Should I do engine swap or keepp the 2200...... - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Should I do engine swap or keepp the 2200......
Sunday, March 18, 2007 6:11 PM
Okay here is the problem I want everyone opinion on this. I will be getting some money sometime soon and I was thinking about doing an engine swap. I have the 2200 motor in my sunfire right now and I was thinking about putting in the 2.2 ecotec motor version 4 from mantapart.com, is it worth it or should I just do what I was thinking about doing and put in the RSM Supercharge kit.
What would you guys do in my situation?????

2000 4-dr sunfire 2200

Re: Should I do engine swap or keepp the 2200......
Sunday, March 18, 2007 6:48 PM
well if thats what u plan to do w/ the 2200 I would do an eco swap. Just get a stock eco and build it the way u want. If you keep the 2200 don't go with the rsm kit. get the hahn turbo or build your own.

Sunday, March 18, 2007 7:34 PM
In my opinion it depends on what you plan to do with the car. If you are looking for a lot of power and have a bit of money to spend, get the Eco and boost it. If youre not out to make gobs and gobs of power, than stay with the 2200 and run a turbo kit. Dont go with the RSM kit... Im not sure if theyre even a company anymore, but anything and everything you read about them is not good usually.

"run what you brung" gets my vote, I'd say to just build and boost the 2200.. Itll never have the support that the eco gets, as its a base model motor and is now discontinued. However if you run a successful setup and make some decent power, in my opinion it is more respectable than doing the ever popular Eco swap. I get nothing but concerned faces and respectful commentary when I explain what the 2200 motor can do (from what i know and have heard) from friends and people I know.

2200 FTW

OHV POWAH!
Sunday, March 18, 2007 7:56 PM
i think you should make 2 threads about the same thing thats been asked many many times. way to go.

Sunday, March 18, 2007 11:34 PM
i wouldn't waist any money on the rsm supercharger or a 2.2 they are both lost causes. do a swap eco or even a ld9 even stock internals they have the potential to run 12s
Monday, March 19, 2007 6:25 AM
LEVI wrote:i wouldn't waist any money on the rsm supercharger or a 2.2 they are both lost causes. do a swap eco or even a ld9 even stock internals they have the potential to run 12s
He's right, a 2.2L/2200 will NEVER run 12s
However, I would suggest staing away from RSM / Z-spec and Mantapart, unless you're paying COD.

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Monday, March 19, 2007 5:10 PM
Thanks guys on all your input. So all of you should think I keep the 2200 motor and build that up. Now the next question is since I know you all say stay away from rsm, where do I get a supercharger for the 2200 but plus one thing I think I forgot to mention is that my Fire is a auto. I did some searching on here and I didn't find anything on supercharger an auto, because everything that it was coming up with was a list of people that have there cars boosted was all it was coming up. So any input you guys can give me will mean alot. And I know alot of my questions are like new be questions but everything I know about getting part for cars are for honda's and imports not domestic, so I really don't know what companies to look at. SO any help you guys can give me on getting more power out of my fire will mean alot.

2000 4-dr sunfire 2200
Monday, March 19, 2007 5:48 PM
auto is ok. its def a disadvantage though. Especially if its the 3 speed. If you want boost i highly suggest you check out hahnracecraft.com. They have a very nice kit, and you only other options are rsm and to build your own. rsm is crap and you don;t seem to have enough knowledge to build your own kit. how much power are you trying to get out of your car?

Re: Should I do engine swap or keep the 2200......
Monday, March 19, 2007 6:37 PM
Well I have the four speed auto in my car and I know it would be some disadvantage to supercharging the auto. All I want a little more boost, I would be happy if I can get 50 more horse. If I can get more then 100 I would be very happy. I am happy with my cars performance but it could use a little more boost. But I heard that if I turbo charge a auto, that it will have some lag at the start and when you stop it take the turbine some time to catch up and slow down with that car.

