My plans - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My plans
Saturday, March 03, 2007 8:02 PM
This isnt exactly what people usually post... but i figured id post this anyway.. see what you guys think and get a few changes maybe to make it better, maybe some parts, advice, ect. well... ok, i have a 1989 Pontiac Sunbird LE 2.0L non-turbo,I currently have the motor pulled, torn down to the block and put on an engine stand awaiting re-build.. right now i am 15 (suprized?) lol... Soon to come out will be the trans so i can swap over to the getrag trans from the turbo 2.0 model (will be swaping axles as well.. since you have to) as far as motor mods, im going to put in a whole turbo bottom end ( new crank, rods, pistons, rings, bearings, ect. ... but also the cranks from turbo and N/A are the same..) Then ARP rod bolts, new cylinder head, ported and polished, 3 angle valve job, oversize valves (how big could i go? and where can i get them?) New valve springs (anyone make high lift ones? along w/ lifters and retianers?) cometic head gasket, new cam, that will have a re-grind done to it, final specs will be.. 262° duration .446Lift, then a new distributor, MPFI conversion, main harness swap from a 2.0 turbo, ECM swap from a 2.0 turbo, exhaust manifold from a 2.0 turbo, T3/T4 turbo, HKS SSQV BOV, charger pipes for the intercooler.. big intercooler lol.. but not too big.., new radiator, all new gaskets for everything, new water pump, new oil pump, full MSD ignition (coil pack, wires, 6AL, ect.), intercooler spray bar, water injection system maybe (how easy is it to put in? and how do you put it in? just in the intercooler pipe where it connects to the intake manifold basically?) oil cooler, a bunch more, there will be interior and exterior/body mods as well, this just covers the motor, so what do you guys think? anything youd change? if you could answer some of my ? it would be a big help, thanks to everyone

"Hondas are like tampons, every pussy has one!!!"

Re: My plans
Saturday, March 03, 2007 8:52 PM
you do relize you just named off about $3,000 worth of stuff, how do you plan on paying for all of this.
Saturday, March 03, 2007 8:59 PM
Yea.. well i plan on getting a job soon, and i work on other people cars for them on the side, and repair nextel cell phones and get people free ringtones wallapapers and games n put housings on and things outta the house, sell the old parts i dont need... paint cars for people, ect. a buncha side jobs basically along w/ a regular job when i go to get one lol

Saturday, March 03, 2007 11:20 PM
i'm sorry but your kinda young i think you need to focus on school. it will take you at least 5 years to do what your talking about with a 15 year olds budget which aint much, nowhere near 3-4 grand which is what your looking at. i wouldn't trust a 15 year old to work on my car who ever lets you work on there car is a real nut job. grow up you'll never do it.
Sunday, March 04, 2007 12:12 AM
How can u be 15 if u were born in 86 go back to school, and while ur there take a math class. And if u need a job McDonalds is hiring, that is the only place that hires 15 year olds. Maybe u will post in 5 years telling us u got the engine done. lol
Sunday, March 04, 2007 7:28 AM
Yea, i know, i had to put that i was older to get a profile... and it wont be too bad, all of my paycheck will go into the car.. and by the way, theres mcdonalds, ranchers, and subway, and a few other places that hire at 15, Im in a car club, Soon to be building up a cavi motor for a guy in it, I have a honda civic (D16Y8) motor im building up for a guy now, and maybe a fiero motor build when its warmer again, and a few other jobs, plus i get parts n stuff from people for xmas, my bday, and other holidays, im hoping for another 1-1/2 years for the motor to be done, then go to interior (completely stripped out), then while driving go to suspension and brakes, wheels and tires, then body, ect. I have some other jobs and things to that im also going to do on the side, (nextel stuff.. other minor car things, ect.) and all the money will go into this, Im soon selling my other cars (84 porsche 944, and 89 honda accord) and if your wondering how i got those, well.. sunbird i got for $500 off my dad cause it blew a head gasket and he didnt feel like messing w/ it, which brought me to this idea, the porsche was impounded (my sister boyfriend own a towing buisness) the impound fees werent paid, they got the car, sold it to me for $800, then the accord was my dads, sold it to me for $1200 (took forever to pay them off lol) but soon i should be selling them, to bring in a little more $

Sunday, March 04, 2007 8:38 AM
if and thats a big if, you do accually get this done, you will have that car beat all to hell the first time you get it out on the road or you'll blow the engine. you don't have any driving exp. for one. and i bet your hand was pretty worn out after all those hand jobs you gave trying to come up with $2500 for those cars that probly exsist only in your dreams. your going to get kicked out of here for lying about your age. shame on you now run along little feller its time for your breast feeding.
Sunday, March 04, 2007 9:20 AM
I have some driving experiance, plus im breakin in the motor good before i really do much with it, and yea, beleive what you want @!#$in fag

