Head Question(s)\General Performance Qs. :) - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Head Question(s)\General Performance Qs. :)
Thursday, March 08, 2007 2:02 PM
I'm normally a V8 kinda guy, long story short I have a daily driven 02 Cavalier with a 2200 in it with a getrag tranny (which by the way is a giant pain in the ass when it comes to first gear some days)

Anyways, Stuck with only this car due to space constraints (5 cars in the driveway) and I want some extra power for it, as I have some exterior plans for it, but not doing anything until there's some motor to back it up... I was reading about the patriot head, and I've basically read that all it is is a p&p head, is this true? My second question is I keep hearing people talk about the diff between a 2.2L and a 2200, I'm assuming the 2200 just means SFI and OHV, as opposed to the ecotec (2.2L) which really isn't even made by chevy... (daewoo or something?) I think.

So my question is this, if 2200 just means OHV, in the junkyard can I grab any head off of any car with the 2200 and it's going to be the same? And whats a reasonable price on these? My buddy rebuilds aircraft motors for a living so I can get a free p&p but my cav is daily driven... so I'd perfer to do all the legwork and head assy. before the final install, as well as adding some nice rocker arms and some new pushrods...

I also plan on a header (pacesetter), and an intake... As well as a lighter flywheel sooner or later. Just looking to get some balls out of a N/A motor since I'm canadian and boost would be uber bitchy in the winter, and I need the car to last somewhat. All advice is appreciated!

There will always be someone faster than you, but thousands slower and dumber than you.

Re: Head Question(s)\General Performance Qs. :)
Thursday, March 08, 2007 2:31 PM
http://www.patriot-performance.com/waterNew/default.asp?T=505242&DID=1225

5 Axis CNC Ported
OEM Valvetrain
3 Angle Valvejob

Its a pretty awesome deal. I'm pretty sure you can't use the older ln2 head. You need one between 99-02. I'm sure somebody will shed some more light on this. Intake is a good idea. The 2.3 throttle body is a little bigger and bolts up with a little modification. I've heard bad things about pacesetters cat back, but I have a pacesetter header and really like it. There are a lot of threads about rocker arms and pushrods. That would also be a good idea. If you get all that, I'm sure you would be satisfied for a daily driver. There is a lot more info that I am way too lazy to post, but if you search na 2200 or something along those lines you will find ALOT of good reading.

Re: Head Question(s)General Performance Qs. :)
Thursday, March 08, 2007 6:56 PM
F-body Guy wrote:I'm normally a V8 kinda guy, long story short I have a daily driven 02 Cavalier with a 2200 in it with a getrag tranny (which by the way is a giant pain in the ass when it comes to first gear some days)

I feel your pain. My 1st gear is very hard some days.

Quote:

Anyways, Stuck with only this car due to space constraints (5 cars in the driveway) and I want some extra power for it, as I have some exterior plans for it, but not doing anything until there's some motor to back it up... I was reading about the patriot head, and I've basically read that all it is is a p&p head, is this true? My second question is I keep hearing people talk about the diff between a 2.2L and a 2200, I'm assuming the 2200 just means SFI and OHV, as opposed to the ecotec (2.2L) which really isn't even made by chevy... (daewoo or something?) I think.

The Ecotec is NOT made by Daewoo. It was designed and made by GM as a global powerplant for all of their product lines. Older Saabs and European GM cars had motors labeled as Ecotecs but they have no relation to the Ecotec we know now. The E-Tec engine is what came from Daewoo and is only in the Aveo.

The Patriot head is an awesome CNC P'n'P head. I don't know of anyone that has gotten more out of the head hand porting it themselves.

Quote:

So my question is this, if 2200 just means OHV, in the junkyard can I grab any head off of any car with the 2200 and it's going to be the same? And whats a reasonable price on these? My buddy rebuilds aircraft motors for a living so I can get a free p&p but my cav is daily driven... so I'd perfer to do all the legwork and head assy. before the final install, as well as adding some nice rocker arms and some new pushrods...

The 2200 is a version of the 2.2L OHV motor and was available in the Cavalier from 98-02. The previous version was just called the 2.2L OHV. Both are weak motors that need a large shot of giggle gas or gabs of boost to make any real power. There are parts out there for the car for sure, but most people who want some power go with the Ecotec. Lots of junkyards should have your motor though.

Quote:

I also plan on a header (pacesetter), and an intake... As well as a lighter flywheel sooner or later. Just looking to get some balls out of a N/A motor since I'm canadian and boost would be uber bitchy in the winter, and I need the car to last somewhat. All advice is appreciated!

Boost isn't bitchy in the winter. I drive my boosted Cav around all year here in Chicago and don't have any issues. Just tune it right. A balls out N/A motor from the 2200 is almost impossible though. Throw juice at it or boost it if you want power.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, March 08, 2007 6:58 PM

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Friday, March 09, 2007 5:11 AM
Thanks for the advice hypsy, I've been doing a lot of reading about everything and about boost etc, I figure you can boost about 7psi without the car exploding prematurely. Either way, I figure I can build up the motor NA then if I ever decide to go boost, the better flowing head will just help that much more... And trust me, I'd really like to try boost because up until now, I've only had balls out NA 350s and such, boost would be a nice thing to tinker with. I've also heard the spider gears inside our differentials are relatively weak, thats what the owner of the one tranny shop told me anyways Oh... only reason I'm staying with the 2200 is a ecotec swap really isn't in the cards... just can't afford to have the car off the road for that amount of time.

Thanks for the advice guys, I can't wait to tinker with this car when the weather gets nicer... Love doing stuff like this

There will always be someone faster than you, but thousands slower and dumber than you.
Friday, March 09, 2007 8:17 AM
Let me know if you want that head. I have them on sale until April 17th.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search