ecotec into an 01? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ecotec into an 01?
Tuesday, March 06, 2007 7:35 AM
Ok all i want to know is if anyone has replaced the 2.2L in an 01 cavy with and ecotec, and what was involved (replaced, needed, and any interchagable stuff). Any help is appreciated

Re: ecotec into an 01?
Tuesday, March 06, 2007 7:45 AM
look up DaFlyinSkwirrl (pj) he has done it, and if im not mistaken he actually pioneered the eco swaps

oh and BTW there are multiple threads on this site that describe in explicit detail exactly what needs to be done. so next time .....use the search (its your friend)
Tuesday, March 06, 2007 12:35 PM
I'm presently in the middle of swapping in the Eco into my '01 Sunfire. What you will need is:

Motor and transmission, you will need both and best to get them together, can save you some headaches. If you have auto, stick with it, same for manual, life will be allot easier. Make sure you get the alt, a/c pump w/ hoses, and starter. These are not swappable between the 2.2ohv, quad4, and ecotec.

Ecu and wire harness, make sure the donor has the same options as your car, life will be allot easier. My '01 is manual w/ ABS, donor was auto w/o ABS, I had to remove the auto tranny circuits and add in the ABS, was not fun. I'll still need to get the ecu reprogrammed!

exhaust manifold and down pipe/ cat converter, heh, they moved the studs 1/4" outwards, pr**ks. Make sure you get both.

Passenger side motor mount, gonna need this puppy too, or pick up one from one of the shops on the board. the q4 and 2.2ohv stand 2" taller and would need sketchy spacers to line the motor up properly.

The best and most affordable way to get the parts, is to find an insurance salvage auction. Cars can go pretty cheap, just try to find one with rear end or side impact damage that leaves the engine compartment intact. Any parts you don't need can be sold off to help cover the costs of the conversion.

Hope this helps.
Wednesday, March 07, 2007 8:27 AM
yeah my swap is about complete as well. just go to the third gen forum and look at the 15 or so page post by the squirrel. read every page and then if you have more questions post them up.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Thursday, March 08, 2007 4:51 PM
ask the skwrill he's running 13's na with it. he'll be able to help you with the information

i'll do this later
Thursday, March 08, 2007 8:06 PM
Ecotec swap sticky (updated)

here ya go bud fresh off the post button

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search