Sell my car, or swap in an eco... - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Sell my car, or swap in an eco...
Friday, March 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Ok, so here's the deal. I have a 2002 Chev cavalier 5spd with about 101,000KM on it and a slow 2200. I'd really like to have this car get some umph, and my question simply is, am I better off swapping in an ecotec with another 5spd tranny, or should I just sell the car and buy one with an ecotec already in it? For the 2200 all I have is a header, and a cold air intake... waiting on some strut bars, and a short shifter from the GPs... Just wondering what I should do to make some power... and starting to realise ecotec is the most sensible choice, just looking for input!

Thanks,
Alex

There will always be someone faster than you, but thousands slower and dumber than you.

Re: Sell my car, or swap in an eco...
Friday, March 23, 2007 8:35 AM
pull your engine and trans, sell it, and buy what ever engine and trans combo you want. I'd go 2.4 LD9 over the Eco, but thats just me.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Friday, March 23, 2007 8:40 AM
I would just save myself the hassle of swapping, and just buy an eco. they can be found ridiculously cheap anyway.

just to give u an idea, I dont know how price are in your town, but where I live, you can pick up and 03 eco cav for arond 3500-4500. Ive even seen 05's go for 5000 - 6500. never over that

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 12:41 PM
Depends on if you want a built-up eco or not. If all you're planning on doing is bolt-on's, then sell and buy a new one. However, if you're going to build the eco, then drop it in...

--------------------------------------------------------
2002 Sunfire -->
- Ractive steering wheel
- ASA 17" EM9 + Nexen N5000 215/45/17 (steelies for winter)
- D-Spec Lowering kit @ 1.4" (issues currently )
- Rockford P250.1 + MTX MZS1004 + Panasonic CQ-C8313U head unit
- Barely legal tint.
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 5:03 PM
Well I've decided to swap one in, so now I'm just waiting for an eco cav/sunfire with a 5 spd to get written off I plan on building up the motor... so I'm going to go the swap route so I can easily tear it apart and install some go-fast goodies with it on the stand.

Now the next big question question is naturally aspirated or turbo! Guys seem to be pulling some really good #s on the eco n/a!

There will always be someone faster than you, but thousands slower and dumber than you.
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 5:27 PM
Sometimes you may be able to find them at your local junk yards.

Also check Ebay motors.

You might even find a 2.4 Eco out of Cobalt, malibu, or G6. I've seen some 2.4 Eco motors on Ebay( about 6 months ago), for about under 2 grand - - motor, tranny & ECM.
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 9:36 PM
Quote:

Now the next big question question is naturally aspirated or turbo! Guys seem to be pulling some really good #s on the eco n/a!

you need to ask yourself that. some like NA some like boost. what do you like?

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Thursday, March 29, 2007 6:18 AM
everyone likes boost

Thursday, March 29, 2007 4:53 PM
IMO after swapping a 2.4 in my car I should have gone Eco but not for performance as they are basically the same. It is hard as hell to find a 2.4 ANYWHERE, and when you do they want 1k for one with 95k on it. I can get an Eco with like 20k on it for $350.. 10 minutes away. My 2.4 is high miles but runs ok. I suppose I can't weld so I'd need help with the trans part of the swap. You won't have that problem 2.4 or Eco. I know, even better, Eco motor and a 00-02 S/C 2.4 flashed Ecu. Best of both worlds.

g/l

Sven you totally quarterloafed your computer..
Friday, March 30, 2007 10:27 AM
to each their own on n/a vs. boost. pj (da flyin skwirl) is running an n/a setup and pushing high 13 sec. quarter mile times. hes got a lot of work done. head, cams, exhaust, clutch, hp tuners. and pushing a 7500 rpm redline daily. he's had no problems with it. i myself am going with the hahn stg. 2 turbo kit. good kit to go with because of the port fueler and numbers produced by it. hahns stock eco at 12 psi ran a 12.99 on a show car. its all up to you. the swap is gonna be fairly simple because of the fact that you own an 02. search for pj (da flyin skwirl) posts and he has one of everything you will need to do that swap because he has done one. hes a cool guy too so any questions you may have about the swap he will be able to answer.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search