2000 4-dr sunfire 2200
Monday, March 19, 2007 7:00 PM
Auto's arnt bad as some people want you to beleive. Hell you can build boost at the line by holding the brake and giving it some gas to spool it up. Plus it will be more consistant. I wanna say the member Acer is in the high 12's on his stock auto 4 speed trans......not bad if you ask me.

Monday, March 19, 2007 7:07 PM
swap to an eco

boost the hell out of it

keep the auto, but modify it

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 2:18 AM
what he said ^ spending big money on a 2200 is like beating a dead horse just stop it its wrong I've been at the track many times with my 2.4L when it was N/A with bolt ons and kicked the crap out of many turbo 2200 its just. sad start with something worth doing. if your not up to the swap than put a 50 shot on your motor you will be more than happy with it. that way when a Eco with some parts beats u its no big deal because u only had $500 invested and when your sick of it its easy to part out.
Tuesday, March 20, 2007 6:34 AM
pont00fire wrote:But I heard that if I turbo charge a auto, that it will have some lag at the start and when you stop it take the turbine some time to catch up and slow down with that car.
That's called 'spool time', and it happens with all turbo motors, regardless of transmission.

fortune cookie say:
Tuesday, March 20, 2007 11:49 AM
I say keep the 2200. Yeah a lot of people in this thread dog it, but hell you're not looking for much more hp. It has potential, just costs a bit more money. I know myself and others I've been waching on this board will have some quick 2200's this year.
Tuesday, March 20, 2007 12:26 PM
turbo the 2200 it's totally good for it.
if you want alot more than the 2200 can support... than 2.2eco or 2.4TC are the better options... #1 because they are both DOHC, #2 because the exhaust manifold is facing to the back of the car.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 2:35 PM
Well guys thanks for all the input on all of this, from what I am leaning to is keeping the 2200 and just turbo charger it. I think thats is all I need. I didn't want a big boost just enough to give a little more kick when I drive.

2000 4-dr sunfire 2200
Tuesday, March 20, 2007 4:41 PM
QuasiZ (Raiseup) wrote:just costs a bit more money
explain, please?

fortune cookie say:
Wednesday, March 21, 2007 4:27 PM
OHV notec wrote:
explain, please?

I should have made it clear that when you want to make over 200+hp the 2200 is going to cost more to get there.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 8:51 PM
QuasiZ (Raiseup) wrote:
OHV notec wrote:
explain, please?

I should have made it clear that when you want to make over 200+hp the 2200 is going to cost more to get there.
Explain, please?

Last time I checked, turbos cost the same regardless of what motor they are attached to, as do injectors, HPT (for the most part), intercoolers, clamps, couplers, piping, welding rod, BOVs, even exhaust manifolds...

fortune cookie say:
Thursday, March 22, 2007 9:48 AM
Well should i have included reliability into my answer for you too?! The ld9 and eco are much easier to get over that 200hp mark and can cost considerably less. Yes turbo parts all cost relatively the same. However, once you start pushing the 2.2/2200 you have to invest more to get it to the potentical of above said motors. Do you understand what I was trying to get at yet?
Thursday, March 22, 2007 2:01 PM
Well thanks to everyone that has posted on the topic on giving me ideas on what to do with my fire, but as of now I no longer have my fire. The car was repoed last night. I got the car as a graduation gift from my parents and they where not paying for it so they repo it last night. That means the money I did put into it is all gone, body kit, exhaust, wing, AEM cold air intake, tail light conversion and rims all gone. There is a slit possibility I might get the car back, so I will let you guys posted. Well during the time of me having the car I was proud of my car and I was proud to own a J-body, it was fun well it lasted but who know the next chapter might be different. Thanks again for everything my fellow J-Bodies.

