'02 Z24 short ram question... - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
'02 Z24 short ram question...
Saturday, March 24, 2007 11:44 PM
I own a 2002 Cavalier Z24 and I was looking to add a short ram intake system, but i had some questions. My question is which short ram intake system should I buy for my car? I've found quite a few different manufacturers that make a short ram system for the '02 Z24, but which one is good? The AEM site is the only one that I've found that included any sort of performance data, and from the looks of the graph, I'd actually be losing horsepower in low RPMs if I added on of these :

http://www.aempower.com/ViewProduct.aspx?ProductID=21#

Am I reading their graphs correctly? According to their peformance data, I wouldn't see a performance gain unless I really stomp on the gas...and I would actually be losing peformance when i don't.

So what's the deal with these short ram intake systems? Which ones are good and which ones should I steer away from? And will they actually do anything noticeable for my peformance? Thanks everyone!

Re: '02 Z24 short ram question...
Sunday, March 25, 2007 6:23 AM
buy an ebay one and throw a sticker of it and save over $100.
Sunday, March 25, 2007 8:29 AM
they are all the same dude. just a metal pipe with a filter. i can make an intake myself and make the same claims AEM does and charge less for it

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, March 25, 2007 8:56 AM
spend $30 on an intake and take rest of that money and buy your self OBX or Tsudo header.
Monday, March 26, 2007 10:33 AM
So those $5.99 intakes for sale on eBay are good? And what about installation? Is this something I could very easily install myself, or would I have to take it somewhere to be installed for a ridiculous charge?
Monday, March 26, 2007 10:37 AM
yes, get the ebay intake, but just make sure to get a decent filter, the ones that come with them generally aren't teh best. if you can turn a screwdriver and have basic tools (a wrench/sockets/screwdrivers) you can easily do it yourself. even if it doesnt come with instructions, just look at it. it should come to you how it all works.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Monday, March 26, 2007 11:05 AM
Gotta love the never ending "Which intake should I get" questions......

Monday, March 26, 2007 1:22 PM
Thanks y'all! One more question though, the AEM site says I would have to buy an additional part because my car is a manual transmission. So with this eBay intake would I need an additional part as well, or will it work as is?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-02-Chevy-Cavalier-Z24-2-4L-Air-Intake-Kit-96-97-98-9_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQitemZ330101145070QQrdZ1

Will that work on my manual transmission Z24 as is, or do I need an additonal part?
Monday, March 26, 2007 1:41 PM
Dont go for that one. Get a decent Ebay intake. Then throw a sticker on it.

If you have a 2.4L get this one
Ebay intake

It list a cold air, but it really isnt. Some ebayer dont know what the differences are between the two. Even comes with a better filter but buy a K&N or aem

AEM filter

Theres not much work involved in the install. Do a search for that. Plenty of previous post on it. Enough that some JBOeons will burn you for asking.

Hope it help

now DIE!
Monday, March 26, 2007 2:23 PM
all the extra little part is is a little plate to remount your manual transmission clutch fluid reservoir, because it hangs from the side of the stock airbox. you can do the same thing with some screws and your firewall.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Monday, March 26, 2007 4:48 PM
If all else fails, resort to duct tape and zip ties!

Monday, March 26, 2007 4:51 PM
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search