Removing all A/C components - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Removing all A/C components
Monday, March 26, 2007 1:53 PM
Im looking into removing all of the air condtioning components. I would like to know if I would get any errors because of this, if anyone else has done it, and if so, what gains (if anything) that you noticed.

I have: 1998 Chevy Cavalier Z24

Thanks to anyone who replies!!!!

-JV

-_98 Cavy Z24_-

Re: Removing all A/C components
Tuesday, March 27, 2007 4:34 AM
No errors at all. Just unplug everything, and zip tie and electrical tap the plug that goes to the a/c compressor. The gains are small at best.... it can't hurt performance. Also a few of us capped of the holes at the firewall. I found Cast iron plugs that where the correct tread at a local hardware store. Also everything weighs in at about 33lbs. To remove the condenser in front of the radiator, loosen the radiator support, and it should slide out through the top of the car with little effort. Also you can run a bypass pulley or a belt. I have run both, and either is fine.

Belt only no pulley. Advanced Autoparts. 345K5 belt.... Think you need a little longer belt size.
GM bypass pulley 2.4L p/n # 24574519, GM calls it all kinds of names.
Just because...GM bypass pulley 2.3L p/n # 22533199

Enjoy

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, March 27, 2007 5:30 AM
-MD- LD9 wrote:Also you can run a bypass pulley or a belt. I have run both, and either is fine.

Belt only no pulley. Advanced Autoparts. 345K5 belt....

wow... ive always wondered if you could run just a belt while deleting the AC compressor. care to elaborate on how to get the belt on there and which way it goes? lol

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 6:38 AM
Run the belt just like you would with the ac compressor, just bypass the compressor, belt runs on same side off all the remaining pulleys. I could never get the CORRECT size belt, so I just stayed with the bypass pulley. I no like belt squeal.
But it will work fine.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Tuesday, March 27, 2007 7:31 AM
345k5 belt works fine its just super hard to get it on there, i had to remove tire and wheel well plastics and practically pry it on, also on my other z i have the aem alternator pulley and i used a 365k5 belt to bypass ac with that set up, and that is much easier to get on.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 7:44 AM
Would you still use the 365k5 w/the AEM alt. pulley and a Ebay underdrive pulley and no a/c?

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Tuesday, March 27, 2007 8:22 AM
BIGGSZ24 wrote:Would you still use the 365k5 w/the AEM alt. pulley and a Ebay underdrive pulley and no a/c?

You are officially in the "try it until it fits" category now.

1989 Z24 Convertible - Dust Covered
2006 tC - Dust Covered, but driven more
Tuesday, March 27, 2007 11:34 AM
ZlineDavid wrote:
BIGGSZ24 wrote:Would you still use the 365k5 w/the AEM alt. pulley and a Ebay underdrive pulley and no a/c?

You are officially in the "try it until it fits" category now.

thats no shiit... i just went through this last week, im running an aem alt. pulley and an RSM underdrive crank pulley and it took me 5 different belts to get a correct size, but i did finally find one (cant remember the number off the top of my head). the one im using is a goodyear gatorback and its nice n tight and works great.

i do believe mine is exactly 1 inch longer than stock.

its odd too, because you would think a stock belt would go on just fine because your putting a smaller crank pulley on and a larger alt. pulley on, but nononono... thats not how it goes down

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 12:11 PM
Stock belt works on AEM alternator pulley and Unorthodox crank pulley. The RSM is not under driven as much as the Unorthodox pulley.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Tuesday, March 27, 2007 1:11 PM
-MD- LD9 wrote:Stock belt works on AEM alternator pulley and Unorthodox crank pulley. The RSM is not under driven as much as the Unorthodox pulley.

holy crap!!! i cant imagine a smaller pulley then the one i have, its TINY compared to stock, just a lil smaller than my previous 2.3 HO crank pulley i would say.

Friday, March 30, 2007 1:07 PM

as said you may have to be the try all person, cuz the 365k5 belt is kinda long like compaired to stock set ups tension with 345k5 belt the 365k5 one with my aem pulley is a bit looser, so idk if they make it but u may wanna try something like a 355k5 belt

Friday, March 30, 2007 1:35 PM
Yeah I figured I would have to go and buy 4 belts and try em all thanks fellas

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search