Choosing proper muffler size - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Choosing proper muffler size
Friday, March 23, 2007 7:03 AM
I have found a Magnaflow muffler which I plan on putting on my 03 Pontiac Sunfire. I have a few questions before I buy it though. I am looking for a nice deep sound but not overally loud.

Questions:

1. What size outlet would be better? 2.25 or 2.5 and what difference will it make.
2. Case lenght? 14", 18", or 20"?
3. Could someone pick out one from the site? I'm not sure exactly what oval body size fits either.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopdisplaycategories.asp?zone=main&id=301

Thanks

03 Sunfire

Re: Choosing proper muffler size
Friday, March 23, 2007 7:09 AM
usually the bigger piping, and the longer muffler equals the quieter.

Now with magnaflows on our cars it seems they get a bit raspy, so I would suggest having them install a resonator/glass pack at the time of the muffler install as well, you wont be dissappointed

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Friday, March 23, 2007 11:03 AM
QBE (The Boosted One) wrote:usually the bigger piping, and the longer muffler equals the quieter.

Now with magnaflows on our cars it seems they get a bit raspy, so I would suggest having them install a resonator/glass pack at the time of the muffler install as well, you wont be dissappointed

Bigger the piping the the quieter it is?

03 Sunfire
Friday, March 23, 2007 12:28 PM
I was reading through one of the FAQ's on turbo boost and it said that non turbo engines need to have high exhaust velocity to aid in savaging to help draw more exhaust out of other cylinders. I guess this is done by having a smaller exhaust, smaller increases velocity and unfortunately back pressure. So while turbo's need larger exhaust (2.5 or larger) standard cars need smaller. At least smaller than turbos

With that said while larger means quieter, at what point is it too large on a standard car? 2.4 or 2.2.....

I am just quoting the FAQ. I have no idea and am asking just so that someone can educate me.

Thanks
Friday, March 23, 2007 12:30 PM
Make that scavenging, not savaging
Friday, March 23, 2007 12:39 PM
Then more into another FAQ that says..........

What is the best size exhaust pipe?
"Best" is such a subjective word, and this is a topic of much debate. It is widely accepted on J-body.org that 2.25" is a suitably-sized exhaust piping to use on an aftermarket exhaust, unless you are running some form of forced induction. People running turbos or superchargers generally go up to 2.5", sometimes even 3" for high boost applications. Anything larger is truly overkill.
Friday, March 23, 2007 5:14 PM
Ethan wrote:Then more into another FAQ that says..........

"Best" is such a subjective word, and this is a topic of much debate. It is widely accepted on J-body.org that 2.25" is a suitably-sized exhaust piping to use on an aftermarket exhaust, unless you are running some form of forced induction. People running turbos or superchargers generally go up to 2.5", sometimes even 3" for high boost applications. Anything larger is truly overkill.

That helps me out. My car is completely stock and I don't plan on further modifying it so I think 2.25 is my best bet.

03 Sunfire
Saturday, March 24, 2007 4:41 AM
Here are the 4 that I have been looking at. I assume the 2.25" would be slightly quieter than the 2.5" because of the smaller size. Which one would be best for what I am looking for( Nice deep sound and not overally loud). Not sure what size body will fit best either 5"X8"oval or 4"X9" oval.

03 Sunfire
Saturday, March 24, 2007 5:22 AM
Quote:

Ethan

I was reading through one of the FAQ's on turbo boost and it said that non turbo engines need to have high exhaust velocity to aid in savaging to help draw more exhaust out of other cylinders. I guess this is done by having a smaller exhaust, smaller increases velocity and unfortunately back pressure. So while turbo's need larger exhaust (2.5 or larger) standard cars need smaller. At least smaller than turbos

With that said while larger means quieter, at what point is it too large on a standard car? 2.4 or 2.2.....

I am just quoting the FAQ. I have no idea and am asking just so that someone can educate me.

Then more into another FAQ that says..........

I'm 3", and I'm not using nitrous, supercharger or a turbo.
I think many would agree, my exhaust scavenges just fine

Saturday, March 24, 2007 5:46 AM
Just going by what I have read. Its possible you might get better performance if you had smaller pipes :p But then again can't argue with real numbers. 14.00 is pretty good.

So 2.5, there split the difference!

As to the oval diameter.........uh. I didn't read much about that part of the choosing process. I'd say the inch in either direction wouldn't make much difference at all. If it were up to me I'd go more round than oval so I'd pick the 5 inch wide over the 4 inch wide...Makes sense in my head. No facts to back it up. Unless your car is lowered and the inch would make it drag or something.
Saturday, March 24, 2007 7:05 AM
Go with 2-1/4.

Saturday, March 24, 2007 7:10 AM
sscavalier wrote:Go with 2-1/4.

Awesome thanks for the help. One last thing is 2 1/4" quieter than 2.5"?

03 Sunfire
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search