2000 4-dr sunfire 2200

Thursday, March 22, 2007 4:37 PM
QuasiZ (Raiseup) wrote:Well should i have included reliability into my answer for you too?! The ld9 and eco are much easier to get over that 200hp mark and can cost considerably less. Yes turbo parts all cost relatively the same. However, once you start pushing the 2.2/2200 you have to invest more to get it to the potentical of above said motors. Do you understand what I was trying to get at yet?
You can run an LN2 to 200+hp just as easily and reliably as an LD9 or ECO, anyone who tells you otherwise has not done their homework--no extra cost for 'motor strengthening'.
As far as the 2.2L starting out with less power, all you have to do is run 2-3lbs more boost, no extra cost there either.
So, no, I don't see what you're getting at. The reason everyone wants to do motor swaps right away is because they hear from other misinformed people that the LN2 is made of Elmers glue and pencil shavings...

pont00fire wrote:Well thanks to everyone that has posted on the topic on giving me ideas on what to do with my fire, but as of now I no longer have my fire. The car was repoed last night. I got the car as a graduation gift from my parents and they where not paying for it so they repo it last night. That means the money I did put into it is all gone, body kit, exhaust, wing, AEM cold air intake, tail light conversion and rims all gone. There is a slit possibility I might get the car back, so I will let you guys posted. Well during the time of me having the car I was proud of my car and I was proud to own a J-body, it was fun well it lasted but who know the next chapter might be different. Thanks again for everything my fellow J-Bodies.
I would be PISSED OFF if my parents had done that...

fortune cookie say:
Thursday, March 22, 2007 6:15 PM
OHV notec wrote: The reason everyone wants to do motor swaps right away is because they hear from other misinformed people that the LN2 is made of Elmers glue and pencil shavings...

this made me laugh.....hard.

Friday, March 23, 2007 3:16 PM
No no, it's made out of Coffee Crisp and Kit Kat bars.

--------------------------------------------------------
2002 Sunfire -->
- Ractive steering wheel
- ASA 17" EM9 + Nexen N5000 215/45/17 (steelies for winter)
- D-Spec Lowering kit @ 1.4" (issues currently )
- Rockford P250.1 + MTX MZS1004 + Panasonic CQ-C8313U head unit
- Barely legal tint.
Friday, March 23, 2007 3:45 PM
Quote:

The reason everyone wants to do motor swaps right away is because they hear from other misinformed people that the LN2 is made of Elmers glue and pencil shavings...

I think after having gone pretty far with my OHV I earned the right to swap it out.

It seemed that every other weekend I was having overheating issues, gasket leaks, oil leaks, coolant leaks, all kinds of problems. and after putting a ported and polished head on the stock bottom end, I managed a 15.7 @ 86mph and dynoed at 115whp and 131wtq

after swapping to the eco (which was pretty easy) I hit 14.9 with 4 mods, then after getting it up to the same level the OHV was at in mods, I'm running pretty consistent 14.0s and 14.1s and I'm going to hit 13s.

a stock bottom end boosted OHV barely eclipses 210whp on roughly 10psi of boost.
An eco on 10psi of boost is 235whp or higher.

so why not turn the boost up on the OHV? ok.. then turn it up on the eco and get 250whp.

if you have an OHV in an older style jbody (pre 2000) i could see you keeping the OHV because its a lot of work to switch to an eco, but if you do have a 2000 or higher, the swap is so rediculously easy, why fight the uphill battle of getting power out of the OHV? I wish I just saved up and swapped out from the beginning I would have saved the $3000 I blew modding out the OHV and could have put it towards the ecotec.

thats my 2 cents, take it or leave it. I've been on both sides of the table.. and I've never looked back.

The first time you hit the gas pedal with an eco under the hood, you forget all about the ohv.

I will say this tho; working on the ohv allowed me to learn a lot, and since it did break so much I got lots of practice lol. But in all seriousness, if it wasn't for that engine I wouldn't know half as much as I do today so if you're looking for something to learn on and don't mind the rediculous maintenence schedule (seemed my car was down every 3 or 4 jersey J meets) the OHV is a good learning tool for bigger and better things.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search