when you finally open it up!
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 4:53 PM
I finally opened it up. I am surprised how well these cams make power. its very linear with good low end and top end. after ~4half, 5ish, my eyes water with joy. I have HP tuners. so far i did some VE tunning and got my AFR to 12.5. trying to aim for 13 afr. I have no fuel mods though, but I have set my eyes on some 335cc injectors since my injector duty was at 98%. Regular driving is like stock if you ask me, I half throttled to pass a yellow light and it pulled well. Good thing about it is that I have no check engine light yet.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 5:30 PM
I got my comp stage II's in today. I can post up the info you want Ryne.

they will hopefully be in the motor and running in 2 weeks.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 11:09 PM
Comp Cams Stage II

intake
advance duration @ .006: 258
duration @ .050: 216
valve lift: .440

exhaust
advance duration @ .006: 262
duration @ .050: 218
valve lift: .436

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Thursday, March 29, 2007 8:29 AM
I want cams

Sunday, March 06, 2011 12:11 PM
Hey. Any opinions in comp stage 3 vs lzm triflows which is the same as jbp stage 3 correct? Which nets the most power, top and low? From what I've seen the specs are pretty much identical. However stage 3 from comp requires valvetrain upgrade not sure about triflows.
Which one is recommended the most?

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Sunday, March 06, 2011 12:31 PM
02ECOTECIMPORTKILLER wrote: However stage 3 from comp requires valvetrain upgrade not sure about triflows

all aftermarket cams, stage 1-3 etc etc need valve spring upgrades.

i personally am running stage 1s, peak power around 6800 rpm. i found em to be pretty good, seems to keep the power a little lower in the rpm range. mind you i only bought em because i got a great deal on them.

14.04 @ 101 ALLMOTOR
Sunday, March 06, 2011 10:29 PM
I plan on running comp stage 3s n/a while my new motor goes through its break in phase and I source together the rest of m62 kit, but as said, I would upgrade valvesprings with ANY aftermarket cam...I think the stock springs can barely handle stock cams, lol. Supertech 78lb springs are a good choice.

Monday, March 07, 2011 3:57 AM
Paul K wrote:
02ECOTECIMPORTKILLER wrote: However stage 3 from comp requires valvetrain upgrade not sure about triflows

all aftermarket cams, stage 1-3 etc etc need valve spring upgrades.
i personally am running stage 1s, peak power around 6800 rpm. i found em to be pretty good, seems to keep the power a little lower in the rpm range. mind you i only bought em because i got a great deal on them.
This. And like Matt said, the supertech 78lb kit is great.

As far as what profile to run, obviously any of the off the shelf grinds will yield a gain AFTER tuning, but what you want to consider is how much power your looking for (you mentioned 200 hp n/a), and where you want that power. Also, the more overlap, the more your economy is going to suffer. Some people don't care about that, and some do. You mentioned it's a daily driver so i'm assuming that's a concern. If it was a weekend car, not meant for daily driver duty, i'd say comp stage 3 all the way. If you want some extra kick while maintaining economy and decent low end, triflows or comp stage 1. Just my two cents...

Monday, March 07, 2011 4:54 AM
I am running a set of custom colt cams, close to comp stage 3 specs but better than stage 2's! I noticed a huge difference after tuning it. However, I don't have an upgraded valvetrain and I push the car to its 7.1 k limit all the time. Granted, the car has been driven maybe 800 miles since 2008! I have known about supertech and that is probably what I will buy. Its about $400 on ebay! I make power close to 7 K; I have new mods and will be re-tuning soon. If I pull and should pull power over 7 K then I would temporarily have to shift at 7 or 7100 rpm not matter how much more hp there is to pull in the rev band until I upgrade the valvesprings. Any idea what a shop to charge to install a valvetrain? I guess having to re-time the cams etc would also be part of the labor.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Monday, March 07, 2011 7:47 AM
Tri-Flow Grind
Primary Int-268, .418L
Sec Int-262, .417L
EXH-262, .417L

I cant say enough good things about these cams,Worked great on my N/A set up,And now really works well with the S/C setup,Power comes on strong from 3000RPM right up to 7100RPM..Cant wait to get the new head on the car and smaller pulley with ported housing..
Tuesday, March 08, 2011 4:03 AM
Stupid question, but where are people buying the triflow grind? LZM doesn't seem to carry them anymore.

Tuesday, March 08, 2011 4:14 AM
oldskool (eco meatcake) wrote:Stupid question, but where are people buying the triflow grind? LZM doesn't seem to carry them anymore.

try emailing Colt Cams, they were the ones doing the Tri flows for LZM.
http://www.coltcams.com/html/tri_flow_technology/index.cfm

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search