Sunday, March 04, 2007 9:20 AM
Damn, what a mess to read. I hope you know you are planning on building your car from head to toe, in one post, with no periods. With that said, your crazy. Put an intake, header and exhaust on your car, and call it a day. Save your money. You are way too young to spend that kind of money on an old car. Do something a little more useful at your age.
Sunday, March 04, 2007 9:24 AM
Yea, i know, i would do that, but i want more power, Money wont really be much of a factor once i get a job, I thought about building up the porsche, but it is WAY to expencive compared to the sunbird, plus the sunbird is an easy car to work on, and can make respectable power when finished, and at my age, this is a more useful way to spend money than like 99% of other people my age do

Sunday, March 04, 2007 11:58 AM
imo i would find a 3rd gen 2.4 or 2.2 and build it,I had a 87 grand am,2.5L along with a ton of other early and late 80's cars and trucks,they are alot easier to work on but if you have a goal then i say go for it and if you really are 15 and are doing alot of your own mechanical work then props to you,you know that Cody kid from American Choppers?I believe he was only 15 when he first started with those guys buildin choppers.So take all the criticizm as constructive and mod how you want to mod.

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"

Sunday, March 04, 2007 12:08 PM
Yea, Your one of the coolest people on here, first posative person i think lol.. thanks.. hope to get it done and be able to show it, its gonna b pretty cool, i hope

Monday, March 05, 2007 7:31 AM
Personally. I have burnt more than my share of money on cars. As long as your really know what your getting into. Go for it. I would save all the money you need before even starting the project. Also your first car will always be one of your all time favorites. So, pick a good one if you can.

I know of two of my friends that saved for years, then built their cars. "VR4 & turbo'ed CRX" Neither cars are here anymore. Both were smashed up bad. CRX from street racing into a telephone phone, and the VR4 being driven way to fast, and couldn't make the turn.. and ended up up-side-down in the bottom of a pond. Both were young kids that didn't know how to drive a car with that much power. Were the cars cool, hell yes they were. One still doesn't have a driver license three years later, and the other still has knee problems from the wreck.

Just start with a everyday car. You'll drive like an ass, which we all have done, and learn from there. Then build the car you want to have and drive, by then you might be mature enough to own & operate the car. It's going to take a long while to save enough money to do everything you plan on doing.

Man I sound old.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, March 05, 2007 8:37 AM
David those are some pretty good words of advice from MD-LD9. I say do what you have to do to put the motor back reliably and drive it while you save money. My dad's girlfriend just bought an '04 Sunfire for $5500. That's dirtcheap and the eco is a strong four cylinder out of the gate, plus in the end you may decide to go with a different car to mod so I wouldn't be impatient with wanting to do too much to your first car. Even just doing a rebuild will gain you some knowledge (definately a good thing if cars is a hobby). I'd hate to think of the people on this site who don't have it in them to pull a motor and age doesn't mean shlt in my book. I've seen people your age I wouldn't worry about working on my car, and then people 10yrs older or more that I wouldn't let check the air pressure in my tires.

Monday, March 05, 2007 10:41 AM
I love how people like to play the age card. No one here knows this kids history. It is very possible that he learned everything about engine building from personal experience helping a relative (i.e father, brother, etc) or even older friends. I'm almost 21 and didn't know @!#$ about engines a couple years ago. All it takes is research and/or personal experience to learn how to build a motor. I was also a much more attentive driver at 16 than the majority of middle aged idiot ass-hats on the road.

But...take what Mike (-MD-LD9) said into consideration. You need to reallize when it is an appropriate time to get on the throttle. Majority of kids destroy their cars because mommy and daddy pay for everything, so they have little respect for it. There is the exception of those who do pay for everything and do all the work, but feel they need to prove something by street racing.

And if you already have that huge grocery list with nothing purchased, I would strongly consider looking into another car. Probably something with the Lima (2.3L turbo ford engine)...A cheap and VERY potent platform.

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.
Monday, March 05, 2007 12:08 PM
1st off i want to thank you guys for your advice and not bein an a**hole like some of the others, but ive taken it into consideration, and i really want to do a build on this car, when i get my license, im not really going to speed for a while... at least a year or so after i have had it, i have some but not much experiance right now, but im still going to wait, because i dont want to f*** the car up with all that money into it, and yes i am doing all the work myself and buying everything myself, like i said i BOUGHT it off my dad for $500 and the accord for $1200, iv bought all the parts i have so far (turbo block, drive axles for conversion to turbo trans, new crank), my dad told me if i wanted to do it, its my money, the only thing hes done to help with it, is let me get a part sooner like if im buying it off someone and its going to be gone soon, and let me pay him back, i have payed him back on everything so far, along with things aside from the car too, the way i got experiance, is from just tearing into a motor, the first i ever build was last year, and it was a 3.1 motor from a 99 malibu, it was horrable, but now i have experiance with it all, i studied and reasearched alot on this car and motor, trans, everything, and always used to watch my dad work on it, when he had it, I have a repair manual for it (havent used it since i bought it lol), and the sunbird motor it really REALLY simple, plus back then i didnt really know anything about motors, but i really do thank you for the advice, I going to continue the build when its warm again, clean up the blocks, hopefully get the pistons and rods from the turbo model, and bearings, rings, seals, and new oil pump, ect. and drop in the bottom end soon, and pull the trans and old axles, ect. I think this motor will really be built good when im done, i know alot about this motor and car, and its fairly simple, i hope itll be fast when its done and cant wait

