OBX Intake Manifold? - Page 4 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: OBX Intake Manifold?
Friday, March 23, 2007 7:35 AM

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Friday, March 23, 2007 7:42 AM
Quote:

Also, GM used 2 different sizes for the T/B bolts, during the production of the 2.4...... that could be the reason for the incorrect bolt hole sizes (on both the Venom, and OBX knock-off)

hmmm... i thought this as well but wasnt sure so i just drilled the venom's out and tapped them for the bolts i had, i have 3 2.4 stock intakes w/ TB's on them (off a 97, a 98, and a 96) as well as one off a 2000 alero... not ONE of the bolts for any year of them i had for the TB's were the right size.

i honestly would perfer having the bigger bolts, so thats why i did what i did.

so... what year had the smaller TB bolts?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Friday, March 23, 2007 8:53 AM

Friday, March 23, 2007 8:16 AM
Ryan Thompson wrote:2 bad its not actually mounted inside the engine apartment like it should be so how do we know what it looks like inside of cavalier engine apartment?

i guess you cant read or didnt bother to read about the none of the bolt holes for the tb and egr block off are the correct size or the head flange doesnt have the channel for the PCV system or the flange to manifold is really bad , lots of dead edges , not so good for flow (i think this would be an important one),
and lets not forget the holes dont line up that there is another biggy

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Friday, March 23, 2007 8:24 AM
my 97 and my 00 both have the same size tb bolts , as did a 98-99 ive done work on , the 02 motor i have currently in my 97 has the same size bolts

ive yet to see a 2.4 tb with different size bolts for the tb

Friday, March 23, 2007 8:29 AM
I forget the years, but I have seen/used a few different 2.4 intakes with different size bolts. Some are real skinny like the ones used for the water pump, others are larger. I had probably 10 different 2.4 intakes in my possesion at one time, and I'd say about a third of them where different.

Let me check the ones I have left, see what they have.

Friday, March 23, 2007 8:44 AM
[quote=97trd(???™)]my 97 and my 00 both have the same size tb bolts , as did a 98-99 ive done work on , the 02 motor i have currently in my 97 has the same size bolts

ive yet to see a 2.4 tb with different size bolts for the tb

me to. my dads 00 z24 has the same bolts as all of mine, as well as my buddy's 01 grand am.

maybe it was a 2002 year only thing?

Friday, March 23, 2007 11:39 AM
jarett's 02 has the same size bolts , as all of mine

ive got about a half dozen intakes at home and some are ported

Friday, March 23, 2007 12:06 PM
ok i talked to obx on the phone. i let them know the tb was the main issue with the holes not lineing up, holes wrong size, and linkage hitting the runner. he test fitted their throttle spacer and the holes lined up to it (eek!) but the bolts would not fit the holes. i let them also know the other issues which eric listed also. he had me send an e-mail with pictures attached.

one thing i need from someone is a picture of a stock manifold's flange where it attaches to the block...need to show where the clips for the gasket are and the channels for the pcv system

If I'm weird and everyone else is weird, does that make me normal?
-me

Versus Motorsports really @!#$ sucks
and so does DHL...but more
Friday, March 23, 2007 12:27 PM
Just the sheer design of it, I would not get it. It (looks) virtually the same as what it comes from the factory but just chrome plated. And being that it is metal, I'm willing to bet it weighs more then plastic piece factory piece (more frontal weight) and it being metal it will probably conduce more heat too, which is what you don't want on the intake section.
I would just go with the HO version and call it at a day. But to each their own money and car.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Friday, March 23, 2007 12:55 PM
well someone had to test it lol

yea i may have wasted my money but hey if i get it to work well...more power to me then lol

If I'm weird and everyone else is weird, does that make me normal?
-me

Versus Motorsports really @!#$ sucks
and so does DHL...but more
Saturday, March 24, 2007 8:43 AM
... I wonder if this manifold would be good for nitrous?

