Blcoked Muffler, maybe? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Blcoked Muffler, maybe?
Monday, February 26, 2007 10:26 PM
I have a Magnaflow Cat back duel exhaust. I've been wondering this for some time, but only today was able to actually take a look at it.

The driver's side exhaust muffler has very little exhaust gases coming out of it, and it's cold, which struck me as being quite odd. The passenger muffler is fine. Nice flow, and a good warm temp. Is it possible for a muffler to get blocked? I mean, I know it's just a Y-pipe, so it can't be the engine. It's gatta be somewhere in the pipe or muffler after the Y bend.

What do you guys think?

Re: Blcoked Muffler, maybe?
Tuesday, February 27, 2007 8:03 PM
I have never seen a magnaflow muffler up close, but I am pretty sure they are a straight through design. I could be wrong. If they are straight through, then you could check to see if it is blocked by some sort of flexible wire, or a fish took. I'm sure a small tape measure may even do the job. That way you will know if it is blocked or not. Who knows maybe some part inside the muffler corroded and fell and is now actually blocking the passage of the gases.

Also...I know sometimes i've seen some litle 4 cylinder cars with dual exhaust, particularily some neon R/Ts, that when really cold you can only see the exhaust comming out of one pipe. I've noticed it on a sunfire before too, it could just be the way the exhaust naturally decides to travel?

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 10:25 PM
The exhaust follows the path of least resistance. they're not even pipes so it's gonna flow unevenly.

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Wednesday, February 28, 2007 8:48 AM
The01Cav wrote:The exhaust follows the path of least resistance. they're not even pipes so it's gonna flow unevenly.

But my concern is that the gases coming out of the driver's side is cold. Very cold.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 1:13 PM
I reason is definitly its true uneven flow, Now with true dual exhaust will flow evenly, My opinion its completely ok. Its normal.
Wednesday, February 28, 2007 6:55 PM
i have dual magnaflows and i noteced one morning that it looked like more on one side tham the other, but i put may hand over the tips and both are fine. it is probaly just because it is at idol or a wind, who knows. do they sound good? usaly mufflers get worn through and become louder, not get cloged up.
Thursday, March 01, 2007 6:38 AM
neb15 wrote:i have dual magnaflows and i noteced one morning that it looked like more on one side tham the other, but i put may hand over the tips and both are fine. it is probaly just because it is at idol or a wind, who knows. do they sound good? usaly mufflers get worn through and become louder, not get cloged up.

It seems like it's gotten a little quieter actually. And I know it got quieter during the onset of the cold, but it got quieter about 2 weeks ago.
Oh well. Maybe I'll just take it over to my exhaust guy. He can take a look to make sure everything is okay.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search