Monday, March 05, 2007 2:00 PM
i think its damn cool what your doing dude. when i was your age i always thought about doing all that stuff. had the knowledge and everything just no money. and here in vegas people are anal about there cars and dont believe that a 15 yr. old could do anything worth while to a car so side work was out of the question, and no place here really hires at 15.. you got some good knowledge in your head and i say go for it. but like the other guys said take what MD-LD9 said as some advice for when your project is complete.
Monday, March 05, 2007 2:03 PM
I know, and thanks man, i got alot of knowlege about cars.. actually im smarter than my dad about them now lol and alot of other grow people i know, and its good, because its something i love, and can actaully do more of in the future, i already got like a car and nextel kinda shop going outta the house, but yea, i took it into consideration, thanks to everyone (except the discouragers lol)

Monday, March 05, 2007 2:08 PM
Bro I'm one of those who believe you can do it too. Like I said before age doesn't mean anything to me. I put my first car in the shop to replace a starter. I was 17 and $300 lighter in the pocket afterwards. Never had a car in the shop since, and pulled my first engine in the front yard (unlevel at that) with a 4 X 8 sheet of plywood laying down. Replaced a head at nighttime with a spotlight because I was working dayshift long hours as well, but I grew up around a dad who always drove a POS and learned about working on cars from him. I've seen him drop the pan, pull the heads, and overhaul an engine in the driveway. Good luck with the project, and if you do boost it enjoy it with respect. It will KILL you to see something happen to the car, especially your first car that you've put a lot of yourself in.

Monday, March 05, 2007 2:11 PM
Thanks to you too lol, and yea, like it would kill me to see it go, lol, thats why im not gonna be stupid about it when i first get my license lol, but yea, i will have alot of myself in it, in that im doing all the work myself, all the time, adn money, and labor lol

Monday, March 05, 2007 4:28 PM
yeah. to all the people that say a 15 year old dont make 3g's a year. your @!#$ retarded. since i was 15 ive been makeing between 6-7G's a year. i started off with a bone stock 4dr sedan that looked like crap and turned it in to what it is now only after 2 years. and yes. i am 17 right now. i say go for it david. its your car build it how you want it and not for everyone else. I also grew up around a workign garage and a dad that did everything himself. So far ive done everything to my car myself includeing a motor swap and 2 tranny swaps. including all the suspension work i have done (new ball joints, polly a-arm bushings, etc) i bet 90% of the kids my age couldnt check there own oil. but you learn by watching and also doing. i say go for it and have a good time doing it.

Monday, March 05, 2007 4:35 PM
Thanks man, alot of people on here have given me encouragement, some didnt, but most did, and it has encouraged me alot, i just learned to ignore the people that critisize it, and do it, I think it will pretty cool when its done, what you think? the motor stuff is at the top, and i want the onderground "sport" body kit, Z24 cavi hood, paint it gloss black, interior have some APC racing seats, black/blue, interior taken from gray to black, blue interior and unerglow neons, loud system (eventually lol) i think itll be pretty sweet, what all have you done to your cavi? seems pretty cool

Monday, March 05, 2007 4:40 PM
check my profile!

Monday, March 05, 2007 7:00 PM
Wojo wrote:yeah. to all the people that say a 15 year old dont make 3g's a year. your @!#$ retarded. since i was 15 ive been makeing between 6-7G's a year.

Had a friend I went to school with from elementary on up who made a dam killing mowing grass in his subdivision. Turned 17 iirc and paid cash for a near new S-10. Guess what happened after he got the S-10. Loaded his pushmower up and started cutting grass in other subdivisions. I've got a lot of respect you teenagers who will put in the work.

David I hope to see this car come to fruition. Old HS buddy had two 1st gen and one 2nd gen Sunbird. Always like the 2nd gens.

Monday, March 05, 2007 7:39 PM
yeah. i started off detailing cars at my local car dealership and worked my ass off. that was the hardest job to date. i then moved on to pizza hut and that was a PITA job. i would usually supposed to be off at like 9 pm and end up being there till 1. i never really complained tho. cause i knew i was getting that overtime. alot of people would bitch but in a way its positive. i then moved on to NAPA where i make a hell of alot more money ( ive hit 2500 bucks this year already) and have come to respect a good paying job. theres just some of us teens out there that like to work for what we have and stay outta trouble. i still say go for it. and do what you wanna do. if it requires you to have 2 jobs to do it. and your comfortable with that then stay with it and work your ass off. it will make you a better person in the long run.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search