Side exit exhaust - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Side exit exhaust
Monday, March 26, 2007 11:55 AM
Has anyone on here attempted to put in a side exit exhaust. I saw a pic of one and thought it would be interesting to do. If you have, did you run into any problems and what would you recommend to complete this project. Thanks!

"You can only feed them semen for so long before their legs fall off."

Re: Side exit exhaust
Monday, March 26, 2007 12:01 PM
its been done many times. its loud as hell and wont pass inspection.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Monday, March 26, 2007 12:09 PM
driver side would be easy... passenger side, be prepared to relocate your gas tank.

Monday, March 26, 2007 1:01 PM
i actually have a side exit exhaust just hangin around... 2.25 compression bent, hushpower muffler... wanna buy it?

It was loud, but the car is MUCH louder with the 3" rear exist. My girlfriend wont ride in the car anymore.

Built, bottled, ready for 11s. 14.446@93.74mph, 1.848 60' N/A.
Monday, March 26, 2007 1:05 PM
Here were some pics...

Built, bottled, ready for 11s. 14.446@93.74mph, 1.848 60' N/A.
Monday, March 26, 2007 1:13 PM
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:its been done many times. its loud as hell and wont pass inspection.

loud as hell???? how would it be louder? an extra 3 ft of of exhaust wont change ur exhaust note, resonators and mufflers do that. AND dont say it wont pass inspection, cause that matters soley on location (damn i love Louisiana)LOL

daily: 99 civic Si
deceased: 95 cavy '00 LD9 auto swap (vandalized)
Monday, March 26, 2007 1:44 PM
hmmm, ive always wanted to buy a set of roush stage 3 03 mustang side exit chrome tips and cut out a set of 95-02 z24 side skirts to fit... i think it would look AMAZING. ive even gone so far as to dream up a way to put a fuel cell in the trunk... by cutting out the spare tire well. it'd be a big undertaking, but someday i will do it.

Monday, March 26, 2007 1:52 PM
I used to have one and then I said F this I like to hear my music LOL. OBX header 2.5 exhaust with
a magnaflow straight through muffler. Most annoying thing in the world. I also wanted the roush tips but
they were very expensive. So I made a tip.
Really old pics. When my car used to be red.

The one thing that I did was bend the rocker lip up. That helps in tucking up the exhaust so that it does not look so low.

Monday, March 26, 2007 9:25 PM
^^ wow that looks amazing
Tuesday, March 27, 2007 4:10 AM
Quote:

loud as hell???? how would it be louder? an extra 3 ft of of exhaust wont change ur exhaust note

From outside the car, probably not. The shortness of the exhaust will make a minor change in note, but not insane. From inside the car, though, it will be much, much louder. Simply for the reason that the exhaust is terminating right behind you and straight out, rather than directed towards the back of the car 2 feet behind you.

1989 Z24 Convertible - Dust Covered
2006 tC - Dust Covered, but driven more
Tuesday, March 27, 2007 12:08 PM
David, that exhaust is awesome! Did you have to cut out the slot in the body or did it come pre-fab?

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 1:03 PM
I made the tip and the bend on the tip under the rocker lip. I also cut out the slot in the skirt.
Then I just drove it to the muffler shop with the other exhaust I had on it and had them put
my magnalfow muffler on in place of the resonator and then make the bend to the tip.
But it was deffinately not worth it LOL. Was loud as @!#$ and vibrated a bit on the skirt.
That is now all patched up and not there any more lol. I could have made it work better but
being so loud I chose not too.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 1:38 PM
Yeah, that's what my bro was telling me, that they are really loud and there isnt much room more a muffler or resonator. But still. Also, wont the tip damage the skirts from the high temps? Cause i've seen that yellow cavi with the side exhaust in the very front and it has a metal plating around it or something like that. I really wanna do this, but i want to find a way to make it not so loud. Gonna be hard huh?

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 1:58 PM
What about this??

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 3:26 PM
Well I had my exhaust like that for about 4 months and no burns. It's fiberglass not urethane so no melting.
It did get hot as hell though, like any other exhaust tip. The back bumper has been done by Event I think his name
is. I remember seeing a pic that he had of his round tip coming out the side of the bumper. I thought it was pretty cool
The thing on the drift is that it is all open in the back so it would look kind of weird just exiting out the side there.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search