Saturday, March 24, 2007 9:26 AM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:Just the sheer design of it, I would not get it. It (looks) virtually the same as what it comes from the factory but just chrome plated. And being that it is metal, I'm willing to bet it weighs more then plastic piece factory piece (more frontal weight) and it being metal it will probably conduce more heat too, which is what you don't want on the intake section.
I would just go with the HO version and call it at a day. But to each their own money and car.

huh?? u just contradicted yourself.... u said "being metal it will probably conduce more heat" and yet u wanna go with a METAL HO intake manifold.

now... i must skool you with the weight factor. MY VENOM intake actually weighs LESS than my stock plastic intake, mine is made from aluminum piping and is extremly lightweight, idk about the OBX tho. the HO intake weighs more than the stock plastic one... its a heavy beast.

and as for it just "looking" like a chrome stock one... you are wrong-its FAR from stock-only thing similar is the basic shape. the TB opening is bigger then stock, it actually has a plenum... which stock BARELY has, and the runners are bigger.

im still not saying this manifold will help at all... but IMO, i honestly think that it will.

Saturday, March 24, 2007 9:43 AM
Quote:

jarett's 02 has the same size bolts , as all of mine

ive got about a half dozen intakes at home and some are ported

But you where the one that told me the bolt holes were diff I think.

But the Venom mani I had used 5mm thread bolts.
And my 2.4L uses the 6mm thread bolts.

I have the smaller bolts I pulled from a junk yard Z (with EGR) in the car on the floor behind the passenger seats.
With a bunch of the HO manifold sersor things.

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Saturday, March 24, 2007 10:06 AM
z yaaaa wrote:
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:Just the sheer design of it, I would not get it. It (looks) virtually the same as what it comes from the factory but just chrome plated. And being that it is metal, I'm willing to bet it weighs more then plastic piece factory piece (more frontal weight) and it being metal it will probably conduce more heat too, which is what you don't want on the intake section.

huh?? u just contradicted yourself.... u said "being metal it will probably conduce more heat" and yet u wanna go with a METAL HO intake manifold.

now... i must skool you with the weight factor. MY VENOM intake actually weighs LESS than my stock plastic intake, mine is made from aluminum piping and is extremly lightweight, idk about the OBX tho. the HO intake weighs more than the stock plastic one... its a heavy beast.

and as for it just "looking" like a chrome stock one... you are wrong-its FAR from stock-only thing similar is the basic shape. the TB opening is bigger then stock, it actually has a plenum... which stock BARELY has, and the runners are bigger.

im still not saying this manifold will help at all... but IMO, i honestly think that it will.

you forgot about the phenolic spacer........... that and port matching the manifold are the only 2 ways to get the manifold to line up with the head. figure I would say something before they ream you one lol

Team GREEN

2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
16.8.1 compression... 360hp.... 650tq.... stock

Saturday, March 24, 2007 10:49 AM
Z Speed Cavi wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:

and as for the VENOM just "looking" like a chrome stock one... you are wrong-its FAR from stock-only thing similar is the basic shape. the TB opening is bigger then stock, it actually has a plenum... which stock BARELY has, and the runners are bigger.

you forgot about the phenolic spacer........... that and port matching the manifold are the only 2 ways to get the manifold to line up with the head. figure I would say something before they ream you one lol

was that directed at me?? am i missing something here? i dont see how that would pertain to either post, his OR mine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, March 24, 2007 11:52 AM

Saturday, March 24, 2007 12:01 PM
AZSpitFire97 (Todd) wrote:ok i talked to obx on the phone. i let them know the tb was the main issue with the holes not lineing up, holes wrong size, and linkage hitting the runner. he test fitted their throttle spacer and the holes lined up to it (eek!) but the bolts would not fit the holes. i let them also know the other issues which eric listed also. he had me send an e-mail with pictures attached.

one thing i need from someone is a picture of a stock manifold's flange where it attaches to the block...need to show where the clips for the gasket are and the channels for the pcv system

todd you know where some intakes are sitting

Saturday, March 24, 2007 12:32 PM
AZSpitFire97 (Todd) wrote:one thing i need from someone is a picture of a stock manifold's flange where it attaches to the block...need to show where the clips for the gasket are and the channels for the pcv system

First, check your gaskets....... all of the ones I've been seeing lately (mostly Felpro) dont have the knock out open for the "PVC" channels..... its blocked by the center plastic skeleton of the gasket. In your pick, it looks like the hole is open, but hard to tell.

