Ok this can't be true but... - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ok this can't be true but...
Tuesday, March 06, 2007 12:58 PM
Today one of my friends was telling me of a cheap and easy way to get a few extra horsepower.
He said that you can cut a slit in your stock intake.
I asked him about any long term damage to the car and he said none.

I asked my friend who knows a ton more about engines and the like than I do and he said he didn't know (and that he would build me a cold air intake if I wanted him to, which I would rather have than be unsure about something)
I don't know if any of you have heard this, but if you have heard about doing this, please clarify for me.
Thanks

Re: Ok this can't be true but...
Tuesday, March 06, 2007 1:05 PM
sounds like a crock of @!#$ to me, I wouldn't do it. There is no way that you could see a performance gain from that

Go Premium, it builds character!

Tuesday, March 06, 2007 1:07 PM
I was a little skeptical about it too.
I' m just curious, I'm definetely going to go with my friend making me the intake, I was just wondering if it was true.
Tuesday, March 06, 2007 1:45 PM
Cutting a slit in the Air Intake path would be like putting a hole in a drinking straw.

Tuesday, March 06, 2007 1:46 PM
right, you might see like 1 more horsepower, but thats only because your bypassing the air filter. Your friend is a dork.

Tuesday, March 06, 2007 1:54 PM
It will sound more powerful.

Which is good enough for most people

Tuesday, March 06, 2007 2:42 PM
it would make as much sense as taking off the air filter since thats basically what your doing...letting in unfiltered air. Thats a stupid idea, tell him hes a moron and don't let him work on your car EVER! He's the guy that swears by the resistor mods sold on eBay.
Wednesday, March 07, 2007 3:10 AM
Agreed with all of the above....

...They just HATE it when you ...POINT - LAUGH - then DRIVE OFF AND AWAY-!...
Thursday, March 08, 2007 5:46 AM
I'm not a big fan of letting dirt into my engine, so i wouldn't do it. Also you'd run the risk of hydrolock.

Thursday, March 08, 2007 8:52 PM
Bah.... you're all pussies. Be a MAN and run an open throttle body!!! It sounds sooooooooo powerful...!

/end sarcasm..

Actually, I did run an open TB at the track once... didn't seem to make much of a difference....

Thursday, March 08, 2007 10:04 PM
OMG I TRIED IT AND GOT DYNO RESULTS!!! LOOK!!!!!!!

Friday, March 09, 2007 5:59 AM
John Lenko wrote:Actually, I did run an open TB at the track once... didn't seem to make much of a difference....

heh. Me too. Same results, and the nervous feeling of knowing you're running without a filter was SO not worth it, especially down the return track...

Friday, March 09, 2007 3:27 PM
Wild Weasel wrote:
John Lenko wrote:Actually, I did run an open TB at the track once... didn't seem to make much of a difference....

heh. Me too. Same results, and the nervous feeling of knowing you're running without a filter was SO not worth it, especially down the return track...

Been there done that ^^^^ than I realized the only real way to get any power out of a 2200 was to get some sort of forced induction.

Friday, March 09, 2007 3:43 PM
what if he meant cutting a hole in the stock air box? like before the filter, so like to bypass the bong? it doesnt help with power, but you get the same nice sound, and are still protected.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Friday, March 09, 2007 9:49 PM
well if you really want to go faster smash out the front and rear windshield...less drag thus making the car faster duh...just make sure you wear goggles and bring toothpicks

Visit me on Cardomain
Saturday, March 10, 2007 4:46 AM
that reminds me of the old red necks flipping the air cleaner lid in thier old TBI and carberated engines.I don't think it does any thing noticable but it looks funny. Pus Being that I live in good old Michigan, bypassing the heat stack can lead to cold drivablity problems.
Saturday, March 10, 2007 5:39 AM
BlackEco wrote:OMG I TRIED IT AND GOT DYNO RESULTS!!! LOOK!!!!!!!

Is the red line your baseline? If it is you gained like 30HP! Screw all the work i've put into a turbo kit!

Saturday, March 10, 2007 10:04 AM
Just save yourself alot of trouble and get a proper intake setup

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search