GMSC, RKSport 4-1 Header... got a flex pipe? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
GMSC, RKSport 4-1 Header... got a flex pipe?
Friday, March 09, 2007 6:04 AM
I'm really just curious here.

When I installed the 4-1 header on my car (2.4L with GM SC) we had a hell of a time dropping it down into place. There's a hard vacuum line that's different with the blower that seemed to be getting in the way and we were getting to the point where the exhaust guys were suggesting we actually drop the subframe to get it to fit.

Eventually we managed to wrestle it into place.

Recently, I had one of the bolts fail on the ball and socket joint on the header. I put new bolts and springs on, no problem, but I also considered just replacing that crap with a proper flex pipe.

When under the car though, it was obvious that you couldn't weld on a flex pipe without first removing the header. Then I remembered how hard it was to get the header into place... so I'm wondering... if it had a flex pipe welded to it before we dropped it down, would we have managed to get it in place at all?

So I'm just wondering... has anyone with the 4-1 header and the GM SC put a flex pipe on it and did it cause any installation problems?

Re: GMSC, RKSport 4-1 Header... got a flex pipe?
Friday, March 09, 2007 8:02 AM
I do not have a Charger, but you do not have to remove the header to add a flex joint. I have one (and hate it). It is under the car (after the exhaust bends and goes under). I would not recommend a flex joint. they change the tone of the exhaust.

FU Tuning

Friday, March 09, 2007 8:18 AM
So John, you recommend not running a flex pipe at all...just straight header, DP, and then cat?

Friday, March 09, 2007 7:06 PM
USJDM.....GOT YA B!TCH! wrote:So John, you recommend not running a flex pipe at all...just straight header, DP, and then cat?

Correct. I have not cat myself, but the flex joint allows the exhaust to sagg. Also it helps the exhaust be a little raspy as well. I plan to remove my flex joint.

FU Tuning

Friday, March 09, 2007 8:21 PM
i dont have a flex pipe on my car and sounds good never had a problem with it being in for about 2 years....
as far as being able to do it while the header is in is yes, and any shop should be able to do this...
and as far as welding it in i personally would not, i would bolt it in like its suppose to be.....
but that's just my opinion and i know i dont know everything so if someone that really knows correct me if i'm wrong...

Saturday, March 10, 2007 5:31 AM
thanks for the tip guys

Saturday, March 10, 2007 9:25 AM
I bought my Weapon R header off darkstars and it is a 4-2-1 so it came in 3 pieces. the flex pipe is the last piece so it was put on last. Many shops that my friends own say you should have a flex pipe. It may change the tone a slight amount and make it raspy but that is what the resonator can fix. the exhaust should move some so that when you hit a bump the exhaust can literally flex some. if not there is a high risk of it cracking and breaking off. its not going to hurt anything t put a flex pipe in it when it is only 3-5" long.

Saturday, March 10, 2007 10:01 AM
I have an Armour Coated Pacesetter and couldnt get rid of a leak at the collector cause i didnt have an Aftermarket engine mount

My engine was moving to much and causing the bolts to loosen

I went to my local exhaust shop and had him make me a custom downpipe without springs and add a small flex at the bottom of my downpipe

And now with the TTR upper mount im rocking

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search