With that blocked, your not getting ANY vaccum from the intake to the head port anyway.

there are some pics I guess you wanted......

Monday, March 26, 2007 5:08 PM
No offence, but the venom STYLE manifold probably doesn't provide more than a horse or two worth of power. Although the stock "plenum" size ( if you want to call it a plenum) is the size of a small energy drink can, which isn't nearly enough volume for top end.
Monday, March 26, 2007 7:45 PM
Beau wrote:No offence, but the venom STYLE manifold probably doesn't provide more than a horse or two worth of power. Although the stock "plenum" size ( if you want to call it a plenum) is the size of a small energy drink can, which isn't nearly enough volume for top end.

I Totally agree 100%. U guys should really look closely at honda manifold. the WHOLE plenum sits above the ports (reduces n20 puddling issues) . and the runners are pretty straight. u really can't do that with the ld9 or ecotec because they dont rev as high (longer runners) unless its built to handle some rpm's

daily: 99 civic Si
deceased: 95 cavy '00 LD9 auto swap (vandalized)
Monday, March 26, 2007 8:52 PM
Beau wrote:No offence, but the venom STYLE manifold probably doesn't provide more than a horse or two worth of power. Although the stock "plenum" size ( if you want to call it a plenum) is the size of a small energy drink can, which isn't nearly enough volume for top end.

again, noone has any dyno numbers, so none actually KNOW if it helps or not. unfortunatly i wont know if it did or not when i dyno my car this summer, as ive added quite a few other mods as well.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 2:26 AM
my supercharger is my custom intake manifold.

carry on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 6:57 AM
z yaaaa wrote:

When I said that, in my mind I was comparing a plastic unit vs. a metal unit, ie... Stock GM vs. OBX/ Venom. Although yes, it may look like I'm contradicting myself, but keep in mind how much thicker the metal is on the HO compared to the intake found here. It is harder for heat to be conduced on the HO then the OBX/Venom, being that it is all shiny chrome does not help much to block the radiant heat either.
The stock 2.4L intake when I sold it had a shipping weight of 3-lbs and I don't know on the OBX/Venom ones, but I doubt it will be 2-lbs or less. GM used to use in the past lots of aluminum intakes, but ditched the idea for weight, intake temps & cost.
Also what I meant "it (looks) virtually the same as what it comes from the factory but just chrome plated," I meant: it looks like the stock one just chrome. Put the stock GM one next to the Venom/OBX one and they have virtually the same design flow.
And if (you) think it will help... I say: "to each their own money and car."

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 7:37 AM
my venom is not chrome, its POLISHED aluminum, and i assure you... this DOES help will heat dissipation.

also, idk how, but i also assure you that the venom is indeed lighter then the stock plastic one. i knew i should have weighed them, but i didnt have a scale that would go low enough. damn it!

i just love how a lot of ppl bash a product they've probly never seen in person or have ever used it. the obx is JUNK, i dont need to see it in person to KNOW this fact. my venom is a product that was well thought out and well designed. you put the obx next to the venom and i GARENTEE you that the venom is the FAR superior part.

and IMO, i would run a HO intake, but i hate where it put the TB, and hate that it weighs a ton, also hate that you have to either port match it or buy an adapter flange to get it to work. i have yet to see a dyno sheet proving the HO intake, or the venom, so whats the difference? but i am almost certain that the venom is better than stock, not only for the fact that its got larger runners, but for the fact that it actually has a "plenum"

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 8:54 AM
z yaaaa wrote:
and IMO, i would run a HO intake, but i hate where it put the TB, and hate that it weighs a ton, also hate that you have to either port match it or buy an adapter flange to get it to work. i have yet to see a dyno sheet proving the HO intake, or the venom, so whats the difference? but i am almost certain that the venom is better than stock, not only for the fact that its got larger runners, but for the fact that it actually has a "plenum"

Or a different head.

And to everyone this pertains to:
Let's stop the argument of HO vs Venom vs Stock. This thread was about the OBX manifold. Let's leave it at that. Either start a new thread or continue upon the 100's already out there.

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 10:21 AM
shipping weight was 7lbs on the obx , it was in a rather large box with packing material

buy it self it was a coule pounds

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search